Happy Birthday to You, Lord Baden-Powell

I'm sure the old Lad and his Mrs. Appreciated it.

During EuroJam, Gill Clay, the granddaughter of Lord Baden-Powell, took to the skies at Gilwell.The founders granddaughter was seen climbing Gilwell Parks newest activity High Ropes. Gill, who is in her late sixties, climbed the 12-metre pole with more ease than a lot of people half her age, and launched herself onto the trapeze.

Wish I'd been there to see it,

Eamonn.

Hi,

over here we call 22 Feb. "Thinking Day". Many scouts go to work or to school/university wearing their uniform or at least the neckerchief.

Many troops start charitable projects on that day.

Do you celebrate Thinking Day, too?

best regards,

Volker

Guten Tag! Slouchhat,

If we could get scouts to wear their uniforms to school we would proclaim it miracle day. (Most Cub and Boy Scouts around these parts don't wear their uniforms to meetings as it is).

I could get my Cubs to wear their uniform everyday of the weak- but they are a pretty gung ho lot- and their uniform is a lot cooler than the school uniform. But the older boys- wear their scout uniform to the Junior High or High School? That is not a far cry from martyrdom.

But maybe it is a regional thing. Probably Bob Whites boys have enough pride in their uniform because he delivers the program that they were promised. They most likely perform the flag ceremonies at the High basketball games. But around here uniforms are pretty scarce. Maybe we need to do more thinking.

Happy thinking day!

Pappy

(This message has been edited by Pappy)

http://www.ssrguides.org/resources.php?sub=tdceremony

More info found here about why we call it "Thinking Day"

It's traditional to get up before dawn and hike to a high place where you can see the sunrise and take part in "The Great Think", thinking thoughts of friendship for scouts and guides around the world. I keep telling myself I'm going to revive this tradition - NEXT YEAR, really, I will. But it will have to be on the closest Saturday because my work day starts before dawn!

Peace to you and yours!

Anne in Mpls

Here in the USA, World Thinking Day is celebrated by Girl Scouts (GSUSA), but not by BSA.

Girl Scouts celebrate the fact that they are members of a worldwide movement and think of their sister Girl Scouts & Girl Guides around the world.

Many GSUSA Service Units (think BSA District) will have Thinking Day events where each participating Troop will take a different country and do some kind of presentation on it. It will usually involve some kind of display on the culture, food, and Scout program.

Even if there is no group event available, most individual Troops still celebrate Thinking Day with their own activities. These usually include a donation to the Juliette Low World Friendship Fund.

BTW - The Scouts in our CS Pack and BS Troop, while they usually do not wear their uniform to school because their meetings are not directly after school, do wear their uniforms to Den, Pack, and Troop meetings. The boys need special permission to wear their Scout uniform to school in place of their school uniform. If they are sponsoring something at school like raising or lowering the flags, food or toy drive, etc, they are allowed to substitute their Scout uniform, and they do.