Is Training Enough (the BobWhite thread)

There is formal training and informal training. One may learn via both methods and conversely, not learn much in either. I'm fully trained for my position(s), have taken extensive supplemental training and have even staffed many courses. I still keep learning.

Some of the courses have been "duds." Some excellent. But you know what, none have had a negative effect. I think getting trained shows the Scouts, parents and other Scouters that we care enough about the program that we sacrifice a little of our time to take the training.

The BSA does have a Scouting program that they would like to be administered in a certain way. Yes, there is great flexibility on how it may be administered but as leaders in the program, we've pledge to deliver the BSA program. Therefore, it would be beneficial to know what that program is.

I've got a radical concept! Don't make training mandatory; make knowledge of the program mandatory for Scouters. I've had some trained adults who just don't get it as we say. I normally don't like merit badge classes as a troop meeting but one of the boys wanted to organize and attend a fingerprinting merit badge class, taught by a local policeman, for one of our troop meetings. As Scoutmaster, I approved his plan. Well, only two Scouts asked for a "blue card" from me before the class started. Only about two more asked for a card from me during the class. To save time, a mother wanted to pre-fill out all of the blue cards during the meeting, have me sign them all and then distribute them to the Scouts. My answer was no. Why on Earth would I want to wait for the boys to fill them out? Wouldn't it be much more efficient if she did that? Like I said, some just don't get it.

Hi folks,

Something Ive always felt about the work-related trainings Ive attended over the years is that, compared to the actual presentation of the material by the instructor, the interaction of the class participants themselves was of equal, and often times of greater, value. By listening to and sharing ideas and actual experiences related to the material with my classmates I came away from the trainings with a better, more real world, sense of the training material and how to apply it.

I had a discussion with our Committee Chair just the other day about how the Cub Scout portion of the monthly District Round Table was being presented. Originally it was more structured but as of late it has been more free form (part of the reason being the general program has eaten into the time allotted for the Cub Specific program). I told her I enjoyed the free form to an extent. Like this forum, its nice to be able to discuss problems or request ideas from other leaders in the same boat as you (even if that boat is bigger or better manned than yours).

In my humble opinion training is important and should be mandatory. Leaders, especially new ones like myself, need to get a basic understanding of the program and what is expected of them. Then comes the implementation, the actual work. This is where the shared experience comes in. Unfortunately when most people hear training they think thick books full of facts to be memorized and boring lectures and that puts them off.

Perhaps the formal trainings could be retooled and expanded. In addition to the booklearnin seasoned leaders could be called upon to share their experiences about what worked for them and what didnt all in the context of one size doesnt fit all and dont be afraid to try new ideas or rework old ones. Maybe allowing folks to use the online training to get the nuts and bolts and then requiring a roundtable session where the material could be discussed and seasoned leaders could clarify points and make suggestions for implementation.

Training doesnt guarantee a great leader, but it at least provides the tools and the exchange of ideas with fellow trainees and the instructor helps to fire the imagination. Keeping that exchange going after the training is key to helping keep the motivation high. You never stop learning! At least thats how it works for me.

YIS

Mike

Not to take away anything that I said in what I posted.

I have been blessed to have as a very dear and close friend one of the greatest Scout Leaders I have ever met.

He has held just about every important Scouting Office that anyone can back in the UK.

I however got to know him when he was still a everyday Scout Leader.

He does know the program, he is a wonderful Trainer of Scouter's, but more than all of this he just seems to have way with kids.

He knows how to talk with them and knows how to inspire them.

He is also very good at bringing young Scouter's on board and making them feel that they are wanted and needed along with having them feel that they are doing a great job.

I have known him for a very long time, in fact since I was a Venture Scout.

He took me under his wing when I first became Scout Leader of the 17th Fulham.

Over the years he has been my role model, my Scouting hero, my mentor, my friend.

I love him dearly.

While I'm maybe starting to think that I'll never be as good as he is. I do know that I learned more from just being around him and having him as a friend than I have from any training.

He of course is all for training, in fact he was on staff when I took my WB at Gilwell back in 1975.

Training is very important, but when you find someone like my friend that can show you the way. You are really blessed, even if at times you are green with envy.

Yes Barry I do love this Scouting stuff.

Eamonn.

Is training enough? No, but it's a start. IMHO I think training provides us with a common ground, a foundation for building a great team and providing an exceptional program in order to foster growth of the Aims of Scouting.

Is knowing what the methods are sufficient to ensure success? No, but again gives the leadership of the unit a common ground on which to build.

It's been my observation that every unit is very different. Each one delivers the program a little bit differently than the others. That, IMO, had a lot to do with how the adult leaders interpret thier training, the Aims and Methods, and thier experiences. Also it depends on how those doing the training delvier the material. There's a whole lotta variables.

Do we follow or enact program? I think we develop a program based on our individual unit's needs, dependant on our style of leadership and our vision of what the program should be. I don't think any of the units in our area do things the same. Close, but not the same by any means.