NYLT for a 13 year old

Having a small, younger troop, I am planning on sending a few of the older boys to camp for leader training. I'm curious what kinds of training they offer in that week at camp, and whether a 13 year old/Star scout would benefit from the training, or is it for older boys. Can you give me an idea of the kinds of methods they use to bring leadership to these boys. I was told it was similar to Wood Badge, as in more management types of training, over leadership that was in the old WB. I have no idea.

I went to leadership training when I was 13. I think it is the ideal time to go if 7th grade is completed.

The latest NYLT is patterned after Woodbadge. They don't have all the Cub Scout/Boy Scout/Varsity Scout/Venture Scout orientation, and it takes place mainly outdoors all the time, but the core curriculum is the same. Sadly, there is no "ticket" for them to work. I think there should be, so that I could see some of this leadership practiced when they get back.

I think that is a question you need to ask the course director for the course you plan on sending the scout to and the individual scout.

I know our course director likes to see scouts at least Star and 14 years old. He expects a certain degree of maturity, basic scout skills and physical capability. The course he teaches is not just book learnin' stuff. It has a significant physical component to it and many scouts under 14 might not be up to the physical elements of the program he presents. Among other things they do a night hike, carry their backpacks everywhere, and do other things that physically challenge the group.

SA

Some 12 year olds can handle NYLT, some 16 year old can't. Know the boy in question and make your own determination (that is why Scoutmaster approval is often requested for most of these types of special events).

I agree that you have to know the boy and make your own determination - Star and 14 years old is a rule-of-thumb.

I would also be good if the boy was SPL/ASPL or was looking to become one soon. That way, his training can be applied to his position and will most benefit the troop.

The feedback that I got from my current SPL and ASPL, who attended the course last year, was very good. My SPL helps me out with TLT and is able to bring in his NYLT prespective on things.

My son attended NYLT last fall as a 13-year-old Star Scout, and I have seen a definite change in how he handles himself -- he has clearly benefited from it. But I agree that you need to make the decision based on your knowledge of the scout in question.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended NYLT as a 13 year-old Star Scout in 2006. I now am a member of Patriots Path Council's NYLT Staff and staffed 2 courses as a Troop Guide in 2007 and back on staff in 2008 as a senior Stafff member. From a staff point of view I feel that the scouts that get the most out of it are at least 14. I think the only time to send 13 year olds are when you have a very young troop and you need those boys to be the next SPL or ASPLs. Many troops will not send 13 year olds to the course because they understand this. Please post what you think or send me a private message if you have any more NYLT of other training ideas.

-Frank

Thank you all for your honest assessments. The scout involved is my son (he was awarded his Star in January, and will be 14 in July). We had several 15 year old boys that we accepted into the troop, but they were all friends, and when one was pulled out, because his stepfather got upset with one of his son's friends in the troop, there was a cascade that took all of them out of the troop, or they soon will be. I'm trying to get them to join a crew that I started, 2 years ago, to keep them in scouting, but we had to bite the bullet and just let them go. There was too much baggage that was only going to tear down our few remaining, younger boys.

It looks like we have 5 new boys (all 5th graders) coming into the troop, by next month, and there will be at least the possibility of 7 to 10 Webelos coming later this year, if it is meant to be. My son is the only candidate for SPL, and is up for the challenge. He will have his Life rank by late summer, and is preregistered for Philmont on the Council contingent, in June of 09. I was hoping the other boys would go with him, but that is probably not realistic. He still wants to do everything that is planned, but I'm still a little ambivalent, because he is my son, and this is a big step for him. I don't doubt he can do it, but being the SM and having him in this situation is not what I was wanting to see happen so soon. He already has his Eagle project planned for next year (with my help), and all of the hard Eagle required MB's are completed (none with my signature on them) for the most part, so this thing seems to be taking off, no matter what. He and I went into OA in May, and he's dancing up a storm (he's been dancing since he was 7) and loving being an Arrowman. He spoke late as a child, but has been on fire for scouting ever since he brought that flyer home in 1st grade, and 6 1/2 years later, here he is.