Has chivalry been completely excised from BSA?

The Oath and Law are all elements of chivalry, but nowhere does the word itself or discussion of the cohesive whole concept appear in current BSA literature.

Even in these excellent forums, my search found only twenty threads mentioning the word.

Hmmm...

I think chivalry is slowly making a comeback. For a long time it was actually socially unacceptable. As a SM I have begun to teach chivalry to my boys and encourage them to be boldly chauvanistic. Hold doors, let others go first, be polite, defend others against bullies, make eye contact when meeting someone, leave the area when using a cell phone, introduce oneself first and offer your hand. Address your elders as sir or ma'am, be helpful, courteous, kind, friendly ... (duh!) I have noticed that people will now say thank you when you hold the door instead of giving me a scowl.

It was intesting a few months back that after doing a little presentation on making introductions, my girl friend came with me to the Christmas COH and before the night was over she commented on how nice these young men were and that many of them came over, introduced themselves and chatted for a minute or two. This was something that hadn't happened before in the other troop I was with.

We had Webelos visitors come from a troop not planning on joining up with us, but had come to visit anyway. After the meeting one of the moms went up to my TG and thanked him for a job well done with the boys' activity that evening. He introduced himself, shook her hand, thanked her for her kind comments and said he hoped her boy would consider joining our troop instead of the other one. Upon completion of that little conversation she went over to the informational table and picked up a registration form for her boy. Chivalry if done from the heart is a serious leadership tool that every boy should have in his arsenal.

Stosh

You hit on one of my pet peeves lack of manners. If you look around you will see manners and manliness discussed. Try reading those.

For some reason manliness seem to be pushed more. It should included Chivalry, but sadly, no one seems to think those are manly skills. Some have even called it girly-man.

Welcome to the campfire, Knight, and keep reminding every to include Chivalry in thsir programs.

Kat  :)