I guess the question is where does one draw a line with respect to fitness and leadership. I would not recommend it be based on body shape or type. There is ample research to suggest some larger folks at their "natural" weight can be fairly fit, healthy and active but will not look like a model.

On the other hand if adult leadership is not offering scouts opportunities to participate in high adeventure activities because the adults can't keep up due to personal weight and fitness issues, thats a problem.

Adults as role models don't need to look like television fitness gurus, but should demonstrate healthy lifestyles in diet and physical activity.

SA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SA, not to disagree with you but to add a comment, this unit has several leaders who, for different reasons, cannot do the more strenuous activities. I think that there IS an element of prejudice with regard to obesity. I think this prejudice might be demonstrated when we are sympathetic to the person whose knees have degenerated to the point they can't backpack...when, at the same time, we are less sympathetic to the person who declines due to their weight. In this case, it is possible that we're judging the overweight person unfairly. We're definitely not doing it on a basis that is comparable to our judgement of the person with bad knees.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Just a thought

I know a family that is apparently predisposed to alcholism, nice people over all, they just cant hold their liquor. Should they be allowed to be drunk at scouting events? Why should we discriminate against one form of addiction (drugs) and not another (food)?

I am well aware some people are more prone to weight gain, but are not others prone to other vices? We say be kind to the corpulent individual, why not is the same said to the victims of other unsavory genetic traits? Could it be because being stout is a calamity that was only an attribute of the rich and powerful as opposed to alcholism and drug addiction which cut across all of society's borders

We all have a variable cornucopia a of bacteria living in our gut. Some are very efficient at breaking down foodstuffs into energy. Others are not. Some of these we ick up very early - like when we pass through the birth canal (Yeech!).

Studies have found profound differences between the bacteria in those who were born vaginally vs. c-section. Those individuals with inefficient bacteria means that they can eat vastly more quantities of food (intake more calories) and since the food is broken down much differently, not gain weight compared to another individual eating the same foods with the same level of activity/exercise.

However, IMO, a basic level of fitness is required by Scouters in direct contact with the boys so that they can do basic outdoor activities (hikes, climbs, swimming, biking, etc.). Heck, I'm only 5'6" and top the scales now at 210 lb. It was a struggle to get to 199 lb so I could trek at Double H this past summer. But I did, pulled my own weight and enjoyed myself. It was a struggle sometimes to keep up but hey, nobody's fault but mine. We do owe it to the Scouts to keep of modicum of fitness.

Gonna' have to face it, you're addicted to spuds.

Food is not physically addicting like alcohol or heroin.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the guy who gained 20, 30 or even 40 lbs after college. I'm talking about the guy whose gut gets into the room three minutes before his head. Or the fellow who has bigger boobs (can I say "boobs") than Raquel Welch.

I can call the kettle black. I went from 185 when I graduated from college to 280 lbs. I was fat.

When you walk into a McDs and see a pile of blubber sitting at a table consume two double quarters with cheese, two large fries, a 20 piece and wash it down with a large shake, that's not genes. Yes, I used to see said fellow on a regular basis.

Being fat does no on any favors. It increases your risk of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, joint problems and likely more than I can think of right now.

I was at a local high school recently talking to one of the teachers when a woman came in and started a tirade because there was no parking immediately in front of the school. She was there for an evening class and was furious because the parking lot was about 200 yards away from her class and that "was just too far to walk." The administrator said, we do have handicapped parking spots in front of the building. She yelled back, "I don't need a handicapped spot. Do I look handicapped? It's just insane to expect me to walk that far to get to my class! I'm dropping it and complaining to the school board."

The problem is that no matter how industrious we are, human being are lazy. That's why we've developed so much technology, to make things easier for us. Unfortunately, our advances in transportation have just promoted laziness and we've passed that on to our kids.

The pool's a mile away? I'll drive you. The 7-11 is half a mile? I'll drive you.

Gym teachers get angry phone calls because they ask their classes to run or walk a mile around the track. A whole mile, that's insane. How can you expect a kid to WALK A MILE?

No matter what you say, genes or hormones or strange ailments, it all comes down to eating more than you burn.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

I agree with Acco that unless there are extenuating circumstances, adult leaders should generally be fit enough to deliver an active outdoor program and model a healthy lifestyle of diet and physical activity.

All I'm saying is, a person can be quite fit and healthy and not necessarily have the chiseled features of a body builder or Hollywood action hero. In fact, some folks may have a natural body shape that on the surface would lead one to believe they are overweight and unfit, however given their level of activity and fitness, they are just fine they way they are.

Looks alone will not tell you what is right for any one individual. Now if a leader drops scouts off 5 miles from camp so the scouts hike in and the leader drives up to camp, sets up giant hammock and parks themselves in it for a weekend, stuffing themselves with doughnuts and chili dogs that's not the model I would want for an adult leader.

A different leader with the same physique might strap on a backpack and stay right with a group of 14-18 year olds for a 50 miler. You won't be able to tell which is which just by looking at them.

It'd also quite possible for that fit looking, active adult, with a family history of heart problems could keel over on the trail at age 45.

SA

I think we as scouters can help set a better example when it comes to diet and exercise than many of us do now. Here's an example. Several times over the years, I have attended some scouter trainings that served lunch by demonstrating dutch oven cooking. I have yet to attend one were decent meals were cooked. It seems that many are under the impression that if a meal is cooked in a dutch oven it has to be exorbitantly fattening! That simply is hogwash.

Why, when people cook cobbler, do they need to coat the top with a layer of butter? I've never used butter on cobbler and it tastes great. Why when people cook a Mt Man breakfast don't they drain all the grease from cooking a package of bacon? Is there really any reason all that grease needs to stay in the pot when the eggs and potatoes are added? I always drain the grease and it tastes great. Why are all the dishes greasy and fattening? I just don't understand.(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

Don't want to argue but I don't think that I've ever had a dutch oven meal that you could call "fattening." Pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Roast turkey. Chili. Stew. Yum. Just hold yourself to one biscuit or chunk of cornbread.

Can't say that I've ever seen cobbler with butter on top.

The worst meals are the lunches at training sessions where they bring in a giant sub and huge bags of chips.

That said, if you usually follow a healthy diet and do some moderate exercise, you can spluge every now and then with a second piece of cornbread AND some cobbler.

I think I understand what SWScouter is trying to say. The cooking this unit does is highly variable. One style is to create multiple layers of ground beef with cheese and Doritos. That, and leaving all the grease of the (not lean) ground beef in the concoction. That kind of fat-heavy meal actually was good for mountain men at one time...whose lifestyle needed those huge caloric intakes to stay even. But today this style of cooking sets an unhealthy example for the boys who are tending more and more to be couch potatoes. When I suggest something a bit less heavy, I'm outvoted by the boys and the leaders.

To me the key is the ability to choose moderation over self-indulgence. It's kind of like the difference between a long-term outlook versus short-term gain.

"Don't judge a book by its cover"

My high school football coach was 5'7" and weighed roughly 225 pounds. On most charts he's "overweight" and maybe even "obese." Guess what... he is far from "fat!" He works out EVERY DAY and does martial arts. He is as strong as an ox. He is one person that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley even if I've got an assault rifle and he's doesn't have a gun.

I think it really comes down to Body Composition.

Exercise does so much more than just physical health. It relieves stress. It gives an individual a chance to clear his or her mind. Exercise allows you to get away from life's problems even if just for an hour a day.

I don't eat perfect. In fact I eat a lot of junk food. Fries, burgers, etc. But I don't drink soda, I typically have a salad every day and I get some exercise (walking from class to class is significant amount of exercise to some here).

Genetics can play a part here, but so can a person's lifestyle. I get tired of hearing the same people who are overweight watching TV and eat junk food tell me that their weight is due to their family history. Sure, it may play a part, but so does the fact that you don't exercise, you lay around all the time, and you eat junk food.

I had a roommate last semester who was largely obese. He ate a ton of fries and burgers and he took the shuttle everywhere he went. I doubt he knows where the Rec Center is on campus. He was in the marching band. I'm told they had a day where they practiced and then had a couple hour break. He made somebody bring him food rather than him walking 100 yards to get his own! Just glad I'm out of there.. I couldn't stand him.

Anyway, so I'm going to stop now before I really rattle on more from what I've learned in my classes under a Health Management Curriculum:)

Hops, if you'd have been paying attention, no one is talking about the people like your coach. Football players, weight lifters or Shaq.

We're talking about people who are FAT. The guys whose belly gets into the room well before his head does. Three chins. Guys like your old roommate.

There's a big difference between Hulk Hogan and Chris Farley and everyone is aware of it.

Nevere assume that someone is incapable of someting until proven. I know a little old lady (75) who is a overweight. She looks like a classic german grandma. Big thing is, never, I mean never act like she is incapable of doing something or you might loose your head! That woman can pick up an 18 wheeler tire and throw it at you! You would never think she was physically capable of carring her groceries much less anything more. I saw her run down a teenager who dared suggest she could not do something.

True, on some people it can show what their problem is (excess eating) but if one has joined scouts there must be someone in there that wants to be doing the activites.  I have restrictions now and you should hear me whish I could go with them! Sometimes it is not I cannot but more I would hold them back. I wait with fustration for them to return and tell me all about it and encourage them to do as much as they can while they can, just in case.........

Before I post my comments, I want to give a little background on myself. For my profession, I currently sell exercise equipment and have about 5-6 years experience in doing so. Also, I've got about a decade of experience coaching girls high school track and field. I am a registered counselor for the Personal Fitness merit badge. I've designed workout programs for many friends and family and taught more people flexibility than I can remember.

As you can probably guess, I am a big proponent of physical fitness, but not one of those nutcases that lives on protein bars and works out three hours a day. I currently work out 5-6 days a week (40-90 minutes at a time) and eat healthy.

First of all, I learned very quickly when dealing with teenage girls not to use the words "fat" and "skinny". Those words can drive them to do some very harmful things to their bodies. I've learned to use the words "in-shape" and "out of shape". I coached girls that looked overweight, but were actually very healthy and in good shape. I've also had girls that were thin and ate a ton of junk food, but were so out of shape, they couldn't run more than a lap or two around the track without stopping. I'm sure we can all picture similar scenarios in our minds.

Anyone can add a physical fitness component to their lifestyle. They don't necessarily need to get in shape to run a marathon, but everyone can do some sort of physical activity on a regular basis.

Most people have a lot of misconceptions when it comes to getting in shape. First of all, if they don't drop a ton of weight or feel like teenager within a couple of weeks, they give up and think they can't do it. The body takes at least 3-4 weeks of regular activity to 90% acclimate to that activity. That means it takes the body almost a month to simply adapt to being able to work out regularly. Yes, it will be tough those first few weeks before you really feel (or see) tangible results.

Another misconception (although different) is that people feel in order to get in shape, they have to spend 2-3 hours a day getting in shape. We all know that most adults don't have that kind of time or desire to work out that much. They see these drastic results on "The Biggest Loser" and say to themselves "they could do it because they were on the show". That is correct. They gear their entire lives around getting in better shape, have the best equipment, personal trainers, and are monitored daily by doctors. However, fitness does not have to be an all or nothing concept.

I have a friend that was about 70-80# overweight. She wanted to lose weight for her health and so she could play with her kids. After she got a physical from her doctor, we sat down and discussed her goals. She wanted to lose 70# by her class reunion that summer (four months away). When I asked what she was willing to commit, she said she could do about 45-60 minutes per day. Very reasonable, considering she had two young kids and worked part time. I told her to focus on losing 1-2# each week, nothing more. Consistency would be way more important. The first day, I had her walk ten minutes in her neighborhood. Then, I showed her how to stretch properly for 15 minutes and did a few minutes of simple strength exercises. When she asked about doing more that day, I just told her to trust me. Of course, she was sore the next day. Over a period of a couple of months, she built up to walking 20-40 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week and also stretched daily and did strength exercises 2-3 days each week for fifteen minutes. In all, she spent 30-60 minutes a day working out. By her class reunion, she had lost 18 pounds and was feeling better than she had in years. The last time I heard from her on this, she was almost a year into her program and had lost about 45 pounds. The important thing for her was that she was consistent and found a program that she could fit in her lifestyle long term.

I believe you should only try to lose 1-2 pounds per week. Your body simply cannot adjust itself physiologically any faster. If you lose weight faster, your body goes into "survival mode" to slow down your metabolism and retain the body mass. You hear about those people that lose "30 pounds in five weeks". Those people usually end up gaining the weight back because they cannot sustain what they are doing and their body goes into survival mode.

In regards to the beginning of this thread, there are some things we can do to encourage adults to live healthy lifestyles. First of all, start with yourself. Are you actively living a healthy lifestyle? Promote it without being pushy and you may find a few disciples. Every spring, when your Scouts do the physical fitness testing for Tenderfoot, make it a troop wide event with contests between patrols. My troop has troop records we keep for all of those fitness tests as well as the ones for Personal Fitness. Keep records for the youth (at each age level) as well as for adults (just make sure your records include under 40, 40-50, 50-60, and 60+). My troop is holding a sports campout this spring and will include the fitness testing for Tenderfoot and Personal Fitness Merit Badge. I will be strongly encouraging the adults in the troop to participate in this part of the campout.

Something my troop does on pretty much every campout is include a hike of at least an hour. Also, while the Scouts are cooking dinner, I'll try and grab some adults to go on an adult only hike. That gets them out of the Scouts way for a while and we usually end up hiking for about an hour, getting in 2-3 miles.

For troop meetings, have hikes on a regular basis. We've done a night hike in the winter for a troop meeting that was a lot of fun. Also plan activities for your troop that are active and encourage the adults to participate.

As for food, volunteer to put together the menu for the adults (if you cook separately) and do the shopping. Show them that you can have a great meal that is actually healthy for you. Don't feel that you have to have dessert with every meal. Also, if you'd like to eliminate cracker barrel, then schedule your meals a little further apart. Instead of the standard 8am, 12pm, and 5pm meals, we tend to eat more at 8am, 1pm, and 7pm. By the time they are done with dinner, it is 8pm or so and they aren't hungry before they go to bed at 11pm.

This post has gotten to be the length of a Russian novel, so I better sign off. However, before I do, I wanted to extend an offer to anyone who has questions on developing a fitness program to contact me through this site. I'll be more than happy to offer an guidance I can.