I seem to have missed something....

Is BSA now assigning ID numbers to members, both adult and youth? I can see why BSA would do so, and perhaps BSA always did. The reason this came up is that my OA lodge dues statement now asks for "BSA ID". I looked at my membership card and there is a number there that I don't recall seeing before. Maybe I am just getting old.

Mine are like FScouter's - they've had the same number for years. Not sure how far back, though, because I never paid much attention to them until I was confronted with my first Eagle Scout application where it wanted the youth's BSA ID number on the top of the form.

This is nothing new.

That's funny, I never was even issued a card. When I asked about it, nobody had even heard of getting a card.

The reason I aksed is becuase the online training asks for and ID# but nobody in my pack has ever been issued a card.

How long does it take after you send in your form? it's only been 2 years, maybe it takes longer than that.

The specific ID number began a few years ago (perhas as much as 5 years). It used to be that when you registered in on a differnet charter you got a diffent. Now you have been assigned a specific national ID that will follow you throughout your scoutig from youth membership through adult service regardless of where you register.

"Now you have been assigned a specific national ID that will follow you throughout your scoutig from youth membership through adult service regardless of where you register."

I don't think that's exactly right, close but not exactly.

If you do like I did and register in TWO councils, you'll wind up with two ID numbers. I had simply transfered councils, I would have kept the same number. I called and asked if I could use the same number in both places and was told no. You used to be able to do that but the "improved" system won't allow it.

The ID came along with ScoutNet. Unit leaders should be able to get a roster from council with all the IDs. The registered unit leader gets membership cards with the charter. My guess is that someone has a bunch of envelopes stuffed away.

You also need your ID to create a MyScouting account so you can take the online classes.

Ed

FWIW, if you have access to Internet Advancement, you can get a troop/pack roster that lists all adults and Scouts, and includes the BSA ID. I've had to look them up a couple of times for adults wanting to do online training and needing that #.

The rosters that we received with our recharter did not include these ID numbers. The only document that I have ever seen them on is the ID card. We had to call the service center to get an ID number for a boy who needed it for his Eagle application, and who could not find the ID card. So you might want to suggest that the boys write the number down in a safe place at home, especially if they are planning to carry the card around with them.

My understanding is that everyone is assigned a number although in some cases you may have more than one.

For example if you have a unit position and a council position (such as commissioner) you may have multiple numbers.

If you don't know what your number is, best way is to contact your local council.

I for one though do not know my number as I have not received a card in a few years and cannot find any old ones.

I did receive FOS requests sent to me that had a number but when I tried using that on a BSA site, they could not find a record of that number???