What to do with a 16 year old Eagle Scout who wants to stay active in the troop?

Hi All,

I'm new to the Forum and this is my first time to post. My son is 16 and an Eagle Scout. I am a member of the Troop Committee. What is the proper place for an Eagle Scout who would like to stay active in his Troop as best he can with high school sports and a heavy academic load? He was appointed by the old Scoutmaster as a JASM, but that is causing some members of the Troop Committee heartburn. (The old Scoutmaster left abruptly. We have a new Scoutmaster who is still getting up on the learning curve.) Should there be an Eagle Patrol? Does he stay in his old patrol? Most of our Eagle Scouts stop attending, and a lot don't make Eagle until shortly before their 18th birthday. My son has applied to staff NYLT in our Council and would like to staff NAYLE at Philmont in 2009. He has attended both. I'd be interested in hearing what has worked for others. Thanks.

Put him in charge of something. Use him as a Troop Guide or JASM. I didn't make Eagle, but I served as a JASM for almost two years. Basically from the time my SPL term expired. I became SPL right around my 16th birthday and then after the SPL, I moved to JASM.

If done right, the JASM can almost play an adult role in a youth setting. What I mean by that is the JASM can do certain things that the ASM or SM cannot do.

All of the alternatives you offer would be fine if the SM and SPL are behind them. Why would being a JASM cause the committee heartburn? He certainly meets the age ad rank qualifications and he was approved by the Scoutmaster at the time he took office. So why is the committee involved?

Your son sounds like he would be a good person for the unit to hang on to, so I would think they would be able to find a way to keep him as active as his time committment allows.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I agree with Bob White, we have a Scout, though he is not Eagle yet...he is loosing interest. He is just about seventeen next month and appointing him as a JASM was what that position is all about. He has done the SPL more than just a couple of terms, he has been ASPL, he has been Troop Guide. The JASM helps keep the boys going, keeps him going...just seems like a win, win deal.

Eagle Foot

My son is in the same position.He became a Eagle scout at age 14. He has been elected the SPL for two terms(Sept.to end of summer camp in Aug.)Going into his sernior year high school in Sept.he has talked to the SM about a JASM position.He is highly motivted who attended NYLT in the summer before his 1st term as SPL. It worked out well because most of our scouts are playing beat the clock trying to achieve before the 18th birthday comnes around. He still attends summer camp and enjoys earning MB's. The 3rd silver palm(66 MB's) is his goal and is within reach. He will earn Triple bronze later this month.Encourage your son to stay involved.It is all a learning tool for his future

My 2-cents worth.

I would approach this situation in a similar way as the Woodbadge ticket. Have the boy set some goals for himself, let him decide what role he wants to play, get it on paper and give him a chance to do what he wants to do. He's earned the opportunity to set his own agenda and how he wants to play it out with the troop. Who knows? Maybe his #1 goal will be to a DC for some young Webelos or Wolf/Bear boys. Don't let the program dictate to him, let him design his scouting career in terms of what he would like to do instead of what he's had to do in the past to "fulfill" the requirements.

Stosh

In an era where troops search for a way to keep older youth, (I love that expression) why would anyone want to chase away someone who can be a real good role model? Give the JASM something to do, or better yet, have him tell you what he wants to do as JBlake says. You want more people to follow his example

>>He was appointed by the old Scoutmaster as a JASM, but that is causing some members of the Troop Committee heartburn. (The old Scoutmaster left abruptly. We have a new Scoutmaster who is still getting up on the learning curve.)

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your responses. And, Eagledad, I think you are right about those 'stepped on toes'. I like the idea that several of you mentioned of having him come up with his own ideas of how to serve the troop, getting them down on paper, and then asking the SM for a meeting. You all are right that he is kind of the first in this position in our troop and it is a learning curve for him and the troop as to how to use him. Thanks again for your thoughtful responses.

Frances from Texas

Proud Mom of Eagle Scout Paul

There are other things besides Eagle that he can involve himself with doing. Some can use his academic load from school depending on his iterests.

Has he earned his Religious Emblem Awards for your faith?

Is he interested in conservationn? If he has the right mix of merit badges, he may be close to achieving the Hornaday Awards if he completes the related projects. He can involve the Troop and have them earn Hornaday Certificate while he earns the badge or one of the

medals. He could incorperate the 50 Miler or Historical Trail Award into one of the projects for him and the Troop to earn. he can use his coursework at school to help with the Hornaday and the Historical Trail Awards and possibly receive recognition on his academic record as well. The Hornaday projects could be set up around high adventure trips that he could/would have to plan.

How about him spearheading a new Venture Crew associated with the Troop? That opens up a whole new list of things to become invovled with and to earn, for him and the Troop.

Good luck,

Eric

You've got an in-house leader, a quality control check, a way to find out what the boys are thinking, an insider. A Certified if not proven Leader - why would you let him get away especially if he's asking for something to do?!!!

Start a Varsity patrol, Let him teach 1st years, Let your Committee know this is part and parcel of the program. 16 year olds who stay active have the potential to notch your quality up, if you give them the responsibility they ask for! I'd love it if the 16 year old Eagles I inherited showed up for more than just the HA and/or OA outings and participated in the rest of the program!

I hope the boys I shepherd thorough the program do better, and become like this one of yours. I will also be looking for answers to your questions esp., those regarding what others have done to keep them involved.

I've got a novel idea - ask him what he wants to do! You've said he wants to stay active. That's great.

My son, and Eagle Scout has served as SPL, ASPL, OA rep, PL, TG, NYLT TG, NYLT SPL, Philmont Trek lead and many other positions. Right now, at 17, he just wants to chill, go to troop meetings, go on outings, etc. He "leads" by setting a good example. He does not want to be JASM, SPL, etc. Not saying that is right for all but it is right for him (maybe he doesn't want to interact with the SM/dad so much anymore?).

Well, speaking as someone who earned Eagle the day after I turned sixteen, I can offer some advice on this one.

I was SPL for another year after, before I was moved into the JASM position. As a JASM, I worked with one of our ASMs to create the new Venturing patrol. Something similar might work in your situation.

My other suggestions would be, as others mentioned, Troop Guide and OA Rep. Chaplain's Aide would also be a great addition to your troop program, if you don't have one and if he might consider a vocation in religious life. This is a great time for him to get involved with OA, too.

One other idea I threw around a little bit would be to use his JASM position for assist recruiting new boys that are not from Cub Scouts. At 16, he's not too old to relate to an 11- or 12-year-old boy, but he is old enough to be a role model.

In any case, he is a resource, a role model, and he wants to stay involved, so hang on to him and you'll find that he will benefit your troop a lot/