There once was a boy who was a vegetarian and a girl who was vegan. They were drawn to the fellowship of the famous feast, but were turned away.

"You must eat the beast to join our feast."

"But sir, we must be true to our beliefs and ourselves, can we not contribute our food and join in your feast? We have more in common than you know and much to give."

"You must eat the beast to join our feast. That is the our way, the all-knowing way, now be on your way."

The boy and girl wandered away from the table of good people and became lost and confused.

The years passed and the feast filled fewer chairs at the table. So off the good people went to invite their new neighbors.

"Won't you join our feast?"

The vegan and vegetarian stood smiling with their son and daughter, "Must we still eat the beast?"

"Of course, all must eat the beast to join our feast."

"No thank you, but you are welcome at our feast whether you eat veggies or not."

"At a feast, everyone must eat the beast."

"Not at our feast, everyone may join who seeks fellowship, no matter what they eat or even if they eat at all. Won't you visit our table at least."

"Outrageous, that is no feast, everyone must eat the beast!"

And the good people walked away and the new neighbors closed their door.

Both groups had much to give, but neither sat at the other's table. One group grew, the other whithered.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are posters who have perpetrated a hoax on many members of this forum

A preacher spreads the word of God he does not claim to be God....Not everyone likes that message, largely because they have either been mislead by others

These are weak and sad distortions of the truth, and I am hopeful that at some point these poster will tire of misrepresentations

Many of the things I supposedly said were fabricated by the poster to misrepresent me

(This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Well, GW, it's even more humorous in that what got zapped was the "Birds in the wilderness" song, waitin' for the Moderator Patrol.

I think da anonymous staff member at least had a sense of humor, eh? Or perhaps a sense of irony? :)

B(This message has been edited by Beavah)

So the people of the valley

sent a message up the hill

asking for the buried treasure

tons of gold for which they'd kill.

Came an answer from the kingdom

with our brothers we will share

all the secrets of our mountain

all the riches buried there.

Now the valley cried with anger,

"Mount your horses! Draw your sword!"

And they killed the mountain-people,

So they won their just reward.

Now they stood beside the treasure,

On the mountain, dark and red.

Turned the stone and looked beneath it...

"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

And a shiny new dime to the first person who can tell us which movie used this song as its theme?

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed

A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,

Then one day he was shootin at some food,

And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,

Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"

Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.

And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.

You're all invited back a gain to this locality

To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?.

Classic Beef Pot Roast

Cuts of beef that perform well for pot roasting go by many different names: Blade roast, cross-rib roast (or shoulder clod), seven-bone pot roast, arm pot roast, and boneless chuck roast are all acceptable cuts for this traditional recipe.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cups coarsely chopped onion

1 cup dry red wine

4 thyme sprigs

3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth

1 bay leaf

4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces

2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces

Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; saut 8 minutes or until tender.

Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.

Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

Yield:

10 servings (serving size: 3 ounces roast, about 3/4 cup vegetables, and about 3 tablespoons cooking liquid)

Nutritional Information:

CALORIES 307(31% from fat); FAT 10.4g (sat 3.5g,mono 4.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 28.6g; CHOLESTEROL 85mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 340mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.7g

Jeanne Thiel Kelley, Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2006

Looks like we have a winner here

Bob White, PM me and I will give you my address, when if you will send me a self addressed stamped envelope, I will send you your dime

I had a group of Venturing youth watch Billy Jack one time. None had ever heard it, but had loved one tin soldier. When the kids at the school started "Rainbow Made of Children", the Girl Scout Camp Counselor cried, "wait thats my favorite camp song, we sing it all the time". So, she said I ruined two songs, One tine Soldier and Rainbow, a twofer