Scout Sunday (Feb 3) / Scout Sabbath (Feb 9)

Our church, though not a chartered partner, has invited Cub, Boy, and Girl Scouts to attend in uniform. They'll help ushers during the worship services.

We also have a couple kids who will get various God and Country awards. They'll get to be at the altar with Pastor.

Two of our parish Eagle Scouts won't be there, though. They are the University of Kansas Prairie Winds Honor Band weekend, and their concert is Sunday 1PM :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

As a Scout I would attend church in full uniform and often the priest would call all the Scouts in uniform up front in middle of the mass... of course this was on a air force base so and was many years ago ... I also know of cases where the church would purposley have only alter boy Scouts (in uniform) do mass that day, etc ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

Our troop has probably attended 15 or so masses in the last five years.

Always SM and ASMs and unit in full uniform- stinking of camp fire, and sitting prominently in the front rows. A number of times, the scouts have been invited to bring up the gifts.

It is a great way of generating both FOS and observing the Scout Law.

It has been a very rewarding part of the scouting experience.

It helps the scouts to be proud of their uniform because the congregation always shows their appreciation.

Pappy

My church is a CO of a troop I am not affiliated with. I will still show up in uniform and I'm sponsoring the coffee and donuts on behalf of Scouting. I have no idea what the local troop is planning on doing, but they do show in uniform and do the ushering as I can tell from previous Scout Sundays.

Stosh

In our area most units (including ours) are observing Scout Sunday on Sunday, Feb 10th....because whoever set the date for the Klondike Derby decided it would go well on the first weekend in February, so most boys wouldn't be back in time (or in clean condition) for Church.

However, next Sunday they will be looking sharp in their uniforms, doing readings, offering, ushers, etc. Then they will help serve luncheon after services.

YiS

Michelle

My church is not a CO but the troops does meet there for meetings.

My son, one Cub Scout, and I where the greeters and side ushers for the 8 am service in uniform.

At the 10:30 service 6 Cub Scouts where the greeters.

Our Church chartered partner decided there was already two much going on already that day, so has "postponed" Scout Sunday til March. We will celebrate then with scouts doing the greeting, ushering, hopefully as readers, and maybe will find a scout to acolyte.

Our CO invites us to serve as ushers and to do a display during the coffee/donut time between services.

It is good for our retention of the CO for the "current" pastor (an ongoing issue with the CO) to see the numbers of Scouts who attend his church but no longer wear the uniform.

The 70 + crowd don't seem to enjoy sleeping on the ground for some reason.

We also get some youth recruitment out of it.

We are celebrating Scout Sunday this Sunday (Feb 10).

The church will be decorated with banners made by the boys working on their Parvuli Dei Award. All of the altar servers, lectors, etc, will be Scouts or Scouters. All Cubs Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Scout leaders are in full uniform. We all process in carrying the American, CS Pack & BS Troop flags, and sit together in the front (where the pastor can watch the Tigers squirming) with the Troop on one side and the Pack on the other.

We have about 30 boys earning religious emblems. During the mass each group of medals will be brought up to be blessed. The leader will describe the award and some of what the boys did to earn it. The boys will be called up and presented with their medal.

After mass we hold a continental breakfast in our school/parish hall for the Scouts and their families.