How much should Faith inform Scouting?

Calico,

For the unit I serve, which I've said is one of those "non-sectarian, generally secular" units you describe. But, I honestly don't believe that we are typical and it seems most of the units around us introduce more elements of faith than we do. I also believe that if the BSA were to become fully secular, with no elements of faith associate with it, even the youth in our unit would miss out on something.

As a "non-sectarian, generally secular" unit we have several youth from families that are not regular church goers. (My son included.) Some of the few times these boys are confronted with the idea of thinking about faith and their place in the world is responding to the question, "So how do you do your duty to God?" or "How are you Reverent?" during a BOR, and I think that has value towards contributing to the growth of the scout.

SA

Hopefully I didn't anger Lisa by responding in this thread. But I think the twist is a natural progression of the initial question posed by the thread.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're pretty much a secular unit as well, mostly because the boys are from all over the faith map. Local option is working well for us.

"Maybe we should have a merit badge in racketeering." Shhhhhhh, someone may read your suggestion. ;) We're already counting phantom scouts and units, are you trying to make it even worse?