Thanks to everyone that has expressed their condolences to the Dominic's family. I passed the link to this thread to one of our troops ASM's who is a personal friend of his family.

Some had asked if the family had a fund to donate to in his memory. The following, including information on a book fund in his honor, was published in the local paper.

Dominic Christopher Zahlis, of Columbia, died Jan. 27, 2008, due to leukemia and a stroke, at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 10. Born Aug. 11, 1997, in Anaheim, Calif., to Christopher and Andrea Zahlis, he attended Bollman Bridge Elementary School in Jessup.

His parents described Dominic as "a gifted boy, with a huge heart and great mind. In his brief time with us, he was a caring and thoughtful friend who enjoyed life fully. His amazing imagination and sincerity brought joy to all that knew him. He was a boy with big plans, and our world mourns the loss of someone with the ability and selfless nature to make a difference."

In addition to his parents, he is survived by two sisters, Corinne Zahlis and Audrey Zahlis, both of Columbia; a network of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins in California and Maryland; and friends in his Huntington neighborhood.

Funeral services are scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 31, 2008, 11 a.m., at Laurel Presbyterian Church, 7610 Sandy Spring Road, Laurel, MD 20707.

Interment will occur at a later date.

Due to his love of reading, donations to buy books for his schools are being accepted. E-mail Caren Mitchell at RememberDominic@comcast.net.

• 3 weeks later...

This is Chris Zahlis, Dominic's dad. The entire scouting organizaiton can feel proud of the leadership and character exhibited by the local scouts. They mobilized quickly to support the staff at Dom's school, pay respects at Dom's viewing and funeral, and honor our family at the Blue and Gold ceremony. I can't sufficiently express how sad I am to lose my boy. I was as excited as Dom to bridge over to scouts, and the actions by regional and local scouts illustrate the strength of the worldwide organization. Thanks to all of you that supported us during this infinitely sad time.

We started a virtual memorial for any interested in learning more about my boy: http://www.virtual-memorials.com/main.php?action=view&mem_id=12295&page_no=1

Again...thanks.

Dear Chris, Andrea, Corinne, and Audrey,

On behalf of our troop and all scouts in the great state of Ohio, please accept our heartfelt condolences, and thank you for sharing Dominic with us. If there is anything we can ever do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. Scout salute.