Starting a new Troop. What are some of the challenges you faced?.

Its way too early to be picking positions. I started a troop in October of 2007. Since you have a willing CO that issue is negated. Next step, how much money will they front you for patrol boxes, a troop flag and (sigh!) a trailer. You can limp along with out these for a while but the first few months will have fundraisers in them.

I agree with focusing on summer camp and a program calendar. With out six months of planned outings the sweet 16 will not all come. Without a summer camp spot reserved they will not all come either.

Sit down with the webelos leadership and pick out 2-3 campsites that you could do overnight camping in. Look at the council calendar and see if they have mini camps where your boys can earn rank. Show this to the boys and have them help you refine the calendar. Mix the campsites and the council activities and have six months worth of reserved outings planned for and on a document that you can show anyone who asks.

In conjunction with the forward planning, pick up all three volumes of the Program Features sold at all boy scout stores. These tell you how to run meetings and build towards a specific outing.

Good luck

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

Nine months into our "once a Webelos den" new Boy Scout troop, everything seems to be going well. With a core of six boys, we will be adding seven more at crossover next week. With the exception of two boys going to troops with their older brothers, all boys crossing over from our old pack are coming to us. But we worked hard to make that happen.

We started acting like a patrol before our boys crossed over, getting prepared for Boy Scouts. We made good impressions on younger boys and their parents. As Webelos, our boys did service projects, they hosted Pack campfires. In other words, they showed they had the right stuff. Younger boys wanted to be like them, and their parents agreed!

When we became a troop, we attended District events. The boys don't have all the skills yet, but they manage to do OK. Me make big news of their achievements. While the boys were still working on Tenderfoot, two of them became Den Chiefs for our old pack. Perfect? No. But they were the first ones the Pack had in years. And they keep the relationship tight. Once again, the Cubs look up to them.

We have invited Webelos dens from other Packs to our functions. We did dot get any of them to cross over to our Troop this year, but we will keep forging those relationships. Our goal is to grow by a patrol and replace any dropouts for the next five years.

Growing the new troop is all about building relationships!

Encouraging words today about the formation of a new Troop. Committee forming to begin the layout the structure and fill positions.

The initial time frame is sketchy, church is building a new family center to be completed in spring of 09. Our Webelos, due to cross over Feb 09. Seems like a perfect fit.

When should I tell Council of the plans? I know that may sound crazy so I'll explain my thought process.

1. Find a potential CO who wants to host a Boy Scout Troop.

2. Make sure canididate CO fills Troop needs and is genuinely excited about it.

3. Found our CO (co currently constructing Family center,completion is spring 09)

4. Secured "go ahead" to start forming Leadership Committee

5. Webelos are scheduled to cross over Feb 09 (seems like perfect timing, huh?)

6. If for some unforseen reason, the leadership team does not materialize, we have the option of going to an established Troop.

7. After the leadership team has been chosen, Council will be notified.

The whole reason for not letting Council in on the process earlier, is the possible pressure to form a Troop before its ready. I don't know for sure if they would try to push the process but I don't know if they wouldn't.

Thats the latest. I'll let you know how it goes.

JR