Starting a new Troop. What are some of the challenges you faced?.

Our group of parents are currently investigating the possibilities of starting a new Troop.

Other than the obvious, starting out from scratch, what is the most challenging part?

Just wanted some input from the "been there and done that" members.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

About 3 years back we started a Sea Scout Ship.

Looking at "BuffaloSR793", I'm guessing that you took WB?

Taking time to look over your notes on Team Development might be very worth while. Right now I'll bet that everyone is very enthused and expectations are high?

Be ready for what is sure to come next!!

Set realistic goals:

Frustration about what the unit isn't ready for can kill the unit. You are not the Troop next door that has been around for a very long time and expecting to do everything that they do just isn't going to happen. On the other hand you can see what they are doing (Right or wrong) And learn from it. Remember when you see the Troop with 40 Scouts attend something with 20 Scouts that they have a 50% turn out. If you have 4 Scouts out of 6 show up! You are ahead of them!!

Find ways of making the basic skills fun:

Remember you are only ever as good as your last meeting!

Listen to what the Scouts have to say. "Feed back is a gift" What you do with it is in your hands!

Don't just focus on the Program Side:

A new unit needs to make sure that the Committee is up and running, even if it is small. When you get to the "Storming" stage having a working committee will pay off.

Don't get bogged down with lots of rules and by-laws.

Just about everything you need is covered by the BSA and everything the Scouts need is covered by the Oath and Law.

Never ever be afraid to ask for help.

Everyone wants to see you do well.

There are a lot of people who are charged with helping and supporting you and most Scouter's enjoy reaching out to help a new unit. They may not come knocking on your door, but will not turn you away if you knock at their door.

Trying to do things as close to the way the BSA recommends they should be done, might seem like hard work, but in the long run does seem to work. This does mean reading and finding out what is being recommended!

Put a system in place that helps to resolve disputes as quickly as possible, don't allow them to fester and grow.

Establish open and clear lines of communication, within the unit, the District and with the CO.

Some new Troops do seem to do well from the get go, while others go through a lot. Some of the people you have working now will sadly fall away.

If you and the group can sit down and come up with a list of short term and long term goals on paper (Much like your WB ticket) and every now and then stop and do a 360 degree assessment of how things are going -Being honest, looking at the good and not so good.

My big challenge with the Ship was finding funding. Sea Scouts being that little bit older and having so many school fund raising events made life hard. They and their parents were happy to pay for the activities, but finding cash for equipment and that sort of thing was hard.

My other big challenge was getting them to understand that it was their Ship and we did what they wanted to do. In part the problem was we had so many Boy Scouts who had never been asked and had been spoon fed a program that the adults had come up with.

Good Luck.

Eamonn.

Pay close and deliberate attention to forming a SOLID troop committee. Having someone focused on recruitment is essential. Rounding up interested people to start up is only the beginning. If you can not supply these original boys with new younger scouts each year for them to train and mentor the patrol method and "boy-led" begins to fall apart very quickly. Leadership requires some one to be led.

LongHaul

The Obvious and not so obvious

Finding the right charter.

Getting records from the old troop.

Opening a bank account.

Fundraising for patrol boxes, flags, and seed money for campsite reservations.

BuffaloSR793: I have not been involved in starting a new Troop, but have in the reviving of a failing one.

Are you interested in starting a new Troop because you are dissatisfied with the Troop you involved with now? The reason I ask is that (at least from my observations in this District) starting out a Troop with a handful of Scouts and parents that leave another Troop because of problems rarely results in a vibrant long-lasting Troop. The Troop I currently serve was formed by a few parents that were disgruntled by their current Troop's leadership. So, they took their boys and started a new Troop. Yep, they had a great program and did what they wanted to do to benefit their Scouts. Problem was that they did very little recruiting and eventually their sons Eagled and quit or just plain quit and then the parents were no longer interested in Scouting. That, sadly, left a few new Scouts and their families holding the bag. Yes indeed, that's how I became the Scoutmaster!

If you are indeed planning to start a new Troop, please go in with the idea that you'll be there for all the Scouts and for several years. Get training. Get other adults leaders on board and trained. Get your Scouts together and have them come up with a list of activities they want to do. Then go do them. One thing I found that helped us recruit a few Scouts and keep those we had during those struggling years was that we did something EVERY month. Even if only 2 or 3 Scouts signed up, we went. Now we've had three years of successful events and are starting to get noticed by others in the District. Numbers will grow as a result. As Eamonn posts, don't be discouraged if your Troop is small for a while. Ours is small, be we always have the highest percentage of attendance at any District function - we hit 100% or come darn close!

Yes Buffalo, GWD is on the right track-she's read my mind! Are you forming a troop because none exists now or are you unhappy with the current situation in the troop you serve now? The council will be more than happy to charter a new unit (numbers game), but spin-off troops rarely survive! GWD also states the common problems of spin-offs: age outs, Eagle outs, recruiting, and etcetera. If you're disgruntled in your current situation, work to make improvements. And by all means, please let us know more info!

Yah, I'll echo local1400 and gwd as well. I've been involved in quite a number of new unit startups (or in some cases, re-starts) in various roles. To my mind it takes at least one person with real kid talent and scoutin' experience, and a group of people who are committed to bringing the program to a location or an area. Good people who are mission-focused, not "my kid" focused.

It also takes havin' a location or area or group of kids who are a "target market" that you intend to try to serve, and that will be around for many years. Cannibalism, just takin' market from other units rather than reachin' new kids, usually makes little sense.

Disgruntled spin-offs are usually failures. It takes a sense of joy and deep commitment to make a new unit go, and yeh just don't get that from anger and rejection of what the last troop did. :p

Most challenging part? I dunno. I reckon all parts are challenging enough! But honestly, with a few good, experienced people and a good market, they're all manageable. Partnership with an existing troop for the first year or two really helps. A supportive CO and some donated "seed money" really helps. Puttin' together a first six months program and lookin' on-the-ball and organized really helps. Gettin' the parents to buy in early and get to quality training really helps. That sort of thing, eh?

Beavah

Jeff

This group of parents, are they going to be the chater organization? Are they supplying scouts? How Many? Are they willing to serve in a leadership position if approved by the Charter organization? What positions? What challenges yo face will depend on what you have to start with.

I apologize for missing information and being vague. I didn't realize it until I re-read my post.

I'm a Webelos Den Leader, past Assistant Cubmaster, Treasurer, Advancement Chair and just finished my ticket for Woodbadge.

My den includes 16 Webelos. Of that 16, 9 of the boys have been together since Tigers. Of the parents in the den, there are 4 past Assistant Cubmasters, 1 past Cubmaster (currently assistant cubmaster) and my wife which is a past Bear and Tiger den leader. The remaining parents contribute to activities and have various contacts for conducting fundraising events.

Here is the deal.

We live in town that has 11 Cub Scout packs and 4 Troops.

The LDS Troop is mainly for LDS kids.

One Troop in town has a great Scoutmaster. About 14 Scouts strong. Don't know too much from this Troop other than bumping into the Scoutmaster at an event here and there. We'll make a visit here.

The largest Troop in town is about 32 Scouts. They have fabulous leadership, well organized, well run. Pretty much boy led and active. I've spoken to some of the leaders about bringing in 16 boys, and the re-action has been one of hesitation/reluctance. I'm not saying they don't want us, but they are certainly not recruiting us. We will make our visits to them.

Our C/O Troop has about 6 boys. The Scoutmaster restarted the Troop a few years back and I certainly respect him for that. They are pretty much not boy led, have a general lack of enthusiasm from the Scoutmaster down to the Scouts. The C/O is a small country organization and is not involved at all. (The members of the c/o organization had boys and started the Troop as their boys grew older and aged out of Scouting, there were no replacements to keep the Troop going. So it disbanded.) The present Scoutmaster brought it back 6 or 7 years ago, if we go here there will be immediate issues about who will lead the Troop. After the "dust settles" we still have to realize we are chartered to an organization who views us as a hinderance more than an asset.

Back to present:

We have Church in town who really wants a Troop. The pastor and leadership, will provide assistance, a meeting place and support. The currently have a Pack there.

We could go to the larger Troop and most likely all will be well.

I realize it is a big task,a commitment for several years, but the thought of building something is a very exciting prospect. While we are taking our visits to the other Troops, we are also assembling a leadership team.

You know whats most intresting about all of this? If just one of those Troops would show intrest by sending a leader and a couple of Scouts to one of our den meetings, it would most likely "seal the deal". It's a shame, if only the Troops could realize how much the Cub Scouts look up to the older boys of Scouting. I can say the same about Troop Leaders and Cub Scout leaders.

The Webelos parents agree, we have a great opportunity to start something special and have vowed to remember how much the Blue tabbers look up to the Red tabbers. The outcome should result in an overall stronger Scouting presence in our town.

I hope this paints a more clearer picture.

YIS

Jeff

Buffalo,

Your situation sounds a little similar to mine. I was CM for a Pack with around 130 boys, chartered by our elementary school PTA (no troop). Of 11 boys in my son's den, 2 joined one troop and the other 9, including my son, joined another. We soon found the troop was much different than we thought, and was not providing the Scouting experience we wanted for our sons. The Baptist church wanted a troop, and 6 of the boys left to start a troop there. CO has been fantastic, better than I hoped. We have the same troop number as the pack (where I'm now the COR). The next group of Webelos II's are going to cross over in March, and we will get 6 - 10 of them.

Most challenging part was really just taking that first real step. Get real committments from the parents that are going to help you. Pencil out your adult leadership - SM, ASMs, CC, ADV, Membership. Does it look workable? If so, move forward.

As mentioned earlier, get trained - asap! The program is much different than Cubs, and you need to get up to speed quickly. If a training session isn't offered very soon, go purchase a copy of the SM Handbook and start reading and taking notes. While at the Scout Shop, pick up a set of the Troop Program Features, volumes I - III and a copy of the Troop/Team Record Book. Get all leaders to complete the on-line training asap.

Plan that first campout. Select the date and location and get it planned. The rest of your team will follow along. They will be eager to see a plan develop, to see that someone is really in charge, and is going to make this troop really happen.

Plan to have a campout every month. If your pack was used to camping twice a year, this can be a challenge at first. Get some ideas from the boys about what they want to do, and get 3 months planned. Don't worry about planning the whole year at this point, worry about the first quarter. Put together a calendar showing troop meetings and campouts.

If you are starting now, you need to move quickly on Summer Camp. Our main camp is almost full. Merit Badge and activity registration starts the first of April. Talk to your DE and see if they can hold a spot for you. Missing Summer Camp your first year would be a big mistake, IMHO.

Yes, it takes a lot of work. Work is the easy part. It also takes a vision. Do you have a vision of what you want this troop to look like in 6 months, 1 year, 2 years? If you don't have that vision, I would suggest joining one of the other troops.

Good luck with either of your decisions.

Brent Allen

Jeff,

Expect the unexpected, and take the road less traveled.

For the most part one starts with great expectations, great goals, great vision and hope for this super scout troop. This is good thing.

But along the way, once one mixes boys in, everything changes. :^)

Stick with a few basic ideals concerning the BSA standards such as character, education, self-confidence and leadership. Training is important for all the members of the troop both adult and boy. Don't rush anything, give things time to develop, never panic (easier said than done), and take the time to truly like the boys.

I moved from an established troop to a troop going defunct and it really doesn't take very long to instill a sense of mission in the boys. The boys that I thought were going to be good have not stepped up to the plate and the biggest troublemaker has become my most reliable and steady scout. I have an exciting future, the past doesn't do anything except offer lessons on what not to do, and have fun.

Like I said expect the unexpected. Always allow for the possibility for boys to lead you to and even better place than you first imagined... and take the road less traveled, follow them they know what they need. Boy led also means that not just the troop is led, but the adults too. :^)

Stosh

For my sins I have served in a lot of positions both on the District and Council level.

Right now I'm involved with membership.

You and the Pack need to be congratulated on keeping the Webelos Scouts active and in the program. Well Done.

When it comes to membership? It really isn't rocket science, there really are only two parts to it: Recruitment and Retention. Having kept 16 Lad's in the program you and the Pack have shown that you can hold the interest of these boys.

What happens next?

As we know one of the reasons for having Cub Scouting is to prepare the boys for Boy Scouting.

The final choice of where these Lad's go? Is up to them and their parents.

The role of the Pack, should be to help them make a informed choice. If the local Troops are not beating a path to your door, you need to contact the local Troops and see what can be done to arrange for the Webelos Scouts to visit and see what each Troop does.

Sometimes I think active Scouter's might be guilty of knowing a little bit too much! Troop A might not seem very "Boy Led", Troop B might not seem to do enough outdoor activities and the list could go on. But even with the things that a Troop might do or not do, there might be reasons why a young Lad and his parents might want to join that Troop.

Parents might want to look at when the Troop meets. Is that a good time for them? Where is the meeting held? Is that close to home? The Boy's might have friends in one Troop and might want to be with their friends.

Most membership Chairs and DE's will want you to start a new unit. In part because it helps make them look good!!

From what you have posted "We live in town that has 11 Cub Scout packs and 4 Troops." It would seem that there is room for another Troop.However before I'd rush out and fill the New Unit Application, I think I'd meet with the adults who serve the Troop that shares the same CO as the Pack.

I'm not sure what "The present Scoutmaster brought it back 6 or 7 years ago, if we go here there will be immediate issues about who will lead the Troop. After the "dust settles" we still have to realize we are chartered to an organization who views us as a hindrance more than an asset."?

Seems to me that the Pack has done well with this CO?

If all the Webelos Scouts and some of the adults were to join this Troop? Of course things would change. Hopefully for the better.

How long will this Troop be around if they don't recruit new members?

Doing what is best for the Scouts is far more important than "Leadership Issues".

At times it's very hard for Cub Scouters to stop looking at the youth they have served in the Pack as being "My Boy's".

There comes a time when it is time to let go and the right thing to do is give the the boy's "Roots and Wings, you have given them the roots, by keeping them in the program and with all they have got from it, now is the time to let them fly and continue with Boy Scouts in the Troop of their choice.

If when all the options are looked at and starting a new Troop is what is best for not just these Lad's but the Lad's who will want to move from a Pack to a Troop in five, ten, even twenty years from now? Go ahead and Good Luck.

Eamonn.

We had a very similar situation to yours; more Scouts who wanted to transition together than any one church was willing to absorb.

There's a lot of good advice here. I'll add two distinct points:

- If you can, recruit up to 4 (startup SPL, ASPL, and two TGs) older Scouts who are willing to work hard and model youth leadership to your 11 year olds for a year or so. Give the graduating Web II's time to develop themselves as people.

- Within 2 years, push out several young men back to Packs to be Den Chiefs. The best recruiter of Cubs to the Boy program is an effective and enthusiastic Den Chief :)

No matter how you decide, happy Scouting to you and the youth! :)

Thanks for the update Jeff. I am sure most troops would be scared to have two whole patrols of new Scouts dropping in at once! That requires at least 8 more tents plus other equipment. (And that's probably the least worry). Eamonns right. These boys can join any troop they want to. They probably want to stick together, but they could certainly split up too. Whatever happens, please keep us updated and good job keeping this large a group. BTW, out of 7 crossovers in 2007, we have 4 still registered. You may find some kids don't succeed in a boy-run group. Sometimes crossover adults can't let go of running things (the old Webelos 3 Troop reference). Good luck whatever you do!

Hmmm... my 2-cent's worth: with 16 new boys, and 4 recruited older boys, I would take the route of:

1 TG to work with an adult ASM for advancment. Focus on each boy's advancement progress and needs.

1 Instructor to work with adult for training, both rank and leadership. Focus on both patrol and individual leadership training.

1 QM to work with adult committee treasurer to begin the process of developing equipment needs for the new troop. Focus on prioritizing equipment needs and coordinating fundraisers to acquire funds for their purchase.

1 SPL to work with the SM who's concern would be to develop the specific leadership of the 4 patrol leaders of the troop. He would be available to the patrols to offer advice and insight at the 6 month time period if the patrols decide to elect new PL's and/or APL's. This "SPL" would be to just be there for the PL's and all the concerns they will have during this first year of new development. He would have secondary responsibilities of working with the TG, Instructor and QM to make sure the proper support is being given these older boys as well.

Extra adults? Support the 4 leaders assigned to the boys. Maybe one adult research summer camp and give to PL's for their consideration, etc.

4 adults assigned to the youth?

ASM - Advancement, assist the TG to be sure the boys' information is properly recorded and maintained in a central location maintained by the TG. Give support to the TG in his work.

ASM - Training, assist the Instructor to be sure the boy's have ample opportunity for rank advancement and leadership training and feed this information to the Instructor.

Treasurer, Assist the QM to be sure that equipment needs are identified and properly researched. Assist QM with fundraising ideas to assist in the purchase of this equipment. Assist the QM in acquiring proper storage facilities for this equipment.

SM - Assist the SPL in all of the support logistics of patrol needs, especially in assisting with any disciplinary, problem solving ideas, and advancement needs the boys identify along the way.

Until the unit gets 1-2 years under their belt, any formal structure of the troop is not as important as the actual functional support structure of the older boys. The PL's and patrols need time to gain knowledge, experience and confidence before they can be considered for a more structured organization.

Stosh