PeteM

I do not believe you can tell someone what their honor should be. I think you could explain to them what Scout's Honor means to you and then have them explain what it means to them. With you going first it may open them up a little or they will just becomes parrots.

I think it's the Scout Law. "On my Honor"...one's good name, reputation, the confidence that people have that you will do the right thing without having to be reminded, regardless of what others may do or peer pressure.

Someone once said, "Character (honor) is what you do when no one's looking."

Of concern beyond understanding what "honor" means is why "personal honor" often appears to have little importance to them. Saying they will do something, but then not; ignoring money owed to another scout or to the troop for something pre-paid; apologizing for something, then repeating the offense multiple times, each with another apology. Other than setting the example, how do we reach them in regard to "having" personal honor?

Pete,

Teaching honor in a single sit down session..tough job. I think it is something conveyed over time in small bites size pieces. I found quite times around the campfire best. We took the points of Law and each time at the campfire we would go around the circle and talk about what we thought it meant, then we went around and told a time in out lives where we lived the value, third time around we talked about how we would try to live it better.

Maybe an excercise such as this would help.

BW