Unit needs new Chartering Organization

You can delegate work but not responsibility.

If the IH and CR wish for the committee to search for and recommend adult leaders fine. But it is still the CO that has the legal burden of responsibility fopr the3 actions or=f EVERY adult registered in the unit.

It is either the CR or IH that must sign their acceptance and approval as the representative of the CO, along with the CC, for every adult application.

The responsibility for the selection of quality leaders cannot be delagated away to anyone.

BW, you have a point, but I believe what you intended to say was, "The responsibility for the selection of quality leaders cannot be delegated away to anyone."

In fact, the selection of those leaders can be delegated and often is. As you note, "work" can be delegated, but not responsibility.

(This message has been edited by Trevorum)

I suspect that many, probably most, COs rely on the existing unit leadership to recommend new leaders and do nothing more than sign the applications. This is probably particularly true in the case of a CO that has a constantly changing membership (such as a PTA that may change its leadership every year). I agree that the ideal is a CO that is really involved and actually helps you find leaders.