• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, the first time I read this thread I was thinking that this was all wishful thinking.

Now that I read through the GTSS a second time it is clear to me that with the wording:

"Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball or dye) at any individual is unauthorized."

The GSS clearly refers to firearms - a device that fires a projectile. A laser tag gun is NOT a firearm, though it may look like one. If their intent was to prevent Scouts from pointing gun-like objects at each other, then they would/should have stated that. Actually laser tag is more akin to pointing flashlights at each other, and we know that happens all too often.

I do think laser tag is not prohibited.

"A laser tag gun is NOT a firearm, though it may look like one. If their intent was to prevent Scouts from pointing gun-like objects at each other, then they would/should have stated that. Actually laser tag is more akin to pointing flashlights at each other,"

Exactly. Nor is a laser tag piece a weapon. If they we're to ban all games that simulated armed conflict or war, it would include, capture the flag, football, chess, water balloon fights, water pistol fights, snowball fights etc. In the laser tag games I've played, nobody dies or even pretends to die, as in paintball. Each team accumulates points for successful strikes on another player or a team's "base".

At the very least the change is a step towards keeping the G2SS, to just that, a document intended to provide guidance on "safe" scouting, not "politically correct" scouting.

SA

HFE said:

"Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball or dye) at any individual is unauthorized." Indirect fire (including mortar fire and Howitzers) is perfectly acceptable.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

Have you seen the latest online version of G2SS?

Cannons ands Large-Bore Artillery

Units are not authorized, under any circumstances, to use a cannon or any other large-bore artillery device.

Boldface denotes policy.

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss08.html

Venturing Crews cannot be a living history artillery unit, but they can be a cavalry unit which sports long sabers and handguns, or infantry units which sport large-bore militar assault rifles and 18" bayonets. Go figure.

By the way, I have seen more injuries in the cavalry and infantry units than I have in artillery units. In this case, the rule is based on false information.

Properly certified, artillery pieces are safer than cavalry and/or infantry because these types of units do not need to be certified in safety.

Laser tag? Kids stuff. :^)

Stosh

Stosh,

The cannons and large-bore artillery restriction is supposedly due to accidents at a few scout camps where cannons used to fire blanks during flag ceremonies exploded and injured scouts.

I can recall one of my council's camps using a cannon back when I went to Webelos camp as a scout--the cannon is no longer there.

Gentlemen,

Potato Cannons are considered "Novelty items" by the Bureau of Alcohol TObacco and Firearms. THey are not "Firearms". THat said, they require a good deal of adult supervision and well practiced saftey protocalls.

The schedule 40 pvc is strong enough to handle the burning of propane based aerosol propellants. (NEver ever use solids!!)

THe biggest dangers I have found are standing behind or obviously down range of these guys. We bult wheeled chasis so the cannnons have stable platforms and can be aimed and moved around. THe platforms also allow the scout a decent distance from the cannon during firing. (Ignition being electric from a barbeque igniter wired into a spark gap.)

If you bevel to mouth of the barrel it cuts the spuds into the proper shape- as long as the scout makes sure that there are no gaps for the gases to blow by during firing. THen you get a major dud.

THe potato cannons are truly a blast. Firing into a pond makes great splashes. We fire at a ply wood panzer tank at about 50 to 100 yards.

We painted our cannons and chasis woodlandcamo colors. THey are a favoite in parades. To fire blanks, you screw the barrel on over a plastic membrane like a zip lock bag. The report is as loud as a 4/10 shotgun.

All four cannons and chasis were built by Cub and Boy Scouts in our school art room over the period of four weeks. Open the windows when applying the PVC glue- or you will get some reall stoned scouts. Hee Hee.

P.S. I too like the idea of allowing Lazer Tag. But it is pretty gosh darn hard to pretend away the paramilitaryness of playing guns within a uniformed organization. Hugh guys????

Your Gung Ho BSA-Heretic

Pappy

Toy or history lesson or target practice or engineering challenge or potential weapon?

Check out the Scout participation in the National Punkin' Chunkin' Championships... How far can a hand made mechanism "toss" a pumpkin?

Trebuchet or Onager or 40' pnuematic tube...

Bridgeville Delaware...

http://www.punkinchunkin.com

Look for "Chuck B's Photos (part 2)" Pics # MGO0727 et al.