Back in the '70s, when I was a Scout, my District (Caesar Rodney, in the DEL-MAR-VA Council {Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia}), had an annual event (late spring, I think), that was a Scout Olympics-style patrol competition. As I was considering trying to revive this tradition in my current District (Three Rivers, also in the DEL-MAR-VA Council), I was hoping some readers of the scouter.com forums might recall the event from the Three Rivers District and be able to jog my memory as to some of the activities that took place during the event. Alternatively, if you have participated in the past, or your District currently holds a similar event, please let me know some of the events your District has.

Many thanks.

Some of the things I did as a Scout (mostly as a cub) along these lines include:

- Triathlon

- Softball

- obstacle course

- summer sault rolling for distances & time

- bike course

- Orienteering

- Push ups Do as many as possible in 1 minute

- Sit ups Do as many as possible can in 2 minutes.

- Running Long Jump Each scout is given two leaps. Only the best one counts.

- Standing Long Jump Each scout is given two leaps. Only the best one counts.

- Leaf ID Scouts are shown several leaves. Name as many as you can in 3mins

- Track ID Same process & scoring as Leaf ID

- Relay Race One lap each around a marked path, passing the baton each time. If the baton is dropped, a 30-second penalty is added.

- Poison Tree - Tie a clove hitch around a tree without going in side the circle.

- Knot-tying Scouts are given clues to a knot, and must tie the right knot correctly (Clove Hitch, Timber Hitch, Sheep Bend and Tautline Hitch.) Score 2 points for each correct knot.

- Firemans CarryThe fireman must run to the victim, pick them up in the firemans cary and carry the victim back to safety. Scoring is on correctness of form and

- Scout Trivia Scouts are asked question. Right answers gain 5 pts. Wrong answers lose 5 points.

- Chubby Bunny Scouts must stuff crackers (or marshmallows) in their mouths, and be able to say "chubby bunny" without swallowing or spitting. Most marshmallows in the mouth wins.

if at a Scout camp for example...

- 22 shooting

- Archery

- Mt man events like tomahawk and knife throwing (assuming right leader with right gear)

Hope my wacky 2 cents is helpful...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....