Thought I would spin this topic off from the perceptions/realities thread, so that one can get back on its topic. Here, lets share experiences with scouts own services on campouts.

My experience: The troop my son was in did not have them. The chaplain's aide, like many support positions, was a "patch only" position; i.e., only thing the aide did was to lead his patrol in grace before meals.

After I became SM, I asked the chaplain's aide to be responsible for leading a short service on Sunday mornings. I supplied copies of the short services that are in BSA's troop planning resources. Over time, I also printed copies of services I found via web searches. It became a regular part of monthly campouts, typically held after everything was packed up, and just before group reflection (ie. thorns & roses). I kept the copies of services in my scout stuff that I brought on every campout. On Sunday AM I asked the chaplain's aide to select one and lead the service.

I was never able to get a parent to serve as chaplain. I think that the scouts holding the position would have gotten more out of it if there had. Occasionally, when either I or my SA had time on Saturday, we would meet with the chaplain's aid and help him put together a custom scouts own. When my SA helped the scout, the service tended to be less non-denominational and more towards his particular religion. I did not complain, I took a glass is half full approach and was happy that this had occurred at all. I do think tha the shared service did put the scouts in a reflective mood, and did modify behavior to their being more considerate of each other. I think it helped put a perspective on the shared fellowship of time spent outdoors together.

I did try to get scouts holding chaplains aide postion to prepare a service on their own, in advance. It never happened. Scouts typically put such things out of their mind between meetings. Under today's directives, I guess I would have to fire the scout; but back then, I was happy with what we got.

The only negative feedback I got was from a parent or two that thought the service a waste of time that delayed getting back home on Sunday morning.

To the parent who thinks the Scouts Own is a waste of time:

Remind them that the first duty in the Scout Oath is "Duty to God", and that the twelfth point of the Scout Law is that "A Scout is Reverent". The duty and law are there for a reason -- and we should not forget the faith componenet of Scouting.

I applaud what you are doing with your troop. I encourage you to get the Chaplain Aide more involved in planning and leading the Scouts Own Sunday service.

"Never do a job a boy can do"

We requested from and were assigned by our chartering organization which happens to be a large denominational church a chaplain. They chose not a full time minister but one of the men involved in the men's ministries at the church. This seems to be a logical tie in. This gentleman works with the chaplain's aide to come up with services and graces for the troop as well as assisting with presenting religious knots as an important part of the BSA program. This has worked for us. Parents are uncomfortable in this position mainly because they don't want to impose their belief's on other boys and may not have wide experience with other faiths. Having an older person who has knocked around a few years and has some interdenominational experience may work much better. If your not chartered by a church then seek out an interdenominational group such as the Gideons, Full Gospel Businessman's Assn., or Promise Keepers group that may have a Chaplain candidate.

1) There is a Chaplain's Aide training manual put out by National. IIRC it has some resources for putting together a Scout's Own.

2) As Scott suggested, ask your Chartered Partner. Even VFW/AL has a position of Chaplain for each Post. If you don't ask, you cannot get!

3) One caution: Contact parents individually. Talk with them about faith. Make sure a generic Scout's Own is not "scandalous' to them or their child. There are Christian denominations which WILL NOT abide worship outside Christendom. One of the worst S.O. services I ever heard had readings from the Koran and the Bhagavad-Gita (sp?).

John, out of curiousity, what made that one of the worst?

This matter of generic recognition vs. forcing one's beliefs upon others is something that I see as rather tricky to navigate, even in a group that is mainly Christian. I don't doubt that it can be done but I can see why many troops prefer to stay clear.

We hold a religious service on our campouts. We have a basic program that can be modified, which is pretty non-denominational. The boys split up the different parts and are in charge of the service. Either I or one of the other adults will deliver a message at the appropriate time in the service. It is not a sermon that is preached, but more of a homily related to Scouting.

This is the structure of our services:

Call To Worship

Be praised, O God, by all that fills the temple of Your world;

By the colors written on the hymnal of the sky;

By grains and fruit filled trees that bow their heads to You;

Be the steeples of trees lifted to heaven;

By the vespers of lakes, silent in meditation;

Be praised, O God, by all that fills the temple of Your world.

Hymn - America

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountains' majesty,

Above the fruited plain.

America, America, God shed His grace on thee,

And crown they good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea.

Invocation

Dear Heavenly Father,

Helps us to keep our honor bright and teach us that the integrity of our character is a priceless possession. Grant that we may do our best today, and strive to do even better tomorrow. Teach us that duty is a friend and not an enemy. Help us face the most disagreeable task cheerfully. Give us the faith to understand our purpose and life. Open our minds to the truth and fill our hearts with love. We are thankful for all the blessings that You have bestowed upon our country. Help us do our duty to our country and to know that a good nation is made of good men and women. May we never tire of the joy of helping other people, or never look the other way when someone is in need. You have given us the gift of our bodies. Make us wise enough to keep them healthy. You are the source of all wisdom. Help us have alert minds. Help us know the difference between right and wrong and lead us on a straight path toward a worthy goal. Amen.

Responsive Reading

Leader: A true and worthy person recognizes his obligations and does them without being watched or compelled.

People: A Scout is Trustworthy

Leader: We owe so much to so many: to home, school, community, nation and to God.

People: A Scout is Loyal

Leader: The Good Samaritan showed the spirit of doing a good turn.

People: A Scout is Helpful

Leader: A true friend is a person who gives assistance to his or her brethren.

People: A Scout is Friendly

Leader: Courtesy is a mark of all faiths. It is shown in thoughtful acts and respect for all.

People: A Scout is Courteous

Leader: Kindliness is the way people show consideration for others.

People: A Scout is Kind

Leader: Life is filled with things that we must do whether we like them or not. A mark of maturity is the ability to accept responsibilities willingly and do them gladly.

People: A Scout is Obedient

Leader: Our moods make our days. If we are grouchy, our days are gloomy. If we are happy, we share our joy with others.

People: A Scout is Cheerful

Leader: The world offers many gifts. A wise person uses them with care.

People: A Scout is Thrifty

Leader: At times, each of us faces danger, difficulty, and temptation. Let each of us have the courage to do the right thing.

People: A Scout is Brave

Leader: Cleanliness is next to Godliness. It is healthy to have a clean body, a clean mind and a clean conscience.

People: A Scout is Clean

Leader: Our character is determined partly by the things we worship. If we respect ourselves and our brothers and sisters, and see them as gifts of the goodness of our God, we worship our Creator.

People: A Scout is Reverent

All: Give us clean words and thoughts. Teach us to work hard and play fairly. Forgive us when we are unkind. Help us to help others. Send us strength to do a good turn each day and so live by thy will.

Message delivered by SM or other leader.

Hymn - God Bless America

God bless America, Land that I love,

Stand beside her and guide her,

Through the night with the light from above.

From the mountains, to the prairies,

To the oceans white with foam,

God bless America, my home sweet home

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Benediction

May the trail rise to meet you,

May the wind always be at your back,

May the rain fall softly on your face,

May the Lord hold you in the hollow of His hand,

And grant you peace. Amen

If you have a mixed faith Troop of Christian, Judaic and Islamic youth, if any scriptures are kept to the Old Testament, there should be no major issues. But all three texts, the Bible, Koran, and Torah all talk of loving thy brother, helping thy neighbor, etc. There are plenty of scriptures from all three that are easily interchangeable as the others, and just as appropriate.

Why not look at Seton's "GOSPEL OF THE REDMAN" and use passages from it. When he wrote it, and had leaders of different faiths and denominations proofread the transcript, they all thought that he based it off of their respective faiths/ denominations, Native, Christian, Judaism, Islam, etc.

I like the idea of a S. O. service with a different religious flavor at each camp-out. Maybe the Scouts will realize that we all aren't that different, unlike a lot of adults. Sorry John, but making the service to narrow and strict to one religious belief when others are involved, well the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition come to mind. Amd yes John, you spelled it write. LOL.

One Troop that I know of has a large three ring binder with ideas on services. The CO is a Catholic church, but the troop is mixed faith. If they have only Catholics on the outting, the service takes that flavor. If it's mixed, the Chaplains Aide goes for a more mixed service.

I found The Big Book of Scout Worship Services on the web, but can't remember where! It's great! Has tons of stuff to use for a variety of worship services. If anyone is interested in this, PM me with you e-mail & I will send it to you.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Our chaplain's aide was tasked with putting together a manual of worshipit took him a while, but he did a good job. He found a lot of resources on the web. His next task is Scout Sunday.

Our troop chaplain is also our COR; we have a member of the committee who works with the chaplain and the chaplain's aide as a resource. We did not exactly plan it that way, it is just where his interests were.

A bit of pedantry: The term "Scouts' Own" is now discouraged by National; we are to use "outdoor worship service" or "interfaith worship service."

http://www.scouting.org/identity/los/

Ed

A bit of pedantry: The term "Scouts' Own" is now discouraged by National; we are to use "outdoor worship service" or "interfaith worship service."

Gotta wonder why? And really, who cares what we call it!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

"Scouts Own"

"Outdoor Interfaith Service"

Diversity awareness...

Our district makes sure to have a "Scouts Own" discussion/training in the IOLS training weekend. Alot of good comments and uh-hums during.

Single faith units vs diverse faith units vs no faith units (rather not bring it up. Don't want to OFFEND anyone). How to approach a religious service (there's that Scout word "service"*) so as to let it bring everyone in? or no one but a few? or ...

But a good, spiritual experience can still be had out in the woods, and many good quotes/readings/prayers/thoughts are available to them that seek via the google. Bible and q'ran can exist side by side.

The Golden Lotus has much to recommend itself. "The Redmans Gospel" by Seton will provoke much thought. The Irish and Sufi both can pray better than me.

An open mind is a good qualification for a Scout Chaplain. RE: Father Mulcahy of MASH.

Hey, maybe SCOUTER.COM needs a new section on Chaplaincy? Or (shudder) just RELIGION?

* A visitor comes into a silent Quaker Meeting. He sits down beside a Friend on a bench and waits. After a few minutes in the silence, he leans over to the Friend and whispers "when does the service start?"

The Friend leans over and whispers back "after Meeting is over".

YiS&C

"A bit of pedantry: The term "Scouts' Own" is now discouraged by National; we are to use "outdoor worship service" or "interfaith worship service."

My first reaction was, "Oh, barf!"

After thinking about it, I was right the first time.

BrentAllen - I love the service you posted!

NC(This message has been edited by novice_cubmaster)