Drivers License and Eagle

what's worse is the number of boys that are only in scouts because their parents have tied getting their drivers license to getting their eagle

Yah, wanted to spin this one off, eh?

How many of you are seein' this, or similar sorts of things?

How are you addressing it, if at all?

B

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen it but I've heard of it on these threads. While I maintain that parents are free to make such decisions with regard to their children, I think there must be a better approach. It isn't exactly the kind of positive motivation I would hope a boy would have for pursuing rank, any rank.

We have not seen it in the unit I serve. I have heard of it and agree, it is not the kind of motivator I would like to see.

So far I can honestly say, all the scouts that I have seen achieve Eagle in our unit have been internally motivated. Not that they didn't need a good nudge here and there, but it was something they wanted to achieve and for the most part, 90% have been very active scouts, serving as SPL, ASPL, working on camp staff, etc. Which is as it should be in my opinion.

SA

I have seen this used by some parents in my unit. It has worked for their scout, but I do agree that it should not be used as a motivator to earn Eagle. The last parents in my troop that did this really did not need to because the scout was already motivated to earn Eagle. It was just a carrot dangled out there so he could get it by 16.

When I was in scouts as a youth, I never heard my buddies saying they had this "motivation."

Had a family in the Troop I serve do this to their two boys. They had to make Eagle to get a drivers license. The older boy fought it. He wasnt happy most of the time and did his work, but it was obvious he would have been much happier doing just about anything else. He earned Eagle and that was the last we saw of him.

His younger brother started off the same way, fighting it, but then as he got older he became more engaged, at his Eagle Court of Honor he said he didnt relish making Eagle when he started, but as time went on, he realized he enjoyed scouting.

So, two brothers, both Eagles, one hated it another loved it.

Were the parents wrong for making Eagle a condition for getting a drivers license? Well, yes and no, at the same time

I've known only a few Scoutmasters/ASMs (parents) that have imposed the no DL until earning Eagle on their sons. In only one case do I remember the Scout earning Eagle by the time he was 15. In the other cases, by the time the Scouts turned 16, then 17, and still had not earned Eagle, the parents gave in to the DL because they got tired of driving their sons around. An empty threat in those cases. None of those guys ever earned Eagle.

"How many of you are seein' this, or similar sorts of things?"

See a lot of it in some Troops.

"How are you addressing it, if at all?"

While OJ was setting the world record for spending the longest time ever as a Life Scout, I explained to anyone who would listen that it was His Eagle, his goal and up to him!!

gwd-scouter, makes a good point about it being an empty threat. We live out in the sticks, having someone who can run out for a gallon of milk does come in very handy!!

Ea.

I know a few parents who've done this, with mixed results...

I'm not forcing my son to get his Eagle first, but I have told him that if he wants to get his learner's permit before he turns 16, he needs to have his service project plan ready to present for approval. Otherwise, he'll wait until after his 16th birthday.

Yes, it's the carrot/stick approach, but whether or not he actually carries out the project, or finishes the last couple merit badges is still up to him.

I've seen it used three times.

In one case, it motivated the scout to get his Eagle by his 16th B-day. Good kid, would have got Eagle by 18 regardless, but it motivated him.

Second case, it didn't motivate the kid. He simply didn't get his license. He eventually got Eagle just under the wire but the DL wasn't the motivator, getting it on his college application was (mom demanded it). He didn't get his DL until he graduated from HS and needed it for a summer job.

Third case, dad set the rule when he was 14. 16 came by and the kid still didn't have Eagle. Got his license anyways. Good kid, just like his dad. BTW, his dad didn't make Eagle because of motivation issues and he wanted to do something different. Now is facing 18 and aging out. I give him a 50/50 chance to finish.

My son? I wouldn't make it a requirement. DL is dependant on his ability to demonstrate his ability to show proper respect and maturity to operate a motor vehicle. But we are rural and a DL is a major deal for mobility and lifestyle. If he gets Eagle before or after makes no difference to me. I'd just like him to make Eagle. Of course that's entirely up to him.

The brother in law and sister in law did this with their son. I told them what I thought about it and soon after they changed their mind, I do not know if it was my little talk with them, but I like to think so. :) But I doubt it.

We have 2 in the troop now that was given this stipulation also. I think one of them would have gotten Eagle without the parent holding the license for ransom, the other I doubt it, they are twins.

I told the in laws to me that was like paying you children to get good grades. I know some parents do this, but it is something I am really not a fan of.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves..."You can't get________ until you complete Eagle".

I know parents are doing what they think is best for their kids, but Eagle is something that the kid should want to earn, not mommy or daddy making him earn it. A nudge here and there is ok.

One case with my Venturing Crew...Young man couldn't join the crew until he made Eagle...a year later, kid stopped going to troop meetings and working on Eagle all to gether. I meet up with mom, we talk, and boom kid joins the crew, is still in Scouting, and guess what...he is working on his Eagle. Several of the youth in my crew have gotten Eagle Scout (through their affilated troops) gave our youngster a case of peer pressure.

This happens way too much. It has come up a million times in trainings and we trainers all say the same thing...Don't tie earning Eagle to the DL, or any other such thing, in most cases it causes the kid to rebel and push away from the pressure. I typcially talk to the parents and the boy separately and get them to agree to make a commitment without causing pain and suffering along the way.

Forget a driver's license. How many have boy's in their troop whose sole purpose is to "get Eagle?" We've had four boys earn Eagle this year in our troop. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that for three of them, earning that rank was the sole purpose they were in Scouting.

I've told parents (I'm not a smooth talker) that I feel my responsibility/goal as a Scoutmaster is to teach their son's leadership skills and character - not to have them earn the Eagle rank. There is a subtle difference that many parents and Scouters don't quite grasp. I try to promote NYLT and it falls on deaf ears for most parents. However, the Trail to Eagle program perks up their ears!(This message has been edited by acco40)