National,

How many Scouts and Scouters do we have registered nationally?

2009 registration fee up $1.00 for the cost of entering the float. That should bring in a several hundred thousand dollars easily. What is not needed for the float could be used to pay the way for a marching Scout band to travel to and be in the parade, plus the float riders. National would have to handle and keep track of the financial end, but it would be no money out of their pocket per say. Everyone then gets a special 100 Anniversary patch since they automatically contributed.

2010, use the money for Jambo, or at least provided campperships for Jambo.

2011, registration drops back down $1.00. In our dreams. LOL.

Well, some good ideas so far here....the float and band idea are ok, but the $64,000 question is...how many scout-age kids will see the 1-3minute exposure the float and band would get?

The OCC chopper? those guys are the poster kids for dysfunctional families...please!

My idea; Survivor: Philmont. It would be on the air a lot longer than a parade on new years day. Chances are more scout age youth would watch it...It would give the BSA an opportunity to show OUR scouts and what they are capable of.

The participants could go to Philmont..form crews/elect leader(s)/draw equipment and head out to the trail...no practice hikes..no shakedown...just take your best shot and haul what you brung!(no dumping gear). It would be at least entertaining and hopefully show that SOME youth in the good 'ol US of A can hack the outdoors without having a hover-parent present.

The best part is...the actual youth and advisors trekking at Philmont would be on air to show that the BSA is THE original Survivor....Title; Survivor-Be Prepared-Philmont

krout,

That's a great idea. Toss in a little FEAR FACTOR to boot.

But what would it cost to run such a program for a season?

What network might be willing to try something like this?

How could it also be aimed at inner city youth?

ASM915; thanks, I think the costs for this would be borne by the network and its advertisers. BSA and Philmont Scout Ranch could/would provide the services in the form of equipment use and food for the participants while using the facilities on the ranch.

The BSA stands to benefit from such an endevour (should it ever actually occur) from the exposure afforded through a nationally broadcast, prime time TV reality show. I cant say for sure how this would specifically benefit Scouts from inner city units, except to suggest that the survivor crews could be shadowed by a crew specifically made up from Scouts and advisors from urban or inner city troops or Venture crews.

A crew of rural Scouts could shadow the other Survivor crew (tribe) to promote competition with the Scout crews as well as the TV show participants.

The Survivor crews would need to modify their format to allow all tribe or crew to complete the trek. This would forgo the voting off/out of participants. This might be a chance to have the show take the tack of helping the weaker members rather than excluding/eliminating them.

My only reservation in this idea, is that having a TV crew, survivor participants doing this show at Philmont DURING the normal season for trekking would deny some Scouts from going there as Philmont has only so many spaces for so many people in a given year to go on a trek.

kraut,

Who said it needs to be during hot, hunid sticky weather. Hold it in late September thru early November. So it rains or snows, its SURVIVOR isn't it? Then of course, you run into the problem of Scouts shadowing the tribes, unless the participants are actual Scouts. Then it can be moved back to summertime.

• 1 month later...

I think someone's sneaking in here from National and scoping our ideas. The Rose Parade Float idea is ON THE TABLE! Wooo Hoooo!

There are many other very exciting high profile activities being planned for the 100th anniversary of the BSA. I had a regional meeting yesterday in the OC and they layed out the National strategy and what they would provide local councils to help facilitate big blow out celebrations. I even got to meet Bob Mazzuca, the new CSE. This is going to be an awesome couple of years for the BSA. I hope you're all ready for it. I am (I hope).