While watching the Rose Parade this morning, I could not help but wonder if there is a committee of some sort that has been gathered to explore entering a float celebrating the 100th anniversary of BSA in 2010; and possibly also a band of some type made from scouts from around the country. Now would certainly be the time to have this put in motion. Also, the NESA Eagle search would fit into something like this, with a few Distiguished Eagles perhaps honored on the float. I know that there are likely numerous Eagles who could plan and design floats, as there are many who attend prestigious engineering and art schools. No dearth of scouts and scouters to help decorate in Southern California either.

Just a thought looking forward.

During the centennial (2010) the BSA will also hold the National Jamboree. Traditionally, the BSA has put together a band consisting of Scouts (14 and up?) to play for dignitaries, special events, jambo itself, etc. Possibly use this band for the Rose Bowl parade?

If so, the question of expenses comes up. Should band members pay for their trip (a la Jambo) or should the BSA foot the bill?

Trout,

Great idea!!!

Acco, National has to have advertising figured into their budget. If National ran a TV spot, especially prike time, theyw ould be paying out the nose. Bring the Scouts to Pasadena for 3 or 4 nights would still come in cheaper then a TV spot.

Trout, I bet we could find Scouters from all the areas needed to make the float, possibly pro bono. Distinguished Eagles would be great. But, let's find the less known, more interesting ones, not well know ones from DC that would use it for more recognition.

Maybe the area Council's could come up with a 1000 Scouts/Scouters to march in front of and behind the float, 15-20 wide by 50 rows. Now talk about making a statement.

Wow, great idea, I'm stealing it officially.

My council is in So Cal and I've been asked to chair a Council Committee directing our 2010 celebration efforts. The "big party" for the 100th anniversay is supposed to happen in February of 2010, with festivities culminating in the 2010 Jambo. This idea of a Rose Parade float would be awesome. I would bet we could get many volunteers to help decorate. San Gabriel Valley Council would be the home turf of this event.

Maybe have some youth who've been awarded Heroism or Valor medals ride it, wow there's a ton of potential. Great idea troutmaster!

As for the band, I doubt Nat'l would pay for any part of that, it's just not the way things are done IMO. I think ASM915 has it right, paying for a Nat'l band's travel would be much cheaper than prime time advertising, however good PR folks can get all the exposure you're willing to handle for a price as well.

I noticed most floats are corporate-sponsored. Marriott Corp and Edy's Ice Cream come to mind. Maybe something to honor Steve Fossett? (I got my Eagletter today)

An all-Scout marching band would be awesome! Take some talented high school band members who are also scouts...I would contribute!

I'm a Rotarian, we had a float and Rotary asked each member to donate $3 to the cause to pay for it. I don't know how wide an audience they plucked to get the dough, but $3 was not a difficult thing to give up for a bunch of flowers rolling down Colorado Blvd.

I think this is a great idea. In the opening ceremonies I saw several scouts (Girl & Boy Scouts). I like the band idea. If each council had two or three boys. That would make up a good size band. I know I have some boys that would love to try out for it.

You could do the same thing for the float too. Have so many boys from each council apply to work on the float. I remember going to Philmont in 1978 or 1980 and they had a special patch to help raise money for the Olympics. If a scout wanted to donate $2.00 then you got a special patch for it. You could sell these patches to help raise money within your council level.

I just wonder what the Rose Parade Committee rules apply. I am sure they have a lot of restrictions. Will have to go check it out. Maybe"kb6jra" can give us more info as he lives in Souther Cal. GREAT IDEA "troutmaster".

kb6,

Good idea about the heroism and Lifesaving Medal Recipients.

The float could be called "REAL AMERICAN HEROS". How many Medals are handed out in a year anyway? Can't be that many. I only know of two recipients in our Councils over several years. I'm sure both would love to apply for a cjance to ride the float.

Ok, here's the skinny I've gleaned off of the website www.tournamentofroses.com

Parade includes only Marching Bands, Equestrian units, and floral floats. Only 3 cars are allowed as per tradition, the Mayor of Pasadena, the President of the Tournament, and the Grand Marshall (Emeril Lagasse this year)

Floats are limited to no more than 50 due to the length of the parade and the following Rose Bowl game.

The cost can be estimated at a minimum of $175,000 per float and should be produced by one of the few approved professional float builders in the area. There are some self built floats, Cal Poly for instance, but only a small handful do so. Note, after watching this years float, I don't see quality an issue, they floats were awesome. The Cost of the floats are dependent on the complexity, flowers used, and any animation added.

The Tournament charges a fee to participate, for non commercial entities the fee is $3,700, approx 1/2 of what a commercial entity fee would be.

Applications are accepted at all times, but they have not announced any themes for next year or 2010 as of yet.

Total audience for the 2008 parade was estimated to be around 40 million households, in addition the parade is televised in 140 international territories. The parade is carried live on 9 networks, not to mention re broadcast throughout the day on several others. The parade is viewed live, in person by approximately 1 million persons along the parade route, and additional visitors view the floats for 2 days after the parade in selected locations. I would estimate the length of time a float gets on camera is about 1 minute give or take. At a cost of let's say $250,000 (can't have a cheap float after all)that's really not terrible considering a commercial on national TV for 1 minute on prime time, during a national event, is at least that much or more, and that's on one network, not 9 as is the case here.

Now for the fun part, if this is to be something that should happen, and it's a fantastic idea and opportunity, who's gonna raise the monies needed to pull this off? In the grand scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket, but it's still a pretty good chunk. Something of this nature would need to be handled by Nat'l, or at least the Region I would think. Hmmmm, who do we know that could put a bug in the ear of the powers that be in Irving...

Funding would likely be fairly simple if it was spread out across the SC area between interested councils, scouts, scouters, and friends. Some of scouting's sponsor groups might even be interested, such as service clubs and so on. Would seem to me that teh San Gabriel Council should perhaps spearhead an effort, since it is the home of the parade. Keep us posted.

Keep us posted...wow, did I just attend a district committee meeting....lol

(looking at you with a suspicious sideways glance) Wasn't this your idea? hmmmm

I am going to bring this up to my council's board, and maybe get my SE to put a bug in the ear of SGVC folks soon to get some emotion stirring. I have a couple of friends on that board as well, so we'll see what gives.

What just happend anyway?

Maybe the BSA could commission Orange County Choopers to do a 100th Anniversary Bike, with B-Ps sihouette on the sissy bar with fenders and gas tank in Khaki and red, I am sure Paul Jr could spice it up. TLC does a show on making it and presenting it at the 2010 Jamboree or just before the Rose Parade and the bike goes on a national tour shown as a symbol of the 100th anniversary