Boxing Day has nothing to do with the sport of boxing.

Back in the day!! When the sun never set on the British empire.

Large households had lots of servants.

Christmas Day was a busy day for these hard workers.

Cooking and looking after the family.

(No this wasn't so long back! When my Mother first left Ireland, she worked as a maid in the house of a rich Doctor.)

So these guys and girls waited till the day after the holiday to open their gifts which came in boxes.

Even today the term "Christmas Box" is used for a Christmas Bonus or tip - Like you might leave the newspaper delivery person or the mail-man.

Of course over the years things have changed.

Christmas Day in England is very much a family day.

In the part of London where I lived, it was common for families to go to church, the women rushed home to cook Christmas dinner (Lunch).

The men went to the pub, for a couple of pints and to keep out of the way.

Back home in time for the Queen's speech and an over-sized lunch, normally roast turkey and all the trimmings, followed by Christmas Pudding (Plum Duff), more adult beverages.

Then everyone sat in front of the telly.

Christmas Day was the biggest TV day of the year, with all sorts of special shows. Some of which legendary legendary.

The ads on the TV were all for where to go on your summer holiday! (Vacation.)

Of course after all that food and other stuff, everyone had a nap!!

They woke up in time for tea!! Cold sandwiches, tea, and Christmas cake (Rich dark fruit cake, with marzipan and royal icing) Later in the evening drinks would be served. My Mother wasn't a drinker but she would have a glass of Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry, at Christmas.

Sadly for a lot of families (Not mine!!)Spending an entire day together was just a little too much.

Boxing Day was a day to go out with your friends.

Everyone was eating left-over turkey!! So there was never a need to rush home!!

Kind of a lazy day, no one really had anything to do or to be anyplace. Just a nice lazy laid back day. It is a National Holiday.

Now I'm this side of the pond.

I enjoy making sure that the cookies find a good home!!

Needless to say Rory likes to help.

Happy Boxing Day.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

Growing up in WNY across the mighty lower Niagara River from St. Catherines, Ontario, Boxing Day was a staple in my house due to the proliferation of Canadian radio and TV.

Many years later, Boxing Day had a more meaningful manifestation. In 1990 I had the priviledge of taking possession of 4 new (to me) M1A1-HA tanks at Christmastime in Daharan, Saudi Arabia. After a long roadmarch back to our battalion area Christmas Day was spent on a makeshift firing range makeing sure they worked. Boxing Day was the first day I had to take a breather and open up the Christmas box that came from my parents back Stateside. Brownies, some cassette tapes, a note from Mom and an uncharacteristic letter from my Dad.

Today I wished several people at work (in Maryland) a Happy Boxing Day and was rewarded with quizzical looks and general confusion.

So to you I say Happy Boxing Day and know you understand and appreciate it.

YiS,

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council(This message has been edited by WVCubDad)