Veteran application (tenure)

First time poster here.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction...

I was a Cub and Boy Scout when I was much younger and I stayed stayed active (and registered) until after I graduated from college. I was given my 10-year veteran pin and card in 1978.

As some people do, I drifted away for awhile, but got back into Scouting when my son brought a Tiger Cub flyer home from school. As I immersed myself back into Scouting, I realized how much Scouting had meant to me - something about how absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Anyways, after spending the past several years as a Tiger Adult, Webelos Leader, Asst. Scoutmaster, District Activities Chair, Council trainer, etc., I filled out the Veteran-status application for 15-years and submitted it. I was stunned when it the application was denied and returned to me. At that time the Council registrar stated that the year I spent as a Tiger Adult (even though I was the defacto "leader" & coordinator of our group) did not count because "I was not paid".

At first I was confused I thought I might have missed out on a paycheck or two at some point. Then I realized that she meant that I hadnt paid a registration fee, so that particular tenure didnt count towards veteran status.

At that time, Tiger Adults in our Council did not have to pay a registration fee. Im not sure if this was the case elsewhere, but we did have to fill out and submit a registration form. In fact the Registrar was kind enough to give me a copy of the computer printout that clearly states I was registered as a Tiger Adult.

Nevertheless, because I hadnt paid the $7 or whatever the registration fee was at that time, the year I spent as a registered volunteer somehow doesnt count towards veteran status.

Practically all of the posts on Scouter.com reference registration periods as the basis for veteran tenure. If thats so, then my registration as a Tiger Adult should countright? I submitted the form AND they have it in the computer as a registered position.

Ive looked through every handbook and manual I can lay my hands on but I have not been able to find any specific requirements regarding veteran status criteria. Can someone point me in the right direction?

BTW Using the year I spent as Tiger Adult, I believe that I actually have enough tenure now to apply for 20-year veteran status. And yes, I does mean a lot to me (see the separate thread this was spun-off from)Im an Eagle, my two brothers are Eagles, my parents are Silver Beaver recipients, and my son is two merit badges and a project away from Eagle. Scouting is in our blood

-Nic

Nic,

I counted my Tiger leader year because I had registered as the Tiger Coach, then Tom Sawyered it to one of the moms...pretty slick move actually. I think the only way they have of verifying the veteran tenure is paid registerd years, and since Tiger parernts are not required to register per se, they're not on the books. I'm not sure whether I agree with that or not, since I'm not adversly affected by it, but I can understand the dilema of the registrar on this.

It means you'll need to suck up that one year and "make it up" later down the road. Look at it this way, at least you'll probably have fun doing it...

Merry Christmas

To my fellow Bicentennial Eagle, welcome to the forum. So you have a Jerry signature also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't forget your time as a Scout. That counts also. That could add an additional 11 years to the total, or 12 depending when they started Tiger Cubs. To bad I took a 20 year Sabbatical. I would be going for 40 years instead of 20.

Good luck. I hope they change their minds.

First, I'm 90% sure about the following but don't have an official BSA response on the topic.

Like it our not, time spent as Tiger Partner (not parent - any adult may serve as the Tiger Partner) is not a (paying) registered position and thus does not count toward years of service. Try to find the unit code for that position on the adult application. It is not there.

This is very similar to a merit badge counselor. One may be a "registered" MBC but if that is the only adult position, it is not a paying registered position, it does not count toward years of service.

Acco40-

I guess your answer makes perfect sense...no code, no credit.

Too bad it's probably tied to $ though...

Oh well, I'll just file that app away until whenever.

Shouldn't be a prob finding something to do since I'm helping the boys plan their Klondike outing in January and helping another Troop with their 2-deep for a mountain snowshoe trek in Feb. Then there's the March overnight snowshoe campout and our July canoe trek. Oh yeah, there's also the WB21stC course I'm staffing next Fall, the Council Summer Camp Provisional Troop I'm volunteering for and the Venturing Kodiak Course I'm staffing...

Should be no problem sticking around for another year :-)

Thanx all.