Relationship with Chartered Organization

I'm a new Cubmaster, having served the last three years as a den leader in our pack. By way of background, the pack has about 40 boys and delivers, in my opinion, a fun and interesting program. We have active adult involvement as well. There may be some work to do, but all in all, we've got a great thing going.

In preparing to take the Cubmaster role, I've learned more about the roles of various pack leadership positions and how they're supposed to interact. It turns out that our relationship with our chartered organization is, well, nonexistent. I found out that our COR is a leader in our church's troop, which has had no interaction with the pack since I've been a leader. (I've never even seen evidence that the troop existed, and in fact our UC just told me that they're disbanding at the end of the year.) I've never met the COR and the IH doesn't participate in Scouting whatsoever. It seems that the sole role of the CO in our pack is signing the annual charter application and providing meeting space.

So my question is this: Does that matter? Even without CO involvement we're able to deliver a great program to the boys. If getting the CO more involved benefits the boys, I'm all for it. But I'm not interested in waking a sleeping dog.

I'm sure, as with many topics on this forum, that the official BSA answer and the practical answer may or may not match. All opinions are welcome. I just want to start off on the right foot.

I'll give yeh the practical answer, then.

Nope, da situation you describe ain't unusual. Though DE's are supposed to visit the IH every year, and COR's should be trained and such, neither happens very often :(. Lots of units out there like yours.

I'd suggest you "reach out." Take the IH and COR to lunch. Ask what the pack can do for the church. Invite 'em to your Blue and Gold. Go meet the youth minister and say "hi". Relationships are a two-way thing, and it doesn't really matter which side reaches out, eh?

There's some good reasons for doin' so. Lots of times, if da CO is thinkin' about you, they can plug you into more resources, get you more space, etc. If a complaint comes up, you're a "known friend" that they will support, rather than a problem. If suddenly your pack has a problem that needs a firm resolution, they can be there.

Just like anything in Scoutin', if the CO relationship isn't what it should be, put it on your list of things to work on. You'd be surprised by how it can help.

Beavah

I agree with the Beavah.

Our troop moved to the church that is our CO before I brought my boys to the troop. This church opens its doors and gym facilities to lots of sporting teams and such, and they considered us just one more group using their building. The only time we heard fromt them was when they complained to us about our boys breaking something, whether they did or not. They gave us a sunday school room to use, no storage space and no trailer parking. Our COR did not come around and our past SM's did not contact the church that much.

We considered finding another CO, and put together some power point presentations to show to church boards. We came close to moving, but the final vote of the board of elders of the prospective home church was against us.

Then our CC had the bright idea of doing the presentation for the current CO, sort of as a re introduction, since a lot of church personnel had changed. We had a very successful meeting, that resulted in our being given the keys to the very nice youth building with cafe, game room, sound booth, outdoor ampatheater with fire ring; the works. We want to pitch the troop to the youth group, another opportunity we have missed in the past, and will get to do that in the spring.

If I were you, I would make the first move and contact the CO, get a new COR appointed if need be, and stay in the loop.

Reaching out to an IH almost cost me a troop.We sat down with the new minister and explained that we were more than just another group that used their hall and that we belonged to them and were part of there outreach ministry... She replied "oh no, I'm not interested in that, I have a dream of using a drama program to do outreach"...

Had to call in every favor I ever had to save the troop.

Now when the CO ignores me I smile.

This topic comes up regularly on the forum. Your situation isn't uncommon.

Does it matter? Only when it matters. You might happily go on for years with no issues. Or something might come up that causes problems and it would be good to be tied in. Notwithstanding wingnut's cautionary tale, I'd still give the same advice Beavah did - it could help to reach out and get to know them.

wingnut, I suppose your experience is why I asked the question in the first place. As most others have posted, I would imagine the outcome of reaching out to the CO is good in most cases. But I'm not sure the valid points that have been brought up in this thread apply in our case. To wit:

- The CO does provide a free meeting place for pack meetings; it's the only space they've got. Den meeting and storage space needs are not accommodated, but there really aren't spaces available. Possibly an advantage to reach out to the CO; probably not.

- We show our support by volunteering to do service projects. Very occasionally, our offers are accepted (and we happily and diligently fulfill them). No advantage, as we reach out to the CO already.

- Most of our Webelos cross over to a large, terrific troop with a different CO. Some go to others; none in recent memory crossed over to the troop at our CO. No advantage.

- We have never asked for or received financial support from the CO, which is wrestling with debt from a major building project. No advantage.

- We're already recruiting actively in school associated with the CO. No advantage.

Maybe the tiebreaker is Beavah's: it's just the right thing to do to build that relationship. Could be it works to our advantage, maybe it doesn't.

But...

I don't want to end up on the same road as wingnut. Has anyone else had experiences where the unit reached out to its CO and regretted that decision?