Scouter patch collection stolen

That scout troop in VA who had their Christmas trees stolen wasn't the only ones to get robbed recently.

One of our local scouting families (both parents are long time leaders and their kids are scouts) came home from Thanksgiving to discover that their home had been ransacked. This is highly unusual (but on the increase) in our area.

Among the things stolen where the leaders' patch collection in two large three ring binders representing two generations of scouting in their family. In addition, the thief(ves) stole their son's patch vest.

We're still trying to get a complete list from them of the items stolen.

If/when I get a list, it will be posted here and elsewhere.

In the meantime, I've left messages with other leaders in their unit to try and determine what events their son had attended in the past. We may never be able to recover that which was stolen, but maybe we could at least reassemble that one patch vest for the son.

Why would someone steal patches?

Because of auction sites like eBay. Provided common event patches don't sell for much. But slip in an OA flap or two from Far East Council or a lodge that no longer exists (such as some of the patches in the stolen binders--we're still working on that list) and you'll see that auction fly skyward.

I have my firearms insured as well as my car. Maybe I should take out patch insurance.

I went through my accumulation of CSPs and OA flaps and I have a couple of grand in my binders. Add in the duplicates that I have in shoeboxes and we're looking at enough to buy a good used car.

> Your patches should be covered by your home owners insurance.

You need to check with your insurer. I read the fine print when I bought this house. With my insurer, collections are insured only if they are itemized, valued and registered with the insurance company.

Ed

> Your patches should be covered by your home owners insurance.

You need to check with your insurer. I read the fine print when I bought this house. With my insurer, collections are insured only if they are itemized, valued and registered with the insurance company.

Yup, and I need to take the time to better catalog my own collection of roughly 2000 CSPs, OA flaps and event patches. Most of the event patches are "worthless" as few collect those, but add the entire collection together and I could replace the Buick, aka the Stealth Lemon, I drive with a very good used or a low-end new vehicle for what it's worth.

A few years ago we got evacuated by a major forest fire in the middle of the night. No time to pack. Our insurance agent said afterwards that we should video tape a walking tour of the house opening every cabinet and drawer. Then keep the tape in your car. At least it documents what you had.

Food for though on documenting valuables...

I keep digital video of valuables. I have a copy in the safe, but I also have zipped, encrypted copies stored on an FTP site so that I can access then from anywhere (I travel a lot and often have info that I need to access when I am away). I do not like to store on a PC as I have had a pc die and had to have it forensically resurrected...not fun. Learned my lesson there.

Peace.

Food for though on documenting valuables...

I keep digital video of valuables. I have a copy in the safe, but I also have zipped, encrypted copies stored on an FTP site so that I can access then from anywhere (I travel a lot and often have info that I need to access when I am away). I do not like to store on a PC as I have had a pc die and had to have it forensically resurrected...not fun. Learned my lesson there.

Peace.

A couple of years ago someone broke into our Venturers' Den, breaking the lock on the door, and stole nothing but the Australian flag. (Yes, I'm in Australia.)

It's nice to have patriotic criminals.

• 2 months later...

It's so disheartening. A scout leader in our district spotted a potential auction on eBay this past Tuesday that could be the stolen collection and notified me. I, in turn, notified the scout leaders who had been robbed. Low and behold, the items up for auction match many of those from their collection except for their son's brag vest. Some of the patches were from an event that their troop were the ONLY Maine representative at.

They have determined the name of the seller. That seller claims they are a long time scouter from this part of Maine and they had earned all these patches, but my records for this district goes back ten years and that person's name isn't on any of those lists (and some of these event patches only go back three or four years.

In the meantime, the detective assigned to the case hasn't made a move yet. As I post this, the auction is ending. The high bidder doesn't know this is potentially a stolen collection AND thanks to changes in eBay policy, there is no way to warn him/her of the fact. :(

By the time, Disgusta's finest does catch up with this person, the goods will be long gone and possible reauctioned in smaller lots. (sigh)