So, how big is your district?

Throwing in one more to this thread. I looked-up our other four districts out of curiosity:

York: 1,271 sq. mi.

Cumberland: 1,217 sq. mi.

Downeast: 1,846 sq. mi.

Abnaki: 2,672 sq. mi.

So, total those four up and you get 5,736 sq. mi. I hadn't realized my district covers more area then the other four combined. No wonder we rarely see anyone up this way from the council office in Portland other then our DE. Most of those districts have roughly the same number of units/youth as our own.

Thank you everyone so far for sharing your info.

Well,

I am the DE of the Casco Bay District of the Pine Tree Council. I guess that ends the secret part. The Casco Bay District serves about 3000 kids which is almost twice the number of kids served by the KV District. We will end this year with around 97 units which is about 22 over KV. From my home or office (they are only 4 miles apart) it takes an hour and a half to get to some of the more remote areas in my district, and there are a few. The thing you have to keep in mind is population. One third of the State of Maine's population resides within a one hour drive of Portland, Maine. I have estimated that approximately one quarter of the states populcation lives in my district. Portland is the Council Headquarters and by default the office where I work out of as the Portland is the largest City in the Council and District.

The KV District has some of the greatest fishing, hunting, rafting, camping and general outdoor opportuities in all of the Northeast US. I know. My wife and I are from Waterville which is one of the larger cities in the KV District. I have hunted and fished entensively in the KV district and would not mind being assigned to the area at some other time. Your current DE, Matt, is a great guy, as is your former DE and our new Council Field Director.

Today I talked with Matt about your District and one thing to note is that while there is a large area to cover, there are very large tracts of land in the KV district that are forest. Before joining the professional service, I used to travel 65,000 miles a year in Maine on business. Rangeley is my favorite area of the state. But I have fished the Belgrades, and many other bodies of water and I just love the fish we catch. It never hurts to have an uncle who is one of the better known fishermen in the State.

The State of Maine is larger than the other five states that make up New Endland. As a member of the professional service, I will be honest about what I think is amazing in Scouting Districts. No matter where they are or how large an area they cover, I am always amazed at how well the volunteers deliver the same program. Sure there are some slight regional differences, but it is amazing that a Scout or Scouter from California can interact with a Scout or Scouter from extereme rural Maine and never skip a beat. That says a lot about our volunteers and their understanding of the program.

Good Scouting!

Not so Secret DE

Well, since Pine Tree Council is so well represented on this thread I had to chime in for Hancock District in Katahdin Area Council. Our district is pretty much just our county...so yea Moxieman, I'll stop whining (well, maybe just reduce) about having to drive 1/2 hour to Roundtable each month. I know there are other Scouters in our district who drive an hour or more each way just to be there.

YiS

Michelle

I am the DE of the Casco Bay District of the Pine Tree Council. I guess that ends the secret part...and would not mind being assigned to the area (KV District) at some other time. Your current DE, Matt, is a great guy, as is your former DE and our new Council Field Director.

Careful what you wish for. (chuckle) Especially with gas as costly as it is. Yes, our current DE is a good guy and many here do miss our former DE, but know he hasn't forgotten KV District now that he's FD.

Today I talked with Matt about your District and one thing to note is that while there is a large area to cover, there are very large tracts of land in the KV district that are forest.

There are reasons I call it the "Maine Wilderness". :) Yet, our 2,000 youth nearly outsold your 3,000 youth in popcorn sales this year and our top selling youth (who went door-to-door) was #2 in the council with something like $7K in sales.

Nah, no cross-district rivalry here. :)

Glad to see I'm not the only person from PTC on here now.

• 1 month later...

Intresting topic. My council just re-organized districts here in Central KY.

Previously our district was 90+ miles end to end. (thats a conservative guess). The county I live in was grouped with 5 other counties. We'll have 3600 scouts and 110 units. The proximity is pretty close. And we'll have two DE's.

With that many units in realive close proximity, we should have better events and hopefully plenty of help at events.

Only time will tell.

Our district extends about 400 miles as the raven flies from Sitka, Alaska to Cordova Alaska the catch? Most of the communities are not connected to each other by road the only way to travel between them is by air or sea.

Round table meetings are held in Juneau with a phone conference connecting the outlaying cities.

District wide camporees with multiple communities do happen but not on a regular basis mostly we see each other at summer camp that is when our main O.A. ordeal happens as well

Business with the council office is mostly done by phone, email, or snail mail as it is 600 air miles away unless someone just happens to be headed that way on other business.

AK-Eagle

aka

Phillip Martin

Scoutmaster

Troop 700

Juneau AK

"This is the link to our Council map, our district (Golden West) is the tiny one in the middle. I don't understand how this Council got carved up this way, ancient population distribution patterns I guess. There are only 14 Boy Scout units, 5 or 6 are small LDS units, and 2x Cub Units, 1 Venturing Crew, and 1 Ship. The cool thing is the council office is about 2 miles from home."

Wow! That's a tiny district. I'm amazed that the council would pay a DE for a district that small. There must be something that they aren't saying. My old council as well as my new one are constantly carving up districts or merging them as populations change.

"Most of the communities are not connected to each other by road the only way to travel between them is by air or sea."

Living like that must be an adventure. I know that people around here complain about having to drive 10 minutes to get to the nearest shopping center.

Wow, had to do some figuring.

My district is the Old Baldy District of the California Inland Empire Council. We are made up of Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario and Montclair California. That's 114 square miles and a population of 417,000 people.

My council is huge, it covers all of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. 27455 square miles and only 3.8 million peeps. I takes over 4 hours to drive from one side to the other. We have over 40,000 youth registered at this time. Wow, toooooo big.