Exactly what power does a Scout Master have in

Plus with our number of scouts under 1,000 in the council (5 districts wide!), I know the council probably won't say anything against it!! Our council is one hurting for new scouts...

I personally cannot see them turning scouts like these away, but just thought I would ask!

I was in a very similar situation as a DE except the CC and CM were the 9 yo WEB II parents. A few things happened. First I had to sit down with parents and explain the advancement procedures since we didn't have a DAC at the time. Second when said parents ignored me and tried to join troop A, SM refused. Third when parents tried to join troop B, SM refused. Eventually they got the idea and waited until 10.

Now I'm told that the SCOUTNET computer system will catch those errors and kick them out.

For the first question, regarding SM's role in removing a problem scout from the unit, I would personally have a real problem with my committee if they tried to overrule our SM's decision on such a matter. If I didn't have faith in my SM to make those kinds of decisions, I would have my boys in a different troop. Ideally, of course, it would be best to have the SM in consultation with the CC and other people in leadership before taking such a drastic step.

For the second question, if this came up in our unit and if I were in charge, I think I would invite the boys to attend certain outings and meetings (perhaps not ALL activities, but enough to keep them interested) as Webelos guests until their birthdays. I would explain to them (and their parents) the BSA guidelines. I would also point out that it doesn't make any sense for a Scout troop to model "fudging" of the rules. But I would also try to make the boys welcome. They would wear their Webelos scarves and their blue loops until their birthdays, and they would not start working on their advancements (although they could continue earning Webelos pins if they like), but after they turn 10 I would formally accept them into the troop without hesitation. I might do it a little differently if the boys were behavioral problems (as even good 9 yr olds can often be).

Our troop frequently has Webelos visitors both at regular weekly meetings and on campouts, so this would be pretty natural for us, I think.

-Liz

You stated - "WE have Webelos 2 scouts that are 9 years old... They were started a year early at determination of there Den Leader."

Were they advanced a year in school? Or did the den leader simply accept them into the den a year early?

What age/grade/Cub Level did they start in the Pack at?

The BSA membership requirements on this point are extremely clear cut. Even with the AOL a boy must be at least 10 years old to join a troop.

The wants of the Den leader, the membership totals of your council, and the status of your DE have no sway over the BSA membership requirements.

Hello You Can Make A Difference,

Through experience, I have learned that a question like yours is a flashing red light and warning siren. Because if the SM and Committee agreed on the situation, you wouldn't need to ask the question. That suggests to me that:

1) The SM (perhaps that is you) wants to dismiss the boy

2) The Committee does not yet want to dismiss the boy

I don't believe that you'll find written anywhere in Boy Scout literature a concise "Procedure for expelling a Scout from yout Troop." It is painful and different in each case.

I can only suggest that the matter is best handled when there is some degree of consensus between the committee and the SM. And I do not want to suggest that the SM threaten, but the SM ultimately is responsible for what happens in meetings and outings. One approach is to have the SM say to the Committee "I am not comfortable participating in Scout activities with this boy present. I fear that if he continues to be a Troop member, I cannot function as Scoutmaster." Does the SM feel this strongly? Is the Committee willing to lose the SM in order to keep the boy? I have seem matters get this bad, particularly when the problem boy's parents are on the committee or are prominent in the community. The Committee doesn't want to take them on.

Hello annom 200:

The registration rules are exceedingly clear. Age 10, no exceptions. The rules were specifically put in place a few years ago to address pushy parents and boys who were too immature for some aspects of Scouting. There were also homeschooled boys where were "certified" as finishing 5th grade as early as age 7. The unit does not have the prerogative to waive these guidelines nor does the council. This is not saying that some units would not just do it, but they are going against specific National guidelines and doing it specifically in opposition to the reason that National put the guidelines in place.

• 3 months later...

After some review, the leader who gave us the information was inaccurate about the boys age, we found this out after talking with the parents directly. They were actually going on 10 in December. The mix up was the grade requirement.

One thing I have noticed is that National keep getting more discriminating towards the boys. I see this rule as discrimination.

Just like with there new Health and Medical forms, specifically the Height and weight requirements. Very discriminating indeed!

I know its already a HOT topic with most people concerning this but, don't you notice the discrimination this puts on people!!

What ever happened to the old days and the saying where scouts was for anyone? Now if your a little to big well you cannot do this and that with the scouts.

Getting scouts in our area already hurts and this new medical form will be like dropping a bomb on the scouting population in a lot of areas.

Just seems like National keeps putting more and more nonsense rules and regulations on scouts is run. I thought scouts was suppose to be about the boys and what they want to do!

Yes as you can see i am still a little hot under the skin about the new medical forms, well its about what are they going to do next. :)

Annom200

Even with "going on 10 in December", if they are still in 4th grade, the earliest they can earn AOL, and move into a Boy Scout Troop, is June.

No, I do not feel this discriminates against the boys. It is called age appropriate programing.

All problems for this issue fall squarely on the heads of the adults involved - NOT the BSA! If the den leader, and the Pack leadership, had followed the BSA rules, and not taken it upon themselves to rewrite the Cub Scout requirements, there would be no problem at all, for Scouts, Troop, or Council.