Liability insurance during an Eagle Project

I don't want to mess up the other thread on insurance with a legitimate question.

I just attended our local metropolitan district meeting and one of our scouts presented an Eagle scout project proposal to the board. They were very receptive to his proposal (replacing a shingle roof on a community picnic area). However, they asked about liability insurance. Caught him and me flat footed. I told him we needed to check with our council and get back to the board. I'll run it by my district office tomorrow. But in the mean time, does BSA insurance cover the scouts and volunteers during the execution of the project? My gut feeling says yes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Gern, the liability insurance applies. As Ed says, the supplementary health care coverage would be the unit's discretion in some areas, or automatic in others.

Your council can provide you with a certificate of insurance coverage or even name the metropark district as "additional insured" on the BSA coverage to make them feel all warm and fuzzy, eh?

But be careful about one thing... make sure that they don't really mean errors and omissions/liability as a construction contractor. In other words, makin' yeh liable if da roof falls down on somebody ten years from now. That's a more complex thing that your council would have to refer to Region.

Beavah

The metro district is only concerned about someone getting injured during the project and them being held liable. They are demanding that we show proof of this insurance and I assume my local office will be able to provide that documentation. They are not concerned about the liablity of the quality of construction. The job is a resurfacing of an existing roof. Not much chance to cause structural threats.

Since they are also a local government agency, they also require that we sign a statement declaring all workers be legal US citizens or registered aliens. Had to chuckle on that one. Not sure about our SM. And some of the scouts do seem to be from another planet.

Yah, it is a routine and ordinary task for a council to provide a certificate of insurance. It's also fairly ordinary for a council to list another organization or outfitter as "additional insured" to indemnify them.

Sometimes organizations specify coverage limits like $1M, $2M minimum, etc. That's fine, too. Just be aware that above a certain $ amount council has to refer it to Region. Not a big deal, just means a few days delay.

Beavah

Playing these kinds of insurance games just perpetuates the system. What would they say if the kid told them they were imposing too much governmental red tape and I'll go do my no-charge service for somebody else. Don't they understand that a teenage boy doesn't have insurance to protect the old lady he helps across the street??

Some projects proposed will possibly have to be scratched, or parts of them, due to high risk factors. The early evaluation of the details by the leadership is important in that regard. Years ago, we had a major church property project proposed which included trimming of some really large trees. We opted to not approve that portion, due to the high risk and specific skill concerns. The scout found a related, but less likely to have injuries type project for the same church. Just because insurance might can be obtained, we really need to be cautious in this regard.

"Since they are also a local government agency, they also require that we sign a statement declaring all workers be legal US citizens or registered aliens."

They're not workers, they're volunteers. If they were workers, they'd be subject to OSHA regulations, state and federal child labor laws as well.

Not that you shouldn't observe standard safety precaution or work them 80 hours week. That's what summer camp staffs are for.:)

SA

Yah, don't know what da rest of you are seein'. We're seein' more and more proof-of-insurance requests and odd bureaucratic stuff from government agencies, too.

I gotta admit I'm with FScouter and Scoutin' Again. There's a point where being officious should mean "well, gee, I can spend my volunteer time and free labor and materials elsewhere."

Beavah

In general, I also agree with Beavah, FScouter, and ScoutingAgain, but I also submit:

The adult who is watching over the Eagle Candidate needs to be listening for these kinds of "administrivia" minefields. He needs to help the young men determine if a project is worth continuing to develop!

There are lessons to be learned in a project which doesn't get to the point of host approvals and presentation to the District Advancement Committee.

Tell me about red tape. I have one scout who is 17, Asperger Syndrome, has been trying for a year with different agencies to get his project approved. They just won't commit. Rather disheartening for the lad. The more committees that need to review and approve, the less likelihood the project will move forward.

Hello Gern,

YOu probably know this, but if your Scout with Aspergers bumps up agsinst the age 18 deadline, it is possible based on disability to petition for additional time to finish. I particularly suspect that the petition would be favorably considered if he had been trying for a year to get the approval without success. If necessary, get the procedure for Scouts with disabilities.

We had to get the certificate's from district for 2 projects at the boy's middle school, and now for pavilion rentals in the city. I guess everyone is CYA anymore, no more responsability for your own actions.

YIS

Doug Buth

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a link to the BSA web site or a document that describes the coverage in detail? The city that owns the park where my son wants to do his project is asking for details.

I have done a search all over the BSA national site, and the best I can find is information about insurance if you are employed by the BSA or general comprehensive coverage for scouts and scouters, but nothing about friends, family or others who may participate as well as covering the city, etc.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steve.