Snapshot of Scouting Weekend of Oct. 26

I'm new to the forums, but last week ozemu started a thread about what the weekend in Scouting was like. Let's do it again.

Three other leaders and I took six scouts backpacking. Four of them strapped on their first backpack 1-3 days before we left. The plan was for 15 miles with one mile Friday from the car to the site, 8-10 on Saturday and the rest Sunday. A hard steady rain began just as dinner was getting over so we all turned in. The Scouts awoke at 4:30am ready to go. Still raining, but not real cold. We ate and packed up our gear. The first 8 miles was pretty good althoug the rain continued until we were almost done. We considered aborting the trip because two of our tents were soaked throughout. However, we met another troop having a regular campout so we hung out tents in their dining fly (thanks Troop 1984) Then our boys wanted to backpack some more so both troops joined forces for another three miles. After dinner we rejoind them for Cracker Barrel and tuned in around 10:30. The weather cooled drastically and we awoke to ice on the tents and ground. A quick breakfast, broke camp and hiked to the car. The boys got their first 15 miler in for their MB.

Hi raisenemright,

Congratulations, sounds like your guys had a lot of fun--even considering the rain and cold weather!

Our guys went backpacking and rappelling to Red River Gorge, KY. This included a climb up and a 217 foot rappel down the cliffs of Indian Staircase. They had a blast.

We had our second Pack meeting of the year yesterday. 6 of our 8 new Cub Scouts earned Bobcat so a new batch of families experienced the Glowing Bobcat Ceremony. Every den did something for the Pack meeting, the Den Chiefs led 2 sing-a-longs, we sang Happy Birthday to a Cub Scout Sister who turned 5 that same day. 1 parent came up to me after the meeting and said she almost had to leave the room because she teared up at seeing her painfully shy Webelos II son talk about Readyman in front of the Pack (with a little prodding from his Den Chief).

YiS

Michelle

My troop helped with our Council's Haunted Woods (a Cub Scout-oriented event that runs Friday and Saturday nights at a local Council camp).

On Thursday after school, I took several boys to the camp to set up our campsite (tents, dining fly, etc.)

On Friday afternoon, we went en masse. The boys unloaded wood for the campfires and constructed a 400-foot long rope maze through the woods, hung punch-out skeletons, tiki torches, etc.

For the Woods, they guided/scared/haunted people coming through the maze, which ended at our campfire where we read a variety of age-appropriate scary stories. This was a bit hit. Right after the event closed on Friday, the rain began. It continued all day Saturday, ending just before the activity geared up in the evening.

During the day, the boys went for a hike around the lake (in driving rain!), then worked on various Tenderfoot-1st Class requirements. After lunch we participated in a Troop Leader Training (TLT) session offered by another scoutmaster in camp.

All in all, a good weekend. The boys had fun, worked together, provided a valuable service to the Council, learned a lot, and can't wait to go back for the 4th time next year.

Boy, I wish I could figure out the lightweight part! Actually I didn't do too bad. I carried most of the heavy food for the patrol and the heaviest stove along with my full size Therma-rest. Some day I'll be able to afford the lightweight stuff.

We've got our University next weekend.

A bunch of my Cub Scouts went on our council's "Healthy Hike" and Chemistry Day at the local science museum, making the 1.5 mile hike in the cold and rain.

My oldest son, a Life Scout, worked 8.5 hours outside in the cold and damp (it eventually stopped raining) helping one of his buddies with his Eagle project along with about 10 other people. They'll continue next Saturday, when hopefully the weather will be better.

Elizabeth

Scouting free here too. October was just packed otherwise. We had council encampment the first weekend. We did family stuff kids and I cleaned house Sat AM went to a church fall festival in the afternoon and went to a play in the evening. Church service Sunday AM Soccer games in afternoon and they went to youth group in the evening. Troop is having a halloween thing tonite all the boys wearing costumes should be scary.

"...Right after the event closed on Friday, the rain began. It continued all day Saturday, ending just before the activity geared up in the evening..."

They should always bring at least one Scout with the Weather merit badge. If it rains, they blame him...

We had our Pack Fall camping trip. Despite it raining Friday into Saturday afternoon the Scouts had fun fishing and just playing in the rain. We took hike when the rain settled down.

Saturday night we were invited to campfire of local Boy Scout Troop and another local Pack who happened to be camping the same weekend. It was one of the better campfires.

The thing I will remember the rest of my life is on Saturday afternoon while I was hanging in the back porch of the lodge with the other Leaders and the Scouts were playing games and having fun a new Bear Scout came up to me with eyes the size of saucers and pointing to his throat. I saw him earlier with an ice cube he was sucking on. I went to hit him on the back and said no to myself I need to use the Heimlich maneuver. One short thrust and the ice cube went shooting out his mouth. He grabbed in throat in pain and I asked him if he could breathe. He nodded yes and I brought him to father.

Thinking back I am amazed how calm he was and how naturally I responded. It was like I was on autopilot. Later I told the Scout the fact that he pointed to his throat I knew exactly what the problem was and what I needed to do. Hopefully he learned a lesson and wont suck on ice anymore.

We did Scouting for Food pickup. This is a local benefit for Second Harvest. Last weekend the troop placed over 1200 flyers and bags on doors requesting non perishables to be left on the door step.

We collected 4 pickup loads of food for Second Harvest. One of our largest collections and the scouts worked 9 service hours. A scout is Helpful in action.

yis

redfeather and the scouts of Troop 216

Took the pack camping to Morro Bay State Park. The group camp is isolated from all the RVs in the main camp, lots of space, some nice hiking trails, nice weather....wait...forecasts said that. What really happened was a nice steady rain. So we rigged up some tarp shelters, made coffee and cocoa, and still managed to have a great time...even the first time campers (there were a few). Sunday morning we hiked up 611' Black Hill. Pointed out poison oak, tip-toed around trail scat, heard wild animals rustle the brush (was that a growl?), then reached the top for a 360 view of the whole area. Only about a third of the pack went on the trip though. One family went home ill. One family stayed for the day, but they don't camp, plus about 3 or 4 families who had signed up were no-shows. Their loss, everyone who went left with a smile on their face.

We helped out on another Eagle project last weekend. A concrete slab - we mixed 80+ bags of redimix. It was fun seeing those 16 and 17 year olds working side by side with the 11 year olds. That's some real world experience - leveling, framing, rebar, mixing, pouring, finishing - that a lot of these kids would not get anywhere else.