Troop open house - game

My small group of boys met tonight to finalize plans for our open house/COH next Monday. They had no problem figuring out what to do, with the exception of what game to run that would work for Webelos and Boys Scouts, together. I thought there might be some quick comments that would be something that exudes Boy Scouting for these senior Cubs that will further encourage them to continue past their AOL, and put on the red tabs.

Thanks, Mea... I was hoping for something beyond Cubs, and you reminded me of the VLSC from my daughters Venture crew. Perfect! A good means for all of these kids to become one, for that activity, and perhaps in a few months, a part of a troop.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but...

Last night our troop meeting was unexpectedly visited by a local Webelos den. (I think there was some communication at the adult level, but I don't think the Scouts were briefed.) The plan had been to work on first aid bandages, then do a bandaging relay. So, the Webelos Scouts were provided the same instruction as our younger Scouts, by the older Scouts. I'm not sure if the bandaging relay ever came off, but for the last 15 or 20 minutes the boys played Steal the Bacon. The Scouts were divided into 2 teams, and the visiting Webelos were distributed among the 2 teams, paired off against each other. By all appearances, a good time was had by all. My son, a normally cynical 14 year old, reported afterwards that the Webelos were a good group. Apparently, word is that of the 6 visitors, 5 or 6 will definitely be joining us next spring, and my son, who will be Troop Guide, is pleased with these "prospects."

I think that the moral is, just include the Webelos, make them feel like they're part of the troop already.

Yes, as Eagle said... Be sure to include the visitors in everything you possibly can. last week we had 8 boys from a pack across town come visit. Most said they were interested in our troop. Parents commented that we were the only troop that actively included the boys and made them feel welcome. All we did was let them participate in learning out to set up a camp stove.. and let them help mix the brownies we cooked in the Dutch ovens..

or maybe it was just that food always wins boys.

But every parent that was there commented on the fact that our boys included them and made them feel welcome.

Aha! (light bulb comes on)

I forgot that part. The Scoutmaster brought a large plastic bag filled with those individual size bags of potato chips, Fritos, Doritos, etc. Apparently these were left over from a recent Scout activity; Webelos Woods or something. I believe these were distributed as "prizes" for demonstrating bandages, and everyone ended up with some, including the Webelos, of course.

As Scouter&mom says "maybe it was just that food always wins boys."