Snapshot of Scouting this weekend

This weekend is JOTA/JOTI. We always run a camp on this weekend and have activities for those of us who can't sit still for long. I thought it would be interesting to see what other Scouts are doing this weekend.

What Scouting activity did you get involved with this weekend?

I'm just about to show some Scouts how to ferry glide so am putting the canoe on the car as soon as I've had my coffee.

Have a great day whatever you are up to.

This weekend is our University of Scouting weekend. Just returned from being on the team that did SM/ASM specifics all day class for 14 dedicated SM/ASM that wanted to be trained leaders for the boys sake. It's a lot more fun to take dutch oven cooking with samples provided. My son ate very well at the outdoor cooking class in between his annual program planning and trail to Eagle classes and I hope learned a thing or two to bring back to the troop in keeping scouting green and patch collection classes. Tomorrow we will stop in at the local Ham radio club where one of the other ASM's in our troop will be manning the afternoon shift for JOTA before the 2:30 soccer game.

I participated in an Eagle project this morning. Have known this fellow since he joined the troop in 2001 and have witnessed the many bumps and twists along his path. He has grown to become a fine young man and I am glad to have shared his Scouting experience.

This morning I served as an Archery Merit Badge Counselor for our Shooting Sports Merit Badge Make-up day. This is an opportunity for Scouts who failed to complete the range portions of the shooting sports merit badges at camp to make another attempt at qualifying.

Three of the seven boys who attended were able to score the required 170 points in 6 ends of 5 arrows using a compound bow. Some of the others came close. I tried to coach several, but they were unsure of their shooting skills and did a lot of practice rounds, and ran out of time, before they had to depart camp for another obligation. I gave them my number, so they can contact me for future opportunities.

Then I drove to the farm where my (temporary) Tiger den was having their first Go and See It. There were chickens and turkeys and llamas and peacocks and miniature horses and donkeys and sheep; a hay ride; a pick your own pumpkin patch. Oh my!!

Last week I also served as an archery range officer, for a very different group of archers. Our district which serves special needs scouts also has a number of Learning for Life groups in special ed classrooms in the council. Twice a year they run an outdoor field day for kids from those groups. Some were physically or developmentally disabled (or a combination); there were also groups from EBD (emotional/behaviorial) classrooms. Sometimes it takes a lot for them to pay attention long enough to loose an arrow. Safety is also a real consideration - they don't keep real good control over the bow. But when they hit the target - wow! is that a feeling!

Saturday was our Council's Day of Training. I attended Boy Scout Leader Specific training. Since I'm a Webelos II leader I still wear blue tabs, and so I was asked repeatedly if I was in the right class. I was also informed the IOLS portion of SM/ASM training was "planned" for the same weekend as our District Webelos/Boy Scout campout. Can I be two places at once?

Sunday was spent doing pack busy work: getting a few Pack Meeting items together and last second planning, trying to collect Popcorn orders and money.

Our Troop went to Dist Camporee this weekend.

Our Pack had popcorn booth sales Friday evening, Saturday during the day, Saturday after evening mass, and after all masses (8,10,12,1:30) on Sunday. (One more weekend of booth sales YEA!!!)

Saturday morning my Tiger den made spiders for our Spider Cemetery section of our Pack Haunted House.

Some of our Cub and Boy Scouts participated in the annual Crop Walk on Sunday.

Did a family campout with our Pack at the local Cub Camp. We fed approximately 192 scouts, parents and siblings their breakfast, lunch and dinner, had a wonderful afternoon of den activities/achievements, a magnificent evening program with skits, fun and laughter and a beautiful Sunday Morning service with the sunlight streaming through the trees.

We are tired but we are hearty, and we did it all for the boys.

Webelos Woods weekend at Camp Arrowhead.

Webelos arrive for an overnight with the appropriate parental support of course. And are sponsored by a Troop who assist with their campsite and evening meal and Campfire/Cracker barrel. Then Breakfast and on to a day of Scouts teaching Webelos requirements for the AoL.

Parents get to see scouts from various troops, see how much adult intervention takes place in the classes and evaluate which Troops their boys might do best in. And which Troops cared enough to provide classes and or Sponsor campsites.

I was so proud of the ENTIRELY BOY-LED campfire program... I had to walk away from the smoke tearing me up. First time event, sniff, sniff. Plus we received many good reviews of our training programs(First aid/Safety topics) from parents who were wondering how far they were from us. The Scouts done good!

We had our pack meeting Friday night, following the Down on the Farm theme. We visited the small farm of one of our den leaders. The boys learned about and got to pet goats, a miniature horse, ducks, and see a bee hive. Lots of hands on stuff (tasting goat cheese, and honey straight from the hive). The Wolves did a joke skit, and the Tigers led us in a rousing rendition of "Old MacDonald". Man, a pack meeting just doesn't get any better than that.

Saturday was also our University of Scouting, and I taught CPR and First Aid to a group of about a dozen leaders and older scouts. Everyone passed the written exam and will get their certification cards from the Red Cross.

Sunday was more of a family time, we carved the pumpkins we had picked last weekend. Hmmm... might be able to work that into a Bear achievement or elective somewhere, right? ;)

We had a great time at our district's Cuboree, held at our council's Cub World camp. Over 20 boys from our pack came out for the activities, with about 15 of them camping for one or both nights. The weather was sunny and low-80s, and the boys had a blast.

I'm especially proud of the fact that several of the Cubs out there were camping for the very first time. That's what makes it worthwhile.