You brought up something interesting, and I''m going to have to look into it.

As a Veteran, I served in the wrong places at the wrong times (Germany in the 80s). FDA considers me a risk for carrying variant Creuzfeld-Jakob''s Disease (aka mad cow), so I am permanently deferred as a blood donor.

I''m treated the same as a gay person... out of the pool.

I wonder if the same restrictions apply to organ donations, and if so, to which organs?

Our Webelos II den did this a few years back. They handed out pamphlets on organ donor awareness at one of the Pack meetings, including information on how to become an organ donor in Massachusetts. They also discussed the need for organ donors at one of their den meetings.

http://www.usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/donor.asp has information on the Scouting program.

http://www.miraclesforlife.org/registertodonate.htm - you can find out the information specific to your state here. In Massachusetts, you check a box when you renew your driver''s license. Very easy. :)

Worth doing all around.

YIS,

Marietta

P.S. I looked into "Who can be an organ donor" - MetLife has this to say. "Everyone can become a potential organ and tissue donor. Your age or medical history does not determine whether your organs can be used; rather, its the condition of your organs and tissues at the time of your death that are the determining factor. Even when the organs are not viable for transplantation, some families choose to donate for medical research to help find cures for illness and disease.

Most religions support organ donation. If youre unsure about your religions stand on the issue, speak to your religious or spiritual leader."(This message has been edited by mschwartz)

I am glad that so many have already responded to this topic. I was trying to see if this program was still known. It was a National Good Turn in 1986 and since then the need for this program has grown tremendously, but unfortunaty it has not been utilized. I work for an Organ Procurement Organization as a Placement Coordinator, which means I am the one who makes the offers for organs to the surgeons and facilitates the evaluation as well as the recovery for these organs. I am trying to get this program off the ground again as the need for organ donors has increased in numbers that is fast becoming unmanageable. There are currently more than 90,000 people waiting for over 100,000 organs today. The need is great and the help that the BSA can provide is great. I will post more information as I complete this task and will answer any questions that you may have. Thanks to all for helping.

Yours in Scouting,

Kenn

Troop 525 Tracy, CA

John, you would be eligible to donate organs. The restrictions for organ donation are quite different from blood donation. The donatable organs are...heart, lungs, liver (which can be split into two pieces), kidneys, pancreas and small bowel as well as over 100 different tissues. We evaluate each person/potential donor on their own merits before making any decisions about whether or not they can become donors.

Kenn

I still have several donor awareness BSA patches from the early 90''s. At the time we didn''t really cover this in the troop. I wish now that we had. In 1998 I went into renal (kidney) failure. In 2000 I was blessed to receive a kidney from a teenage boy who was killed in an accident. Dialysis takes a terrible toll on one''s body and I wouldn''t have been around much longer.

PLEASE consider being an organ donor - you CAN save lives.