Cell Phones and Scouting

I''m posting from outside the USA and may be unaware of strict national guidelines you already follow on this issue, but - what do you do about cell phones? Do you allow them on hikes and camps? At normal meeting nights?

If they are allowed, what rules apply? Silenced or off at certain times?

What do you say to the mother who insists her darling has one so he can contact her if anything is worrying him?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In outdoor settings we request that all electronics be left at home or in vehicles (adults cell phones excluded for emergency use, but I like ''em turned off or on silent mode).

I''ve always allowed an exception to the no electronics rule for plasma TV''s larger than 50", provided I also have control of the remote. So far no one has exercised the option.

We do not allow electronics on campouts either. Adults have them for emergencies, etc.

The one time I know of we needed a cell phone when we had scout sleding and one ran into a tree, the cell was out of range. We observed the kid for about 30 mins and then it was decided the he would be taken off the mountain. Once they were in cell range they called the kids parents, meet up and the parents took kid to ER. Locally no major damage, kid spent 36 hours in hospital do to concussion and slight brain bruising. Also luckily kids mother was very involved in the Troop and was very understanding and was not upset.

Ok I got off topic with that example... our Troop asks they don''t bring them thats my answer :p

My Wacky 2 cents

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

hasn''t been a problem so far. They use the phones as phones at the end of camp. Don''t actually see them being used on camp or at night. Program is generally too busy and dirty. They don''t want them wrecked I think. If the electronics are really important I think they are not turned on to Scouting and are not in the Troop.

But we retained a lot of our Scouts through to 15 HiLo and I think they had well and truly ''gotten it'' by then. Their example to the younger Scouts was what we adults say - leave it at home for safety of the item and get involved in the doing of things.

Actually we used phones a few times to SMS the Grid Ref at hourly intervals in Patrol hikes. I supervised from my dining room table and followed their progress on the maps. Worked really well a few times over - actually forced them to have breaks and check the nav which was my ulterior motive.

PSP''s etc I would ask to be left at home if I found one. I know they cost a heap and would want them safe. If used they would defeat the purpose too wouldn''t they. I think the parents get that.

hot_foot_eagle - I love your idea for the 50" TV. Might try that approach.

Our biggest challenge has been with younger kids, 10 or 11, on their first camps, where Mummy has wanted little Johnnie to have his phone so he could contact her when he got homesick.

I guess it''s just another example of the troublesome parent. Not sure how many of you have encountered that before. ;-)

I can see the value at times of the more advanced stuff with GPS tools, etc, but even that I''d like to see used in moderation. After all, when I was young...............

Recently, a group of scouts and leaders were delayed in coming out of a hike through a national forest in North Carolina when the trail they were following turned out not to be the trail they should have been on. Sounds like that perfect "Ah Hah" moment for a non-participating parent to strike and insist that this is why their precious child should have a cell phone. Except, the adults did have cell phones - and they didn''t work because the weren''t in range of a cell phone tower - and that''s as it should be in the woods.

Cell phones should stay home - or be turned over to a leader to hold during outings. At meetings, cell phones should be turned off during the meeting - the lad can turn it back on after the meeting to call mom to pick him up. Truth be told, it isn''t the lad that needs the cell phone in case something is "worrying him" - its the mother who has made the cell phone a virtual umbilical cord and can''t bear the thought of her son not being within a moments notice when something is worrying her.

I have a number of acquaintences who teach at the college level - the stories they tell of college students calling daddy about a grade they got on a test while class is in session simply astound me - one of my friends had a student call daddy about a test grade and then hand the phone to him (the teacher) so daddy could talk about the situation - good thing my friend is tenured cause that girl needed a new phone when it "accidently slipped out of his hands and he stepped on it."

One of the best reasons for being a Scout is to learn how to be an independent, thinking, self-sufficient adult. A cell phone tether to mommy doesn''t help this process.

Calico

Hey HiLo,

We allow our adult leaders to carry cell phones at Troop meetings and at campouts and enroute to long-distance campouts in case someone gets lost or injured along the way.

We normally don''t allow younger scouts to use cell phones or other electronic items at scout functions. But, in December of each year, we conduct a Troop electronics weekend winter campout where scouts/scouters are permitted to bring any and all types of electronic items they can carry to the campout at a local Council indoor cabin "campout". Examples of items brought are televisions, gameboxes or equivalent, microwave ovens, electric guitars, and other interesting items.

This is the only Troop activity of the year where the boys can use their latest and greatest electronic toys--and they do have fun. They are also permitted and encouraged to eat pizza all weekend long if they wish in honor of the pizza-loving scout who originated the idea years ago.

"Except, the adults did have cell phones - and they didn''t work because the weren''t in range of a cell phone tower - and that''s as it should be in the woods."

The other thing I''ve noticed lately is a tendancy of some folks to think that cell phone possession is an adequate substitute for knowing basic life saving procedures and first aid and having a first aid kit available (not in Scouts per se, but more in the general public). This is a good example of why relying on your cell phone alone in an emergency situation is always a bad idea.

In our troop anyone can carry a cell phone - we use them during the vehicle portion for road delays, detour notification for trailing vehicles, lead vehicle off the route(oops! I just passed the turn - I''ll turn around and catch up), We are at the rally point - where are you? etc. coordination.

But it''s the Scouts responsibility to keep it safe, with them, or their pack, and OFF once we hit our feet.

I concur cell phones are a tool not a crutch - same as GPS.

We also follow the "adults only" cell phone rule. But, in reality, it''s a don''t ask don''t tell. As long as I don''t see it or hear it, I don''t care. If I caught a scout using it during a campout (not in an emergency), I''d probably take it from him until the end of the event, just as I would an inappropriate knife or other item.

I''ve had two bad experiences with scouts and cell phones at Summer Camp. The first was when some parent''s sent a boy who had a "high homesick risk" and allowed him to take his cell phone. They told him to not let me see it, and call them if he needed anything. Well, he tried to sneak off and use it, only to find out that there wasn''t any coverage at our camp. He then had a major meltdown. We barely were able to keep him there through the week, and he ended up dropping out later.

The second was an older scout that always liks to defy me. He brought his out of spite - he knew he couldn''t use it there because of the signal. He accidentally left his daypack at the rifle range one day and never saw it (or the cell phone) again. Of course, knowing he wasn''t supposed to have a cell phone, he didn''t tell us about that it had that in it. I assumed it was just filled with the typical summer camp stuff. We tried to find it, but it never turned up. If I had known it had a cell phone, I would have made a bigger deal of it. The ironic thing was that the parents sent a nasty letter to the council criticizing me and the camp for it.

Some of our Scouts have brought cell phones camping. So far the rule has been that the phones stay out of sight (in a backpack or in the tent) except if used to call parents for pick-ups afterwards. I''ve heard rings/beeps from inside a tent, but that doesn''t really bother me so long as the Scout is particating in the program and not just sitting inside the tent on the phone. If I see/hear a cell phone outside I''ll put it in my truck for the remainder of the activity. The Scouts have done well by this policy ... so far.

I see Scouting in terms of "cans", we can backpack, we can rock climb, we can whitewater raft, we can canoe, we can survive on only what you can bring in a shoebox for the weekend, we can have fun rather than "can''ts",

You can''t bring a cellphone, you can''t bring an Ipod, you can''t have a BOR without a uniform, you can''t do anything the adults think will distract you from the experience they want you to have.

If part of scouting is teaching youth to make decisions, having them decide what to bring on events would seem to be a natural. If during your events you find scouts more interested in electronics and phones that the scheduled activity, then the answer may be in upgrading the activity, not banning items. The country tried Prohibition, it didnt work.