Could You Give Up TV?

We turned off the cable in April. It was costing too much for what we were getting (cartoons). We replaced it with a subscription to Netflix. The kids never complained. They got out of the house more, and we have seen a ton of movies we always wanted to see (e.g., Follow Me Boys.)

I haven''t had cable TV since 1993 and I didn''t have a TV at all from 1994-2000. I didn''t miss it at all. In the fall of 2000, I got my own place for the first time (meaning no roommates, as I hadn''t lived at Mom and Dad''s since the early 90''s). Mom and Dad thought I would be lonely, so they showed up at my place one day with a TV and VCR. I''ll watch it occasionally (really enjoy "Lost" in the winter), but I can go for a week without watching it and not miss it.

I am thankful as well for my Mom kicking me out of the house in the summer when I was a kid so I wouldn''t watch too much TV. It got me outside exploring, which I love to do to this day.

When I first joined the Scouts and was getting ready for my first camping trip, I was dismayed by having to miss my Saturday morning cartoons. That weekend really changed my perspective. I had so much fun that weekend, the next Saturday I skipped out on cartoons to go play outside and dragged a friend of mine hiking in the woods by our houses. Oh, the miracles of Scouting.

The only shows I watch are Eureka and Dr. Who - and I could live without those (I usually end up watching them as recordings anyway).

DH and my oldest? Not in a million years!! I''ve tried asking them to limit it and it just doesn''t work. Of course, oldest isn''t watching right now because of his grades and, yes, I do believe there is a direct correlation - especially since youngest is in AP classes and gives the box up regularly in order to do homework.

Vicki

I had a computer teacher in college that took every tv out of the house, even out of their cabin. He said it was amazing the time the found and the changes in his kids. He did say he had his laptop setup for tv, for news and that kind of thing. Not sure how far he actually took it. I do think it could be an interesting experiment, a challenge, live without tv for 30 days.

Anyway just thinking wacky thoughts after midnight ;)

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time

When I was young, we had no cable. It didn''t get to my parents'' house until 1992. We got 8 channels on a regular basis, and on a clear night, another 4 or 5. When I moved away from home for good, I didn''t bother with cable. I lived in the city and got the networks, pbs, and an independant channel or two. Plenty of viewing options. I moved out of the city and was reduced to 4 channels, but I had an active social life and a library card, so it was all good.

Then the politicians in DC started playing games with the budget. They couldn''t agree and refused to pay for anything. There were massive federal government layoffs. Thousands of government workers were told not to go to work because there was no money for their paycheck...it lasted a WHOLE WEEK. My husband sat at home for one day with our 4 TV channels and put in an emergancy call to the cable company.

IT''S A GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU!!! THEY ARE BEING PAID OFF BY THE CABLE INDUSTRY!!

(lol)

I could easily go without TV (SAttelite) but my wife wants to keep it so I continue to waste my $57 a month for direct tv. The digital cable radio is nice but there is so littel I watch especially since the big networks began to buy the independant cable channels adn dumb down the viewing, kill the variety and put reeality garbage everywhere. I am a motorsports buff and even Speed TV has been filled with garbage programing so I don''t watch it any more. I truely am too busy to sit and watch TV, I would rather listen to football or hockey on the radio while I am doing other things.

Truth be known, my kids hardly watch sattelite either although playstation and X box can be another story. What we do though is watch VHS and DVD of movies we liked well enough to purchase but only a couple hours a week at best.