Changes to district boundaries = changes to recruiting plan?

I''m sure this is a fairly common issue, and I seek the experience of the forum.

Our council has decided to redraw district boundaries, effective January 1st. Under the new plan, one of the 3 packs from which our troop has traditional recruited will be placed in a different district from our troop. Must we now forego recruiting from this pack? If we are directed to stop recruiting from this pack by the new district, how do we respond?

Thanks!

Trev - We have been undergoing that exact change over the last 18 months. First, the problem isn''t going to be YOUR new district telling you to stop recruiting from a pack on the other side of the line. Your new district membership committee (such as there is one) probably won''t care where your scouts come from, as long as you get more of them! On the contrary, it will be the pack''s new district that might object (though it would be short-sighted).

Second, even if they do object, they cannot really stop you from doing it, or stop those pack families from joining your troop if they want to. So it might be worth a little push-back if such an attempt is made to break up your good relationship with the pack.

What this might do though, is renew ties among communities and units that are in your newly defined district. That''s what happened for us, at least, since our re-districting brought about a change in the identity of some of our more peripheral units. Instead of being seen as "way out yonder" and far from the action at the center of our old (geographically sprawling) district, they became a more important part of a more sensible and tightly focused (geographically speaking) district.

Good luck with the redistricting and don''t let the inevitable moaning and groaning that goes with change get to you.

Trev,

Been through this several times. The reality of the situation is the boundary lines may change but the actual location of the units remains the same. The same unit which was most desirable before remains the most desirable now. The boys tend to remain in the program longer if they are where they want to be. Do not let bureaucracy stand in the way of delivering the best program to the youth you serve. 

LongHaul

I would agree with Mr Robertson, except I'll bet the new District will try to re-align relationships.

Time for the Pack and Troop CORs to make a simple comment to Council: Put us in the same District.

If not, they should raise a stink at Council Executive Board meetings, asking Who''s the certifiable idiot?

I don't like to use scathing public sarcasm, at it violates the general rule of praise in public, damn in private. Sometimes, though, it's a necessary tool in the box.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)