I have been an adult leader for 8 years, 4 as we started our pack and now finishing my fourth and last year as SM. Both my sons will make Eagle this year. I think my favorite memories are when I look at the trophies they won in the pinewood derbies (and no I did not do all the work on the cars, only the wheels). Then i think of the times I see the boys looking at their compasses with a topigraphical map figuring the best way to get to all the stations, or canoeing through the Suwanee River with the gators. It is hard to pick just one, the memories just keep coming. Am not leaving scouts, will work with the OA we need the help in our district.

God Bless to All

Brian

At our Council Webeloree at Chawanakee last September my son woke me up at 5:30am for the 6am adventure hike. I could still taste the previous night''s Raviolis, was nauseaus and I wanted to take some alka-seltzer and go back to bed. But I crawled out of my sack, laced up my hiking boots and followed my son and the stream of other sleepy hikers to the trailhead. The full moon was hovering in the western sky and lit our trail to Shaver Lake. Fog formed off the lake and rose into the icy air. My son was yakking to any sleep-eyed kid who would listen. I told him to talk less, and listen to the sounds of nature. But I doubt anything could be heard over my huffing-and-puffing, as I dragged my fat butt up Heart Attack Hill.

My son''s favorite time was a Tri-District Webelos-Boy Scout Camp event called Webelos Awareness. His future troop was the main host for the event, and he made friends with a bunch of the boys, learned a few new scoutcraft skills, and campfire songs in a driving rain. What he doesn''t remember is what he slept through: Our camp was on an exposed hilltop, and a breezy day had compromised the integrity of our budget-brand tent. With every wind gust the tent would practically collapse on us. Three times I braved the storm to shore up whatever structure I could out of our pathetic tent. My normally light-sleeping son had no clue how close I was to dragging us to the safety of our car.

I love when I''m running an archery range, and a Cub Scout who comes in all eager, but not very competent, responds to coaching and improves his technique. There''s that look of wonder and delight on his face when he "gets it" and the arrow hits the target, or even better the 10 ring. Just gets me every time.

We were in transit on a long out-of-state trip. This morning we were having a quick breakfast at a Burger King. They boys were having fun, and the scene was as if we had just slopped the hogs. They were tossing tater tots at each other and sticking straws up their noses to squirt drinks...you get the idea.

At another table two girls about the same age were having breakfast with their mothers. I noticed that they were in rapt attention to the boys. In uniform, I went over and sat with them. The mothers smiled at me...sickly. They were polite but I sensed disapproval, perhaps disgust. I apologized for the boys and then turned to the girls. I said,

"I want you to think about this for a very long time....one of these days not very many years from now, you're probably going to marry one of those."

The two moms nearly snorted coffee out their noses and the girls sat in stunned, silent shock.

I bid them good morning and left, smiling.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

My family was in transit, driving to NY. We were in PA, stopped at a favorite place for fuel and food. My son and I were in the restroom. He was 10, about to finish Webelos. Above the restroom sink was a row of dispensers with a large variety of products, most of which were marked as having tropical colors (or flavors in some cases). My son was intrigued.

He asked me what they were and, having already explained the facts of life to him a while back, I decided to tell him. In one short sentence I told him what they were, how they were used, and why someone would use them.

He stood there for a long silent moment. Then he said, "Ooohhh mmmmmyyyyy gggodddddd."

A few quarters could have produced a quick condom, but there are some things that money can''t buy. ;)