What foods are considered a delicacy in your area?

This talk about food as gotten me hungery, so I thought that I would spin off a thread about what Scouters think about a lot .... FOOD :)

In HiLo's land (Australia), he has TimTam's as well as Vegimite. (Both very good).

In my area we have Maryland Steamed Crabs and Berger Cookies ( http://dcist.com/2006/11/20/charm_city_supe.php )(I believe that the Berger cookies are far better than the TimTam's....you can get them in the US ) :)

What foods are considered a delicacy in your area?

(Still learning this spun thread thing) :((This message has been edited by OldGrayOwl)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I visited in Florida a while back, I had to smile and shake my head when I saw signs touting ""Maryland Fried Chicken"". Tasted just like the ""Southern Fried "" we had back home... in Maryland!

Eyah... Blue Crabs wid a touch of Old Bay Spice... or Jo Jo's ...

Don't over fish'em.

OK, I'll bite.

I had to ask myself what do I really miss after being away from Chicago for a while...

The answer came to me immediately. The "Italian Beef' Sandwhich. For those of you who may be uninitiated in this local delicacy here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Beef

These things are pure heaven to me. I've gotta go now my cardiologist is calling.

Ken

Here in Central New York we have Salt Potatoes.

These are small new (3 dia. or less) brown-skinned potatoes boiled, with the skin on, in very salty water (1 lb salt per 4 lbs potatoes).

Cooked until very tender.

They are dipped them in drawn butter while eating.

These originated in the early 1800s when the area was known for its salt production.

One of the processes to make salt was to heat a brine solution and boil off the water before setting it out to dry.

For a cheap lunch salt workers would throw these small potatoes in to the brine to cook.

They used these small potatoes as they were cheap as no one else wanted them.

Bluefish, rockfish (aka stripers), flounder, spot, croakers, Chesapeake Bay blue crabs, Lynnhaven oysters, Smithfield ham biscuits(sliced so thin you can see through it), Brunswick stew (cooked long and slow in an iron kettle over a wood fire), silver queen corn and tomatoes (fresh from the Eastern Shore), shad roe, softshell crabs, sweet tea, collard greens, ...

Oh man, am I hungry!

PS: I almost forgot...Carolina style pulled pork BBQ (vinegar sauce with hot pepper), and Hatteras style clam chowder (clear broth).(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Being from Maine and a Maine Native who can trace his roots heah to a time before the first white flatlandahs invaded these lands (I'm part Micmac), I'm sure people would expect me to say Maine Lobstah. But you're wrong. I, personally, don't like'em much and I'm allergic to shellfish (Shrimp is the worst for me, but others affect me also, just not as painfully. The last time I accidentally had shrimp...well, let's say if you took a 10 inch serrated blade, stabbed me in the gut, hooked it to a power drill and set it on max RPM for a few minutes, that would be less painful then what the shrimp does to me.). It's a good thing 'cause I wouldn't be able to feed the habit if I actually liked them. Most Native Mainahs only get to have lobstah as a treat 'cause it's too expensive. Hard to believe that roughly 150 or so years ago, it was considered a valueless garbage food and those who ate it were embarrassed to do so. Now it's something we sell to the tourists at outrageous prices (this time of year could be as high as $8-10/lb off the boat and higher in a seafood market and higher still at a restaurant) and quietly laugh behind their backs as they pay it.

Fiddleheads (ostrich ferns before they unfurl in the spring) lightly steamed with fresh butter, now there's a local favorite.

Fresh Maine Wild Blueberries straight off the bush on the side of most hiking trails this time of year.

Nearly any one of over 100 different heirloom varieties of apples you can find across the state at various apple farms, but not in your local supermarket. Can't start to describe some of these or how best to use'em. Some are great for snacking as it, others are better in pies, etc.

Poutine (I think that's the spelling, was never good at Acadian French)--french fries with gravy and cheese--is also a favorite up this way. Personally, leave the gravy off. Gravy is for turkey and mashed potatoes.

Moxie (of course)--you eithah like it or hate it. No in between. Maine's official soft drink and oldah then Coca-Cola (by two yeahs).

Ployes--Acadian buckwheat pancakes used up in the St. John Valley (far northern Maine) at most meals in place of bread. I like to make'em for breakfast (got to use cast iron and keep with tradition!) with a little cinnamon sugar sprinkled on'em.