How many books have Scouters(not the boys) read this year

In July, all 7 of the Harry Potter books (plus I've reread the last one in August.)

Several mysteries a month.

Currently working my way through Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam and a history of the French and Indian War.

A BS Field Book from the 1950s and a BS Handbook from the late 1940s.

I probably average 2-3 books a week.

Had to check my book bin last night...

so far this year...

5 books on First Aid (while mentoring two new scouts becoming first aid trainers)

6 books on Canoeing, kayaking and white water rescue (same excuse as above)

5 history books...(two general text books-now have two sons in college)

5 classic novels (For Whom The Bell Tolls, Tale of Two Cities The Wild Palms, The Sound And The Fury and Heart of Darkness again guys in college- gotta know my stuff at the dinner table ).

3 books on saltwater fly fishing

4 books on fresh water fishing- helping teach SM to fish.

3 books on camping (all out of date/out of print -used book store debris...really interesting)

7 books on fishing humor/life view point (John Gierach)

3 fantasy (JRRT-trilogy) actually an annual re-read

1 historical novel (Gods and Generals)

1 historical account (Marathon by A Lloyd)

3 philosopical works by A Camus- (one in french just to see if I could still do it...yes but badly...)

6 cook books -cover to cover if that is reading?

1 science (?) book on mollusks and seashells found in N.C.

7 science fiction ( Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The Past through Tomorrow, I Robot, Caves Of Steel, Time enough for Love and The Number Of The Beast

300 (over that actually) newspapers virtually cover to cover 'cept want ads....

no graphics or comics (cept newspaper funnies)

It helps to rent a beach house with no phone and no telly and very little night life...

Anarchist

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the "voracious readers" category - helps that I'm on the train for the better part of an hour twice a day! My husband has been known to accuse me of reading anything that will hold still long enough to be read, and he's probably right. Favorites are SF/fantasy and mysteries; also read "The Survival of the Bark Canoe" (John McPhee) while on vacation (that's a fabulous book, highly recommend it! In fact, anything by McPhee is great.).

Probably over a hundred, mostly F&SF. I re-read Asimov's Greater Foundation series (15 novels) during summer camp, in the revised order. I've also picked up quite a bit of Scouting history this year- West, Boyce, Seton, Beard, etc. I picked up all but the second edition Scout Handbooks and have skimmed through all of them.

Ed

I don't know if I can count that high.

I, too, am fortunate to be within 2 blocks of a great public library - and I visit it about once every 10 days. I read on my lunch hour (which has extended over an hour on occasion). Depending on the book, I'll finish between 3 and 5 days - some shorter, some longer. I also try and find time at home to read as well. I have been known to have 3 books "in progress" at the same time.

I read most genre. My favorites being Science Fiction and Historical Fiction, but mysteries, romance, and other types have been found in my hands.

In the last 30 days, I know I can name at least 10 books that I've read.

Great topic.

I would say I probably average about 50 books a year for pleasure reading. Mostly science fiction and fantasy. Authors tend to go in groups; lately it has been Orson Scott Card (getting around to all the other books he's done besides the Ender series), Sherri Tepper, and Sharon Shinn. I've got a stack of Tanya Huff up next.

And of course, the last Harry Potter book, which I had to wait for my son to finish first, since he now reads faster than I do. Sigh.

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read ANY books this year. I do read newspapers daily and news magazines weekly.

Oh I used to read all the time - books galore.

But, as I prefer to read in bed, my arms are not long enough now to go without those dreaded reading glasses, which are uncomfortable because I like to lay on my side while reading.

I've been meaning to read the new Harry Potter book, but it is too cumbersome to read in bed because of the pain and frailty of my wrists and fingers due to arthritis.

Summertime reading during my vacation at the beach? Well, I wasn't able to find any $10 drug store reading glasses that are also sunglasses. Besides, too many other distractions to pay attention to on the beach.

Then, of course, if I spend my time reading books I may miss the latest celebrity news, toy recall, or political scandal.

Let's see....can I come up with any more lame excuses to make myself feel better about the fact I haven't read a book this year?

I love reading but generally never have the time. It's unfortunate. I do listen to books on tape during my commute to and from work. Latest was the Gunslinger series (Stephen King). What a story that was. King is my favorite author. Just got a signed copy of The Stand and will re-read when I can.

Just finished READING "City of Bones" by Michael Connelly, had listend to a few of his on my MP3 player. Got a chance to read "Prey" by Michael Crichton - that man can write about anything.

Just started reading a book called "The Testament" by Eric Van Lustbader. Along the same lines as The Divinci Code.

W/ audio books it's about 40/year w/o audio books it's about 10.

I can't even begin to count how many books I have read this year. I hit the library at least once a week and get between 4-8 books each time. I read mainly at night before I go to bed.

Plus, I read to my 5 year old each night. Once she learns to read more, she will begin reading to me.

ccjj