How many books have Scouters(not the boys) read this year

Another thread posted an article that said that adults had read or half read 4 books annually. I have got to be at around 15 or so this year alone. How about you?

I'll allow for graphic novels(you know who you are) but no comic books. Magazines don't count either.

It is hard to say, but a quick mental review comes in around 50. I enjoy mystery novels. I'm totally addicted to Robert B. Parker's Spenser series. He is the best writer of dialogue around these days. I try to read something serious every other book. I'm currently reading Victory and Defeat (Five Forks to Appomattox) by the late Shelby Foote.

It helps that I am just four blocks from a good Public Library. Thank you Andrew Carnegie.

Reading is my main amusement read two to four books per week mostly science fiction by do my share of biographies, non-fiction, and mysteries. I heard about the competition between Carl Rove and President Bush as well. I make both my kids read an hour per day also. If you can read you can learn most anything. I am also a counselor for Reading MB.

The Voyageur by Grace Lee Nute research for my living hisotry charactor Pierre Aloyuius DuMonde

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (read this first many years ago, reread it every year before summer camp, gets my perspective properly shaped

Wicked by Gregory Maguire, sure its commercial, but its also fun!

and still working on Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant

I read that article - I was shocked. I started a Master's program in January so I'm a little bit off the pace, but I've probably read 40 books this year. Relaxation is science fiction and mystery. DH discovered three new SF authors whose names, of course, escape me at the moment. Now THAT was fun! Non-textbook, but not relaxation either - books about working with ADHD/autistic/differently abled children. Three guesses why that would be an interest for an ASM/MB counselor! Currently reading Eugene Peterson's "Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places."

I remember Kant from an independent study project I did on philosophy - "the starry heavens above and the moral law within" (inscribed on his tomb - I'll admit I had to look it up to get it right due to partial memory). Interesting that he and Buddhism have transcendental idealism in common.

My mom used to punish me by sending me to my room. Then she figured out that that really wasn't punishment if she let me take my book with me.

Vicki

Gosh, I don't know Gunny. I've never counted; maybe 3 a month on average I guess. I do find reading a lot more enjoyable than many other popular activities, like watching TV, playing golf, or - heaven forbid - watching golf on TV. Never could figure that one out.

I've just started The God Delusion by Dawkins. Just finished Red Lightning by Varley and before that Homeward Bound by Turtledove and a Joe Haldeman anthology before that.

Also a MB counselor for Reading. Never a very popular MB, unfortunately.

Only about ten so far this year. I'm a slow reader. Prefer sci-fi/fantasy and then alternate history fiction.

Occasionally, non-fiction. There's a new memoir out by our state wardens service's past chaplain, which I've seen the excerpt from and it sounds fascinating. I don't normally go for the "RL" stuff, but this caught my attention.

Let's see....I've read this year so far

Infectious Diseases by Deanna Grimes

Respiratory Disorders by Susan F. Wilson

Cardiovascular Disorders by Mary M. Canobbio

Back to Basics How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills - Reader Digest ISBN 0-89577-086-5 (OGE ya need to get a copy of this book...)

Residential Framing A Homebuilder's Construction Guide by William P. Spence

The Orkneyinga Saga

Now Reading Cooper's Last of the Mohicans, and The Deer Slayer

Geez, I haven't kept a count, but apparently I'm in pretty good company here. I read all the time. For a while I had a hard time keeping up with what my son was reading and at this point I've more or less given up on that! (He has more free time than I do.) The last time I moved, I remember almost regretting my love for books because the heaviest boxes were the book boxes, and there were a lot of them.

A few books I've read lately and would recommend:

**Orson Scott Card's "Ender" novels (I liked the first one - "Ender's Game" - and the one about Bean's childhood best)

**JK Rowling's "Harry Potter" (7th book, but I had to re-read the rest to get back "up to speed")

**Morgan Llywelyn "1916" (historical fiction about the Irish rebellion - very depressing but good reading)

**Orhan Pamuk's "Snow" and "My Name is Red" (set in Turkey - great reads! This man deserved the nobel prize.)

**Khaled Hosseini's "The Kite Runner" (fiction about a boy/family in Afghanistan and in refuge elsewhere, in the 1970s to 1990s)

**Hisham Matar's "In the Country of Men" (fictional account of a boy/family in Libya in the 1970s - a really excellent book, IMO, and I liked it better than "The Kite Runner" in terms of the impact of the revolution on people's lives)

**Edmund Morris' "Theodore Rex" (biography of Teddy Roosevelt - lots of fun to read)

**Tracy Campbell's "Deliver the Vote" (history of election fraud - don't assume it is a new phenomenon!)

**Sara Gruen's "Water for Elephants" (fictional account of circus life in the 1920s-30s. A lot of fun, quirky characters to enjoy)

Nathaniel Bumpo....

"The frame of the white man, judging by such parts as were not concealed by his clothes, was like that of one who had known hardships and exertion from his earliest youth.

His person, though muscular, was rather attenuated than full; but every nerve and muscle appeared strung and indurated by unremitted exposure and toil.

He wore a hunting-shirt of forest green, fringed with faded yellow,and a summer cap of skins which had been shorn of their fur. He also bore a knife in a girdle of wampum, like that which confined the scanty garments of the Indians, but no tomahawk. His moccasins were ornamented after the gay fashion of the natives, while the only part of his under-dress which appeared below the hunting-frock, was a pair of buckskin leggings that laced at the sides, and which were gatered above the kness with the sinews of a deer.

A pouch and horn comleted his personal accoutrements, though a rifle of great length which the theory of the more ingenious whites had taught them was the most dangerous of all fire-arms, leaned against a neighboring sapling.

The eye of the hunter, or scout, whichever he might be, was small, quick, keen, and restless, roving while he spoke, on every side of him, as if in quest of game, or distrusting the sudden approach of some lurking enemy.

Notwithwtanding these symtoms of habitual suspcion, his countenace was not only without guile, but at the moment at which he is introduce, it was charged with the expression of sturdy honesty."

James Fenimore Cooper - The Last of the Mohicans