District taking camporee away from troop

There seems to be multiple issues occuring in this thread. I would like to address the issue of a unit hosting a district camporee.

Unit leaders do not have the experience, training or time to run a district event. It is wrong for a district to place the burdon on one troop like that. How in the world does a unit make up a event budget and request checks from council to pay for campree materials and services?

Unit leaders need to focus on their unit's program and not on the district's. Also, scheduling conflicts between the district and council should not be handled by a unit. I personally do not see a conflict between running a camporee and a woodbadge course at the same time.

District leaders who are passing their responsibilities onto the units need to be removed at the next business meeting. Get enough COR's together and you can do it.

In the District I serve, the Fall Camporee has always (last 10 years) been run by a Troop. We sorta take turns and work along with the DE (when we have one) to draw up a budget and get checks lined up. One of the interesting advantges to posting here is to see how other people do things, AvidSM doesnt know why a troop would host a Camporee and I havent seen it done any other way. Now, when I say a Troop hosts the Disitrct Camporee, it picks the date and location and establishes a theme and then requests go out to other troops to help staff stations or what ever is needed. For the upcomming Fall Camporee another Troop is hosting it (The Troop I serve hosted it last year)and I have already been tapped as a Hobo Stew Taster/Judge and will also be judging the Saturday night Campfire SKits. (Bonus points to any skit I havent seen before)

Our camporees are organized by our Distict OA Chapter. It seems to me that having youth and advisors from several units and district plan the camporee would likely result in fewer conflicts and produce higher quality event than one planned by a single unit.

Our council, districts, and OA lodge do a pretty good job of avoiding conflicts with each other. What they don't do is avoid scheduling their activities, camporees or otherwise, on three day holiday weekends when schools are likely to be closed (e.g., MLK Day or President's Day). These weekends are primo opportunities for units to have an extended outing or activity or go out of council for a more unique experience. Maybe even tie in their activity to the holiday as an educational event.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

We keep the same dates year to year for district events. It makes it simpler for the units to plan their calendars. Occasionally their is an issue with a date. (This year we had to move our Webelos Woods due to Palm Sunday), but for the most part the units know the schedule well ahead of time as We have our calendar posted 18 months ahead. Does council have their dates set that early?

The scout calendars are filled up between, unit, district and council events. You could theoretically do a scouting event every weekend.(sometimes 2) When that happens, you see what you want to do and make a choice what to do

We try and not put district events on council events, but it happens sometimes. We are forutnate to be in a council that runs 3 wood badge courses a year, so if you miss one course, you can always attend another.

For example, I was looking at our calendar today at atlantabsa.org. There is a weekend next ocotber where there will be the second weekend of WB, a cub world activity and a scoutreach event all at Bert Adams. Lots of activity. Bet there will be some leaders who haveto make some choices.

I am totally in favor of Woodbadge, but to cancel an event for the Boys, so a few leaders (who may or may not be necessary to attend) is absurb