As an addition, I would ask your Unit commissioner and District Commissioner and maybe even your Council Commissioner to sit in on this "no confidince board". That's what they get paid (big wink) to do.

Be prepared with information on job descriptions of the Unit Committee Chair position and the other jobs as well. Bring ammo to the war to present in your favor, something that shows your opinions are not just to piss off the committee members, but actual program in print through BSA publications, etc.

I had a sticky situation in my unit with some kids that misbehaved badly at summer camp while I was at the 2005 Jamboree. I asked the Council Commissioner, a friend, to help figure it out as a 3rd party. Worked out pretty well, that's why I'm suggesting it. You don't want to be in the position of chairing a meeting that is an attack on you if you can get away with it. Also, when the meeting comes about, insist that the Parlimentary Procedures are used. I may have a simplified copy of what we used, it really helps difuse contencious meetings and makes everyone get to the point and move on. A meeting like that can get nasty and nose dive into the darkest depths of the human emotional band. Parlimentary procedures limit debate to 5 min per person only and then asks for the questions (or vote) and you're done with it. If you need a copy, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Talk to your SM, COR, IH, UC, DC, etc. and good luck.

I sympethize with your concern. Welcome to the politics of Scouting. Some where in your training, you were told that the Chairman has the power to remove the SM,? Therfore, you assumes you were in charge?? The way I see it, you had no right to command the Scoutmaster,while he was in an active role with his Scouts.. The scoutmaster is in charge of his SPL. And the SPL is in charge of his PLs . The CC has control at his commitee meetings, and may then question the troop leadership, at that time,.. If this was in at the summer camp.?Then this could have been the camp directors job to inform SM of the infraction of the camp rules. I think the Scoutmaster is the one who trains and runs the program in the unit. The boys have to respect the adult leaders. If you have a personality conflict, then my suggestion is to leave the unit, and let the SM run the unit, the way he was trained. ( Do they have this now, ,in the adult training courses ?) Jambo

As a reminder to all,

If there are issues of lack of confidence in a Scouter,

the first correct person to approach is the Committee Chairman. HE/SHE has the right of access to the Chartered Organization Representative (the person who can hire/fire Scouters).

The exception is the Scoutmaster: On program, he has right of access.

If there are issues of confidence with the Committee Chair, Scouters need to take their concerns to the COR. Period.

BSA is a "franchisee" or "licensee" system: We call it Chartering. The community non-profit or business who charters the Scouting system is the owner of record of the unit.

Mr Maynard got the correct advice from Scoutldr and Beavah way back at the front of this thread. This kind of issue gets resolved much faster if done properly and quietly, through the Chartered Partner, its Executive Officer and its COR, than it does in a public whining meeting.

The working democracy in Scouting is for the youth. The job of Scouters is to support the program.

Mr. Maynard,

The other thing you may consider is that this is exactly the type of situation that your Unit Commissioner is there for. If you don't know who it is, contact your District Commissioner. If your COR is "name only" or doesn't want to get involved, your UC or DC can help advocate the proper response.

Bottom line is that, from the facts you have presented us, this "parent" has no vote and no power over the unit to compel any sort of "Board". If he is unhappy, he can vote with his feet and find another unit.

While you may have made some minor mistakes, such as Beavah pointed out, stay strong and don't let them bully you.

...I don't want to rehash this over and over. You have read the other comments on this site, as it is prescribed by the National Council, who in my opinion is very much out of touch in Scouting philosophy ! But, adminstratively they are real proffesionals. I believe Scouting in the unit ,should be run by the dedicated Scoutmaster/ scout leaders in betterement of the program ...and leave the politics out of Scouting. I think, Paden Powell, the founder of Scouting would not like what he sees, if he woould be alive today. It is for the boy that we as adults are in Scouting.... "It's a game for the boy, but a job for the adult leaders". Good and happy Scouting. jambo