I need your help!!!!!!!!!

What is a No Competence Board?

For what reason can one be put together?

Who can sit on it?

Does the committee chairman have to be notified?

Can just anyone put a No Competence Board together?

Thank you

Mr.Maynard

The CC serves at the pleasure of the Chartering Organization. Only they (COR) can remove him/her...(except of course unless their BSA membership is revoked for cause by the Scout Executive.)

Sounds like another example of untrained leaders abusing power (or assuming power they don't have).

i need to know What a No Competence or no confidence Board is?

For what reason can one be put together?

Who can sit on it?

Does the committee chairman have to be notified?

Can just anyone put a No Competence Board together?

Thank you

Mr.Maynard

What in the devil are you talking about?

In my seven years as a Scouter, I've encountered neither a "no confidence" nor a "no competence" board.

Are we talking youth or adults? If we are talking youth, the Committee may hold a Board of Review and require a Scouts' presence. This is especially so if the young man is not advancing, or if there are "gut-check" issues with his honoring the Citizenship Aim and the Ideals Method (Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan). If either case, I'd be talking with the SM before convening the board, as the Committee is approaching entering the program.

If we are talking adults, Scoutldr gave you the short answer: Adults are vetted by the Chartered Partner. Once in place, the Committee Chairman can withdraw portfolios from Members of the Committee, but cannot remove them from the Committee. The CC and the SM are specifically recruited and removed by the Executive Officer and/or the Chartered Organization Representative. Other adults can influence those two individuals, but they do not have a vote!

Have you talked to your Unit Commissioner, District Commissioner, or COR about whatever the issue is?(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Sounds like there is a mutiny afoot against you, the CC, Mr. Maynard.

There are no such things in the BSA as a "No Competence Board" or a "No Confidence Board". So there is no way we can answer your questions.

I think you should have a little talk with your COR to find out what is going on.

Hi All

A little more info on this topic

I am the CC for my troop.

There is one guy putting together a No Competence or confidence Board together to get me out of the troop for what reason I dont know why other than i speak my mind when it comes to team work with the troop or if there is something I feel is wrong I will speak up and tell that person.

For example

We were at summer camp for 2 weeks some for just one week.

Every one was told that before anyone leaves camp the camp will be cleaned as if we were going home and no one else was staying

One leader on our last day of camp got up @ 5am packed up all his gear and was getting the last of it in his car when I woke up and seen him getting ready to leave so I got another leader up to tell him and he stopped him from leaving. Yelling that we need to clean this camp up before anyone leaves.

The Leader picked up 2 patrol boxes put them by the trailer and jumped in his van and took of leaving the rest to the other leaders.

This kind of thing was brought up at the committee meeting I voiced my opinion that no one should leave camp till everything is finished and ready to go.

Dont just get your stuff and leave and leave everything for the rest of the leaders and scouts to do.

Prior to this about 6 months I was on his sons Eagle B.O.R. His son was postponed for 1 week till he finished something the B.O.R. felt he needed to do.

The father got Council involved made a big deal out of it.

The head of Advancement from council told the B.O.R. to handle it after it was explained to him.

Everyone talked after the B.O.R. and figured it was over (DONE).

The father of the scout has never let it go.

So I voiced my opinion at the committee meeting about people not doing their fair share of work in the troop.

Things I had said were not just aimed at this one leader it was at everyone that just sat around while the same people everyday did everything. So now I have one leader putting together a no confidence Board to have me removed from the troop.

A little of me background

I have been in scouting since 2000 I have been a Cub Scout leader then a Boy Scout leader.

CC for the cub scouts for 2 years after I was in boy scouts.

CC for the boy scouts, Merit badge councilor, run outdoor leader training for the Council,

Trainer for the Cub Scout leaders, every scout in my troop knows who I am and I will help every one of them at anytime and they know that.

Some of my Scouts I have even coached in tee ball

Hell I even made my own Knot book and have given it out all over the world via the Internet.

I dont know what else I can do and still I am being told there is going to be a No Competence or confidence Board to have me removed from the troop.

Go to your Chartered Organization Representative NOW and tell him/her what is going on. Either the COR will support you or won't. If you get any indication of any less than full support from the COR, then this is your sign that it is time to move on. Talk to the key leadership (Scoutmaster, key committee members). If you don't have their support it might be time to move on.

This parent can hold as many "no confidence boards" as he wants - they just have no meaning unless that COR gives it meaning. This so-called no-confidence board can't remove you from your position, nor can the committee. It can only recommend to the COR that you be replaced - this is why it's important for you to talk to the COR right away. Hopefully you will have the support of the Scoutmaster and other key leaders - makes it much easier for the COR to tell this so-called "no-confidence board" that while their input is appreciated, there will not be a change in leadership.

Calico

I repeat, you need to talk to your COR & to the head of your CO. They and ONLY THEY, have to ability to remove you from your position in the Troop.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "No Competence Board". If a disgruntled parent/leader puts one together it would carry no weight.

However, if every adult volunteer in the Troop agrees with this person, & wants you to leave, you should take a good hard look at how you interact with the adults you work with. Maybe they have a legitimate complaint. In which case I would still recommend talking to the COR. Only then it would be to see what you can do to mend some bridges.

Only you know for sure what the situation in your Troop is.

All I can say is that I am happy that some body had the guts to stand up and complain about people leaving the camp site and cutting out before the camp is policed. Ive been there on a few occasions( Cub Scouts)and it disturbs me especially when its the Cubmaster and Assistant Cub Master that does it. AND as far as you speaking your mind ( if you do it in a civil matter) I would think that is one of the main parts of your job especially if it concerns BSA Scout policy. I would also think that the "Scout" Oath would be a small part of "Scout" policy, you Know" Helpful, courteous, freindly ,kind etc. etc and I would think picking up after yourself would be covered by that oath.

Do you mind sharing with us or hinting to us as to what the "Scout" needed to finish up to satisfy the BOR? Was it as serious as him flat out not earning a required badge or was somebody just being plain picky? One time are SM would not sign off on a young man who had earned his "Eagle" because he was not in full "A" uniform at the time of the BOR. He was wearing blue jeans. Needless to say that decision caused a few sparks to fly. But the way the SM looked at it, the Scout needed to be in his Full uniform on such an auspicious occasion. There was no doubt that the boy had earned his "Eagle" rank. To this day the young man admits that scouting may have saved his life. Before Scouting" he was nothing but a trouble maker. Caused a lot of problems. But the leaders did not give up or throw him to the woods. Thats what Scouting can do. It gives a kid the chance to focus and a sense of accomplishment when he does good. It gives a boy self self worth.

Yah, there's nuthin' worse than when the adult members of a troop don't have the same vision and ethics, and start squabblin'.

Where is the Scoutmaster and ASMs in all this? They are really the program officers. If there was an error here, it was you approachin' the gentleman in question. That's the Scoutmaster's job, eh? Scoutmaster gets to set the rules for the adult participants and respond if they're not doin' their share. The SM probably has more "social capital" to pull off a successful resolution, eh? And that way you could have done your real job as CC - being the guy who backs up the SM when he needs it. Yeh shouldn't be on da front lines. And individual parent behaviors shouldn't be a topic for a Committee Meetin', eh? Even indirectly. Those are best handled in private. Those are small things to work on better as a CC.

Mr. Maynard, who is your Chartering Organization? In the end, they set your vision and ethics, and decide who represents them as committee members and adult leaders. Sad to say, but often when people get this much on each other's case, the best solution is for the ones that don't have the CO's vision to "part company." Most CO's who aren't actively involved will go with the opinion of the principle volunteers (SM, etc.). You have to decide honestly whether your vision, or this other fellow's, is what the CO/key leaders believe in. And they have to decide, eh?

So go have a chat with your COR if he/she is "real", or go have a chat with your IH (head of your CO, typically a pastor/president). Take the SM with you, and if you can a UC or DE. Lay things out, and ask how he/she would like to proceed. Be willin' to resign if they request it, but also offer a solution. Da typical solution is to have SM and COR meet with the problem parent, listen, explain they have confidence in you, and make it clear they either tow the line or look for another troop. Then next time, remember dealin' with parents is da SM's job. That way you as CC can be the guy who "has a serious chat" with da parent, without havin' to pull your COR into it. ;)

There are other possible solutions. Here are just a few:

Take the high road. Apologize in public for singlin' the man out at the committee meeting and in person (see above), and then change the conversation back to how the job of the committee is to support the Scouters and the program. You can even combine this with the COR giving a short "mission and expectations" talk to the committee.

Give up the CC job to somebody else you know who will do a great job might be one. That might defuse tensions and personalities, and let everybody just go back to supportin' the boys. And da COR combination works here, too, eh?

If you've got the majority support of the committee, just have the "blow out" meeting where he rants and raves, you act polite, he gets voted down and you move on with things, but he feels like he's had his day in court. Not my favorite method, but it can work sometimes.

Bring da SPL and ASPL to the committee meetings; adults often behave better if there are kids around.

Which way yeh should go just depends on the circumstances and personalities, eh? So relax, take a breather, get in a better frame of mind. It's only a little volunteer youth program, eh? Find some perspective, then proceed calmly. But no matter what you choose, you do need to keep your COR "in the loop".

Beavah