Grown man in a Boy Scout uniform .....rant

I don''t worry about how people think I look in a Scout uniform. All I or we can do as leaders is put forth a positive attitude to our youth and others. No, Scouting is not cool anymore and it''s not for everyone but to the young people who are there we need to present a good program so they will stay interested and involved, that also includes the attitude, demeanor, and even the language I chose to use around these young men (Positive I hope). As far as the drugs and the way others live I can only project to these young men that there is a better way, another choice and it can be the right one. Unfortionately I too have many young men from single family homes and in may instances the mothers are actually looking to our leaders for the positive male influence in their sons lives.(No Pressure Here!) Through this program I can touch as many young men as chose to be involved and hopefully head them in a positive direction. YIS, SIG

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumping back in this thread regarding the comments about sports vs. Scouting, and the parent''s decision to choose one over the other. Our new CSE gave a great answer to a question about that, in the latest Scouting magazine:

Scouting: What reason would you give parents as to why their child ought to join a Scout unit?

Mazzuca: In a nutshell, leadership for a lifetime. Give us a child for five years, any combination of those years being in Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, or Venturing, and we will help equip that child for a better life.

I''d tell parents that when they make decisions regarding their children''t time, make recreational decisions based on recreational activities. Don''t count Scouting in that recreational slot. Our goal isn''t to teach your child how to camp. Our goal is to help your child become a responsible, productive adult.

Parents need to understand that it isn''t a choice between their child playing soccer for an hour a week or Scouting for an hour. Scouting is for a lifetime, but soccer is for an hour.

I think I''m really going to like this guy.

When I wear my uniform going into a supermarket or pouring gas (petro) before/after a troop meeting/outing, all that I get are: 1) looks of approval! 2) people walking up to me and telling me that they were scouts once (or even eagle scout), 3) little boys telling their moms ... "Mom, I want to be a scout! 4) ... or questions along the line "Where/when can my son join boy scout?"

May be the fact that we have a strong scouting movement in our Master-planned community ... within the 5 miles radius we have 2 cub scout packs (each with 100+ boys), 3 troops (one 80+, one 40+, and one 15+), and a billion number of girl scout troops (okay ... so I exagerated it a bit ... a million or two!). It is uncool? Neah ... some of the popular boys are in scouting ... some of the jocks are in scouting ... some of the scholarly students are in scouting! It is as recognized as the sports.

Our community paper has at least 2-3 articles about scouts and scouting every month.

Embarrassed of being a grown man in a boy scout uniform ... neah ... proud instead.

Proudest ... when a boy greets me as "Hi, Mr. ...!"