My son is on his way to camp

and my husband and I were not needed to drive this year. This is the first year that he has went to summer camp that we didn't drive him (and several other boys) there.

I am hoping that he can find somewhere to do a pull-up for his SM while at camp. If he does, he will be able to make First Class by the end of the month. He has been waiting so long.

Even if he doesn't, I just hope he has a good time.

My son went to camp earlier this year. But it was Boarding School ... Boarding Team Member Training in the US Coast Guard.

Previously, I sent him off to the Washington State Police Academy and to college.

But, I was never as anxious as when I sent him to his first BSA summer camp. I was confident of the troop (adults and youth) and decided he needed the experience without me along. (I took another portion of the troop on another event). No matter how old they are, you are always "dad" and take a deep breath as you watch them take another big step. But, you are so proud that they are stepping!

Berk Moss, Newberg OR

P.S. Did you ever notice that the Coast Guard motto Semper Paratus (Always Ready) is close to Be Prepared?

Doing a pull-up is the last requirement he has for Tenderfoot. But he also has all of the requirements for 2nd and 1st class done. When he does his pull-up, he will be ready for 1st class.(This message has been edited by kittle)

You mean his troop is not one of those whose opinion is no pullup to half pullup is not improvement so will stall his advancement there, even though most troops are lacking in proper equipment to properly demonstrate pullup's. Most 11 and 12 year olds are similarly lacking in the upper body strength to do pullup's our focus has always been upon the more scout friendly push up, sit up, 1/4 mile run and standing long jump. We are accepting of low pullup counts especially considering the various tree limbs etc. which are the indicated apparatus our CO not approving of our request to install a bar in one of their doorways.

yeah in my troop we advance people who do the best they can.......we just ask to see improvemnt.....im a 15.5 year old wrestler i can only do 6 pull ups.....if your son contuines to have trouble talk with your scoutmaster

but anyways im sure he will love camp....i always have

Yeah, it's sad that a scout can complete every requirement for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class & 1st Class, but because of a troop tradition that a boy must be able to complete at least one pull-up to be a scout.... Sorry, I feel a rant coming on.

The whole debate over what that requirement really means was hashed out a few years back.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=68226&p=1

I don't want to hijack your thread. I hope your son has a great week at camp.

Our troops equipment is a broom or shovel handle over two doors. The SM has told him that if he can show him half a pull-up, he will pass it. My son did one pull up when he joined 3 years ago and has been unable to improve on that. The new SM can honestly say that he has seen him do 0 and then improve over 30 days.

I hope he has a good time.

The pull up thing was discussed a few months ago also. Improvement should mean just that, improvement, he should be moved up. It doesn't say that improvement must be in each of the areas.