Dual registration rules

Could someone point me in the right direction concerning dual registration policies. I am a Scoutmaster and dual registered in the local pack as a Trainer and now want to spin off a Venture Crew from the Troop...MAY I (setting aside the sanity of doing so) also now register as the Crew Adviser or MUST I register in another position in the Crew, say Committee Chair. I have heard many conflicting answers, including from local professionals...What is the REAL policy and where can I find it written?????

There is no prohibit for a Scoutmaster to also be registered as a Venturing Crew Advisor.

The BSA recommends that a key unit leader not be a key leader of another unit. But its just a recommendation (big time committement to be a key unit leader of two units). A commissioner should not be a key unit leader.

The only thing that I could find in writing is on the Adult Application -

"No one may register in more than one position in the same unit, except the chartered organization representative (who can multiple only as the committee chairman (CC) or a committee member (MC))."

That said, being a Scoutmaster and a Crew advisor is a LOT of work.

May I ask - why are you "spinning" off a Venturing Crew from your Troop? What will their area of emphasis be? Will you require the boys to attend both Troop & Crew meetings, or are they transferring from the Troop into the Crew? If the purpose is for high adventure, why not simply form a Venture Patrol within the Troop?

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Like ScoutNut, I'm going to ask questions about why you want to start a Crew?

- Do you have young ladies who want to be part of activities?

- Do you have young men who are going over 18, but want to be in the youth program, rather than grown-ups?

- Do you have a unique activity focus instead of hiking and camping for a program vehicle?

- Do you young men who want activities (eg pistol shooting) prohibited by G2SS from Boy Scout Troops?

There are tools available, including an "Interest Inventory" to help you decide if a Crew is the right approach. Contact your UC or DE for support on this.

I'll try to answer some of your questions....

We are starting a Crew primarily because the boys want to start one...mostly because they want to do some things with just the older boys and they realize they can do more stuff that they want to do, like hand gun shooting and hunting, that they can't do with even a Venture Patrol...They want hunting and shooting to be the activity focus for themselves and to foster youth hunting in the area. These boys "know the deal" they are all seasoned, active as Scouts in the Troop, some have been together since Tiger Cubs, members of the Venture Patrol, will remain active in the Troop, are active in OA (in OA they are or have been Chapter Chief, Vice Chief, Secretary, Lodge Treasurer, Lodge Newletter Chair, Lodge Web Page Chair, Elangomat Chair, Camping Promotions Chair, Conclave Chair, etc.), LLDC staff, NYLT Staff, Cub Scout Day Camp Staff, Boy Scout Summer Camp Staff, etc...and they think the green uniforms are cool...Good, active older Scouts who want to try something different...perfect fit for a Venture Crew from all I have read.

A couple of boys want to join who are older brothers of boys in the Troop that were never in Boy Scouts.

Probably keep it single gender since a co-ed Crew exists 5 miles down the road, the Crew Adviser is the mom of one of the boys in our Troop and we don't want to compete with her Crew for female members...and she has a different activity focus.

Yah, 2Eagle, that's a perfectly reasonable way to go, eh?

Essentially you're running a Venture Patrol within your troop in some ways, but chartered as a Crew so as to operate under the Venturing firearms/hunting guidelines. You'll want to keep a close watch on your time and bring in an Associate Advisor who just works with da crew in order to stay sane, but it's a nice fit.

You definitely can dual as a SM and VA; don't worry about your DE's, your council registrar will be able to handle it. Your crew can also share committee members (the committee members can dual register with both the troop and the crew). The only thing that's necessary is that you have at least 5 youth members whose primary registration is with da crew. So if most of your youth are dual, I'd recommend that you put all your Venture participants as primary in the crew, just for ease/consistency sake (also because the health coverage, if your unit/council uses it, has a higher premium for the crew and yeh want to make sure it's in force for each boy).

Beavah

The COR is the only person in a unit who can be double registered in that unit. So, it is possible for the Charter Org Rep (COR) and the Committee Chairman (CC) to be the same person, but it is not necessary.

So is the charter rep and the CC two different positions? I always thought they where one in the same......

In most cases they're not the same person, Pack 378. In cub packs in particular, da CC is usually an active parent who has the skills to run "the administrative side" of the pack. CC's typically are parents, while COR's often aren't. CC's tend to have a higher turnover. At the Boy Scout/Venturing side yeh do see more COR's who are dual as MC or CC. Seems like as yeh go up the age groups it's a touch more common.

What about MBCs(code 42 I think)? Say you are a Committee Member and an MBC, do you register as both?

Nah, jstevens42. If you're a Committee Member (MC), then you can counsel merit badges as a Committee Member. The MBC registration is only for counselors who otherwise wouldn't be registered in any other capacity (so that the background check gets done on 'em). So if you're registered in a Pack as an Assistant Cubmaster, you can still be a MBC without having to do any additional registration paperwork.

All that's required is approval from your district/council as a MBC. That's a separate process from registration, but yeh have to be registered as something in order to be approved.

Beavah

"What about MBCs(code 42 I think)? Say you are a Committee Member and an MBC, do you register as both? "

You should check with your council. Many councils take the view that they want to have a list of ALL MBCs, even those who are already registered scouters. They do not take the view that being a scouter means you're automatically a MBC.

Also, some want to restrict the number of merit badges an MBC can counsel to a set amount (5-10 or so).

This way, the council can put together a list of merit badge counselors for all merit badges. Most councils will allow for 'troop only' (ie only known by and used by a particular troop), otherwise you will be contacted by anyone in the district/council.

In our council we were told that all MBCs must submit a separate registration, even if they are already registered as a Scouter in another position. There is no fee for the MBC registration, but they did make us submit them.

In our council we were told that all MBCs must submit a separate registration, even if they are already registered as a Scouter in another position. There is no fee for the MBC registration, but they did make us submit them.

LOL :)

Well, there's always somebody somewhere who does it different, eh?

Of course, da BSA counts #of registered volunteers for evaluation and solicitation purposes. More volunteers, more "leverage" for donation dollars, yeh know. More "healthy" a council is, etc.

I wonder if duals as MBC are bein' double counted. Nah, shame on me for even thinkin' it, eh? ;)

emb, the council should always have a separate approval process for MBCs, which is distinct from filin' registration paperwork. Not every registered person can be a MBC, and even a person registered as a MBC can't be an MBC unless/until they're approved through that separate process. Dat's where they're supposed to check things like if a person is applyin' to counsel Aviation, does he actually know anything about aviation?

O'course, I think the breathing and pulse check is the norm. :p