Today I was talking to an Eagle Scout from our Troop. He earned his Eagle in 1937 and told me about taking the train to Arlington to attend what he believed was the first Jamboree. He had some fun and interesting stories about scouting in the 30's and during WW2. Any way, after our visit, I got to thinking that it would be fun to have some of the scouts interview him and some of the older Eagle scouts and start a history of the troop. I can't find such a thing in our archives that we currently have. Our Troop's first recorded Eagle in from 1934 and if our records are correct, the Troop started in 1929. It would be nice to have an 80th anniversary history ready in 2 years! Has any other Troop taken on this endeavor? How did you do it--individual interviews or mailed out questionaires? Our Troop has moved Councils at least twice from what I can gather, so I'm not sure all our records are correct. We are having an Eagle float in our 4th of July parade and are currently in the process of contacting all the Eagles we can find. If any Troop has done a history, we'd love to hear how you did it!

Thanks!

Troop 68 in Arlington Texas does have the history and much of it is archived in the troop web site, you can get ideas from www.troop68.org our troop has a alumnae association and it is very strong to keep the long heritage and legacy alive and going for many years to come. Just last Friday 1 of our troops most active eagles passed away. He received his Eagle from Troop 68 in 1938 and has been very very active supportor of the entire scouting community. He was so beloved and his family felt so much of what scouting did for him. They are waiting 11 days to have his funeral because the troop was at their annual summer camp in Colorado for 10 days and could not disappoint todays scouts. So they are waiting till everyone is home and has a shower before having the funeral next Monday afternoon.

The first National Jamboree was planned for 1935, but had to be cancelled due to the polio epidemic. The Jamboree was rescheduled for 1937. Your troop probably didn't "move councils", however councils have merged and changed boundaries over the years, making records searches impossible in many areas. I think a troop history is important, and I wish we had kept better records over the past 15 years of our charter. A troop with 80 years of continuous charter is worth celebrating! Congratulations!

I checked out your web page sweetspiritpamh--very cool! I'm going to pass that along to our advancement chairperson who is trying to get a page going for us. Thanks for the history on the Jamboree, Scoutldr. It's fun for the boys to read about other Troops and gather new ideas for campouts and activities!