Eagle Scout earns all 122 merit badges

Eagle Scout earns all 122 merit badges

Determined teen aims high, earns all 122 merit badges

08:23 AM CDT on Thursday, June 7, 2007

By BRIDGET BARRY THIAS / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

When 18-year-old Cameron Barber sets his mind on a goal, he achieves it. He earned Eagle Scout status at age 12. This January, he finished his goal of earning all 122 merit badges. The average age for earning Eagle Scout is 17.

LAWRENCE JENKINS/Special Contributor

Cameron Barber, 18, showed great desire to succeed from the time he joined his Boy Scout troop, his Scoutmaster says. This summer, Cameron, who earned Eagle Scout status at age 12, will attend the World Jamboree in London.

"The national council doesn't keep statistics on how many Boy Scouts have earned all 122 merit badges, but they tell me it is very rare," said Michael Ramsey, marketing director of Boys Scouts of America Circle Ten Council.

Harold Sickler, Cameron's Scoutmaster, said: "A month after Cameron joined the troop, I asked him a question I ask all new Scouts, which is: 'What goals do you want to set for yourself in Scouts?' Cameron replied that he wanted to earn his Eagle by 12 and a half because his dad did it at 13 and he would like to top his dad's record."

Cameron's father, Dr. Alan Barber, an orthopedic surgeon in Plano, has been active as a Boy Scout leader for a number of years.

Cameron lives in Frisco and is a junior in high school. He is a member of Boy Scout Troop 714 that meets at Bent Tree Bible Fellowship in Carrollton. The troop is part of the Great Plains District.

"I felt that earning all 122 merit badges would be a unique opportunity to learn about career opportunities and hobbies and get a taste for the adventures they provide," he said.

Additionally, for every five merit badges over what is required for an Eagle, Boy Scouts can earn a palm. Cameron has 20 palms.

Cameron earned his Eagle status by building a concrete walkway at his church. He designed it, recruited a team of workers and led the project.

In the pursuit of his merit badges, Cameron had outdoor adventures varying from white-water rafting to hiking, rappelling and rock climbing. He has traveled to the Philmont Scout ranch in New Mexico and Camp Alexander in Colorado.

"I have learned a lot about nature and how to avoid dangerous situations. The Boy Scout motto is always be prepared," Cameron said.

Earning merit badges also gave him experience at shotgun shooting, gardening and archery.

"I've been able to dabble in careers such as atomic energy and nuclear science, to farming, where you work with plants and animals," Cameron said.

This summer, Cameron will join the adult leaders in accompanying his troop as they attend the World Jamboree in London. He attended a previous World Jamboree in Thailand.

"It was exciting to meet Scouts from all over the world," he said.

Once again setting his sights high, Cameron said his career goal is to be a cardiovascular surgeon. He had a chance to talk to some fathers in his troop who are surgeons by participating in the medicine Scout badge.

Bridget Barry Thias is a freelance writer in Carrollton.

collin@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/collin/stories/DN-frfocus_07cco.ART.North.Edition1.435bbcc.html

I don't see how he could have earned 122. There are only 121 (although that still is a very impressive achievement).

Atomic Energy was renamed Nuclear Science, they are not unique MBs. I suppose he could have earned Skiing and Snow Sports (they are considered different), but the former was cancelled in 1999 (I am assuming Jan. 1, so he would have to have started it in 1998). That was the last one outright cancelled.(This message has been edited by molscouter)

Someone sent me a different article regarding this fella. Apparently he earned a merit badge that has since been discontinued thereby earning one more than are currently available.

Mom is a lawyer, Dad is a surgeon.

From what I understand every year they get 1 or 2 scouts that earn every badge. Yes I have meet 5 scouts who earned Eagle before 13 - each is still envolved in scouting - some were home schooled (parents used the progran as education) the rest felt they enjoyed scouting more than anything. One earned every badge - by the time he had 80 word spread and he had counselors calling him to ask if he had one they offered. He finished the last 2 on his 18th birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I have to agree on the earning the last two on the Birthday. The press release may be a typo however...I don't know for sure...I'm not at liberty to comment on that. They might have meant "by" his 18th b-day...who knows? the previous comment is correct,..Once you are 18...that's it...you are an adult and can't even wear the sash...although one may certainly display it . Very impressive however. This Eagle seems to have a great support system in place...well traveled and seems to have plans for helping others in the future...I wish him the best.

Earning discontinued merit badges as far as I know...was recognised and approved by National back in the transition phase to computers in the late seventy's to mid 80's. One merely requested approval through their local council and then National would give the ok to work on the badge if National felt it was a safe field to study. Pre-approval was nessessary at that time. I'm not sure what the current "Policy and Procedure" is at this current time regarding Discontinued badges.