New assistant scoutmaster in Canada

After lurking for several months on these forums, I decided to take the plunge and become an assistant scoutmaster with a local Scouts Canada troop. I was a youth member from age 5 to age 11 (though in a different town), and it feels good to be back. I know these forums focus mostly on the Boy Scouts of America, but there's enough in common between the two programs that I'm sure I can learn a lot here. This is especially the case since my troop offers a custom-modified version Scouts Canada program, partly inspired by the BSA.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post here to introduce myself. I look forward to interesting discussions!

Hi Dan,

I'm going to take a wild guess that with a name like Lynch, that maybe there is a hint of Ireland in your background?

I have an Aunt on my Mothers side of the family who married a really nice fellow from County Roscommon, named Lynch.

I have heard a lot about the changes that Scouts Canada has made over the past few years.

My cousin lives in Toronto, her son was in Cub Scouts for a while, but didn't go on to Boy Scouts, so I really don't know much about what you guys are up to.

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't tell the other forum members but for the most part they are a good bunch, they accepted little old me -Who isn't a native born American!!

Eamonn.

Thanks for the warm welcome, t158sm and Eamonn.

My great-great-grandfather Lynch was born in Canada, and I don't know much about anyone who came before him, but I'm sure Ireland figures in there at some point or another. ;-)

Scouts Canada has certainly changed a lot in the years since I was a scout, but most of that has been high-level political and organizational stuff. It doesn't seem to have had much of a tangible impact at the ground level. The troop I've recently joined looks an awful lot like the one I was in at age 11.