To weapon or not to weapon

OGE wrote, ""Only a LEO would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime."

Only a Law Enforcement Officer (one who deals with this sort of thing on a regular basis) would originate...

Come on, either take it private or get over it!

Vicki

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not teaching the kids (boys, youth, scouts) to use a weapon. Hopefully many will go on to defend our country or join law enforcement and then learn how to use one (and more importantly, why) Symantics (sp) go a long way in getting a message accross.

As a former NRA "shooting sports" instructor, I never used "weapon" when teaching the boys firearm safety at camp. Gotta tell you though, I sometimes feel the need when communicating with some of you all :)

P.S. Greeting to WCFC and Camp Sandhill...a wonderful camp!

Bubbabear

First, I apologize to any who took offense at my comments, even though no offense was intended. I used LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) in the same way many use Vet. it is much shorter and hopefully is not currently a commonly disparaged acronym. In my experience only those who know and respect the term use it, those who are trying to denigrate LEO's use other terms I won't use here, instead.

Second, I was off of the thread because we were at Summer Camp and I would have tried to stop any misinterpretation of my comments sooner If I had had access...

Thirdly, I understand that some of us are dealing with Cub Scouts and others with Boy Scouts and quite frankly I would much rather have either of them, and their mothers, think of firearms as weapons rather than "paper punches" because it would hopefully induce (underline the following to the period, if I knew how)a level of seriousness every time someone picked one up.

It's not the tool that isn't careful, isn't aware of whether or not it is unloaded, isn't aware of where it is pointed/aimed, wants to try something just this once, doesn't think about what is behind the point of aim... it is the person who is holding it who provides all of the safety associated with it.

And so, we want the boys to think of knives and axes and saws as dangerous and to protect themselves and others from their misuse or careless use - Totin chip anyone? But are we afraid of doing the same with a rifle?

Finally OGE (Old Grey Eagle) if OFS is what I think it is... I don't think you have it at all and am almost always in complete agreement with your posts. And again I apologize for any misinterpretation of my comments that were received as sarcastic or disparaging, especially those not intended to be sarcastic or disparaging.