Correct way to step down as SM

What is the correct way to step down as Scoutmaster? Do you contact your CO first? Or the COR? Or your UC?

If any of you have done this before, I would like to know the right way and also keep the Troop growing instead of sliding backwards.

I know a lot of SM's have put a great amount of time and training (I've completed Wood Badge in my tenure as SM, and did use it to improve the Troop operations) and they would also like to see the next SM to continue with success.

It's been a hard decision to make but also for the past year I have been involved at the District level and have made the decision to put my time and training to the District level. My son has a short time left in Boy Scouts and in a couple of months I will have put 10 years into Scouting in the Pack or Troop level and have donated many dollars, hours, weekends, and vacation days from work for day camp, resident camp and National Jamboree. The funny thing about that is the parents quickly forget the time and dedication you have put into their Scouts. Hopefully the Scouts will remember. I know it will be a part of my life I will never forget.

I would contact your COR, first and foremost. The Chartered Partner has the responsibility to select leaders for the Troop.

The very next call is to the Committee Chair. You and he need to set an actual transition date.

The call after that is to the UC... ask for any pointers on transferring the responsibilities ... he's probably been there and done it, and can give you ideas to trigger activity in you.

Involve your PLC as soon as reasonable as well. They deserve to know that it's happening. If there is any sort of adult struggles in the unit, and your quitting is part of it, THAT they don't need to know.

Be courteous, be gentle in doing the deed. The bridges you built in Socuting may be of value in the rest of your life some other day.

It also depends on the competency of your current ASMs. Is one ready and willing to step into the position? Does your CO have any clue about who to pick for a new SM? If the new SM has little experience and only minimum training, would you be able to hang around as an advisor for a year or two and ease the trauma for the boys?

I had a SM who stepped down and went back to ASM. He was very popular and his remaining with the troop was great ( He was a college professor who was promoted to Dept. Head and could not do everything at the same time anymore). Remaining with the unit during transition will help almost imperceptibly to keep that harmony going.

I would suggest taking a month or 2 off from meetings. Be available for help and consulting. Call the new SM periodically to discuss things and encourage him/her. Never give unsolicited advice like "When I was SM, we did it XXX way" Let them learn.

Yah, it's a call to the CC, COR, and a conversation with your ASMs. Tell all the people who need to be involved with the transition. Don't tell the kids/parents right away, though, give folks some time to get a transition plan in place first.

Give plenty of lead time. Set a specific date for your retirement, at least 3 months out (preferably 6). Having a concrete date focuses everyone's mind; having enough notice ensures enough time to manage the transition.

Consciously "fade" as you approach retirement, so the vacuum is gradual and gives others time to fill in. In particular, don't take a role in long-term program planning (like an annual planning meeting with the boys); it's very hard for any successor to step in to "your" plan. Miss some meetings, miss some outings.

After you retire, stay away from meetings and campouts for a while. It's just too natural for everyone, youth and adults, to keep relyin' on you as "the SM" if you're there. Instead, plan to take your successor to lunch/coffee/etc. at least once a month in a friendly sort of way. Give him a chance to ask questions. Offer ideas. Express how glad you are he took over to keep things goin'; share how hard it was for you at the beginning.

Accept gifts, a retirement party, etc. with grace and good cheer.

And most important, remember when you're at District that all the good work of Scouting happens at the unit level. Make sure your role is always one of respectful, cheerful, service.

Thanks for the time and treasure you've given to America's future.

Beavah

To add on to what Beavah said, make sure that you don't fade too much before you step down. while I was recently serving as SPL, my SM was stepping down. Unfortunately, he started to fade but the new SM (not sure if one had even been chosen at that point), wasn't starting to step up. so I was, in effect, left without a SM.

During my ten years (as a Scout and Adult Leader) we have gone through four different Scoutmasters.

The first two Scoutmasters informed the Unit Committee and Chartered Organization Represenative of their intention to resign from the position. The left the time table open to allow for time to recruit a new Scoutmaster. After the new Scoutmaster was selected the first Scoutmaster completly disappeared and has not been heard or seen since. His replacement was the Advancement Coordinator and Assistant Scoutmaster. He was liked by many of the adults and scouts and was able to delegate.

When he left (because of work) the Scoutmaster selected as appointed on an interm basis. This second Scoutmaster stayed involved as the troop's Venture Patrol Assistant Scoutmaster. He helped plan High Adventure Outings and some bike trips. Unfornatuly we are losing him this year completly because of hime taking a job in a different state.

The interm scoutmaster remained for about a year. He finally left the position amist adult conflicts and the third scoutmaster was appointed. He past away last August and the troop appointed another Scoutmaster.

So basically the correct steps would be what Beavah already mentioned. Let your Unit Committee and Chartered Organization Rep. know of your decision. Tell them that you will remain on until a new Scoutmaster has been selected. Continue to serve as you have in your position. Don't change your game plan just because you are leaving. After the new Scoutmaster is in place continue to remain active in a support role and be there if and when the new Scoutmaster needs advice and guidance.

As a former SM who steped down last year after serving for four years when I said I would only do it for one.

As the Scoutmaster I knew who would make a good SM and who would do just a "L-soot ol Job" I had a very good working relationship with the Troop Committee and the Troop Committee Chairman. I knew it was time...we all must realize this, if you don't know when or you don't know when or what would be best... then most likely your not in touch with the other Troop leaders, the boys and all involved as you should be...I was more in touch with myself and not the Troop and the other leaders. It is difficult...at least it was for me (I had my ego) and diden't want not to give it up.

I did realize that there were others that could do a better job than me...and thats what counts and we should focus on that. We built our Troop on this principle...surround yourself as SM with others that can do a better job than you.

I did let go and the guy that took the position is really great, the boys like him (this is what really counts) the adults really like him (this is only second to the boys)and the troop continues to grow. I took over when the Troop was down to 5 to 7 scouts...now they are knocking down at 55 Scouts with 50 active.

This leadership thing...get those involved that are better than you...look for those people...have them choose those that are better than themselves and so on and so on.

You should contact the COR, but in most Troop I know the position doesn't function as it should and they usually say...you decide and the committee. Discuss it with those close to you first, find the best...at least at the present. There's lots of good people out there with lots of good potential for SM.

Look at this...I could do a better job as advancement chairman than I could at SM...the ASM of quartermaster's can do a better job as SM than I. It's what makes the program work best, it keeps changing we are a movement...keep looking for better ways to keep it moving.

Edited by: Eagle Foot

I am not going to abandon the Troop, I would like to move up to CC, since I was the one responsible getting the Troop to where it is today.

I unerstand the Troop fron the inside out, and also I would like to help get the older Scouts jump started on Eagle projects.

I would also like to have some input to the next SM. There is one SA the Scouts don't like.....they always ask me if "Mr. ________ is going on the campout. I feel we have lost Scouts because of that SA.

I would also make sure that no leaders have a "dual position" in the Troop like SA and Treasurer or MC. Have someone from the community sit on the TC to get their input on the operations.

"It's been a hard decision to make but also for the past year I have been involved at the District level and have made the decision to put my time and training to the District level."

"I would like to move up to CC, since I was the one responsible getting the Troop to where it is today."

Sounds to me like this is more about your ongoing animosity toward the CC & the Troop Committee.

Let the CC, COR, & IH know of your decision and move on.

Now I have had a lot of input on how to step down. I would like to be completely out of the Troop by 4/1/08. I would like to stay as a registered leader in the Troop, just not to be a SM from now to that date. It will give the CO over the summer to find a replacement SM.